MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Highschool Applicant [Health Sci/Life Sci] Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 41 11-23-2012 02:06 PM
Life Science Questions First Year naval23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-04-2012 11:55 PM
Acceptance Questions.. Gorn First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 04-27-2012 11:14 PM
acceptance questions mfattal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 02-19-2011 02:51 PM
3rd Year Life Sci Bsc Questions soft_kitty99 Academics 3 06-19-2010 12:05 PM

First-year Life Sci Acceptance/105D Applicant/Resume Questions

Old 04-24-2014 at 03:20 PM   #1
rorowawo

Liked: 1 Time

First-year Life Sci Acceptance/105D Applicant/Resume Questions
Okay, I'm a 105D OUAC applicant, and I'm applying for McMaster's Life Science program. I also applied at Queen's and UofT, but my application for Queen's was pulled because of not sending in the resume on time(I really didn't want to go there anyway, so it's fine). I have the marks I need, but the resume that is necessary is what I'm worried about, and according to a guidance counselor at my school, the resume is a crucial factor when being accepted.

My resume is pretty much just two seasonal jobs over the course of 2 and a half years, and I also put a summer school course I took on there(not sure if it was even supposed to be on it). I don't have anything else to fill it with, I ended up dropping out of high school in the first place because of really bad familial issues. I had to live in youth shelters for over a year, and then when I returned home I was dealing with severe depression and spent everyday cooped up in my house until I finally mustered up the strength to finish school. I know I can send a letter of extenuating circumstances, but I'd think that letting McMaster know that I used to be somewhat of a delinquent and that I suffer from severe depression would hinder my chances of being accepted. It's already fairly late in the application process, and I'm scared that it may even be too late for me to do anything about it...

I have all 6 grade 12 credits, and my average comes out to a 90 on the dot, with all required courses(including calculus). I had the idea that as long as my mark was above the cut off, I was almost guaranteed acceptance, but now I'm hearing otherwise and I'm quite worried.

So what do you guys think I should do? What are my chances of being accepted?

ONE OTHER QUESTION: Are your previous institutes stated on your transcript? Will having them on your OUAC application suffice, or do I have to send them in separately?
Old 04-24-2014 at 09:06 PM   #2
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

I think you will fit in Mac nicely, we have a lot of 1st year students with mental problem. You are fine as long as you are going to LifeSci not HealthSci.

Edit: for 105D, all your ON/BC/CEGEP transcripts are automatically sent to the university given that you provided the necessary information.

rorowawo says thanks to topkek for this post.
Old 04-24-2014 at 09:43 PM   #3
rorowawo

Oh, alright, that's great then.

My main concern is about the resume that's required for 105 applicants though, do you think the fact that it doesn't have much on it will hurt my chance of being accepted? Should I maybe send a letter of extenuating circumstances detailing the depression? (as of now, they have nothing but my marks and my poor excuse for a resume, they have no knowledge of my mental health)

And thanks a lot for the reply, I appreciate it

Edit: oh, and who/where would I send a letter of extenuating circumstances to?
Old 04-24-2014 at 11:08 PM   #4
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

Abuse the mental health history as much as you can. McMaster love eating up that stuff. Or you know, man up and stop hiding behind your past. What's wrong with marks nowadays when a 90% average is considered low enough to not guarantee admission to a non specialize degree?

Life Science is where students fall down to when they can't get into Health Science. Just relax and wait it out, don't stress too much. Applications in, all required forms sent, now its time to enjoy your summer before school starts. Looks like the reason why they are replying back to you later is because you applied later (hence your application to Queen was pulled due to missing the dead line).
Old 04-24-2014 at 11:28 PM   #5
rorowawo

105D applications are entirely different than 101, if I hadn't been out of school for as long as I had been, the 90% average would suffice(and it probably will anyway). I was really hoping that I'd get a reply from someone who has experience with 105, but anything will do. And I didn't apply late, I wasn't asking about that. I haven't received my acceptance letter(or letter of refusal) because my courses/documents weren't complete.

I appreciate the reply, but what's with the pompous/wannabe-shrink tone? I'm hardly "hiding behind my past" if I've since finished school and am inquiring about my acceptance into university. And I don't want to have to send in a letter or "milk" my history, but if they required an explanation, I wouldn't be lying to say that I was stuck in the dumps for a while.
Old 04-25-2014 at 08:28 AM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

I didn't even know 105 applicants had to send in a resume
You could always try calling the school - it might be too late to send in a letter of extenuating circumstances, but they can tell you for sure.
Old 04-28-2014 at 04:30 PM   #7
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

Mac will decide on a cutoff mark (two years ago it was 89, last year i think it was lower) and if you are above that then you will be accepted. It all depends on how many people apply what they will select the cutoff to be. I highly doubt the cutoff will be above a 90% so don't stress! Good Luck!