MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

First year over-whelming

Old 09-22-2009 at 07:27 AM   #1
MrSmith

Liked: 4 Times

First year over-whelming
Hi guys is it just me or is first year so overwhelming i feel so stressed since im already getting behind on my readings for some classes like sociology and linguistics. just wanted to see how everyone else is doing? Also for the commerce program is there some sort GPA that must be attended before going into 2nd year.

Lois likes this.
Old 09-22-2009 at 07:43 AM   #2
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

You need at least a 5.0 GPA to get into Commerce II.

As far as staying on top of your readings, try to force yourself to finish them right after your classes are done for the day so that you can catch up. Obviously I don't know if you have a part time job, or are loading yourself down with extra-curriculars, but time management will help you not fall behind on your readings.

P.S. For sociology, I would just do the readings prior to the midterms haha. Go cramming!
Old 09-22-2009 at 07:53 AM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Don't worry, first year is often overwhelming. The workload is a lot more than that of highschool, so just take a deep breath and try to make a schedule for yourself and your readings. Linguistics... you don't have to read too much, just make sure you understand all the concepts and know all the symbols that Dr. Moro goes over in lecture, you'll be fine.
Old 09-22-2009 at 10:10 AM   #4
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Go to CSD. Seriously. They will actually help you by determining what your weaknesses are and the best way to combat them; whether it be helping you manage time more effectively, or study better etc.

It's a lot of upper year students and post-grads who have been through a lot of these situations and helped a lot of students through tough times, so they have experience in these matters.
Old 09-22-2009 at 12:50 PM   #5
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
P.S. For sociology, I would just do the readings prior to the midterms haha. Go cramming!
They changed the profs this year though. =/

But last year that course was so chill.
Old 09-22-2009 at 04:44 PM   #6
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

You should see 2nd year O_o

And it ain't pretty.

Old 09-22-2009 at 04:48 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post

And it ain't pretty.
Ya seriously... I've only gotten like 6 hours of sleep over the past three or four days.
Old 09-22-2009 at 04:49 PM   #8
Bobby66
was offline, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Ya seriously... I've only gotten like 6 hours of sleep over the past three or four days.
And protas lectures are not helping either

Old 09-22-2009 at 04:53 PM   #9
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
And protas lectures are not helping either
lol, I hate that guy's class, but the other profs suck even more and are at worse times. I think I'm gonna try and learn myself from the book like I did last year.

.... I wonder how many people actually know what's going on in his class :p.
Old 09-22-2009 at 05:21 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I know exactly how you feel, especially with science and all the labs and whatnot. I'm behind too on my readings, if that makes you feel better , haha. Anyway, I'm trying to catch up everyday as much as possible, especially by going to the library and using time between classes since by the time all your lectures are done, you'd probably be really tired. So it doesn't hurt to relax for a bit/eat something and set your goals for the rest of the day. Having a to-do list and planner is helping me sort out everything, so you might want to look into getting one perhaps. Also, use the MSU calendar, it's overwhelming looking at the ton of stuff I have to do till the end of term, but it keeps me focused and up-to-date. Try that, and if you need help from others, I would definitely check out the Centre for Student Development (CSD) like Rohan mentioned, or at least their website to check the type of resources and services they have to offer =]!

-> http://csd.mcmaster.ca/
Old 09-22-2009 at 05:44 PM   #11
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:

And it ain't pretty.
meh..comp eng has 4 courses..but i agree with both of u..math blows...i wish it was childs who got promoted..1st yrs already have mcclean(he's apparantly better than childs)..childs is just icing on the cake..

Old 09-22-2009 at 06:05 PM   #12
Bobby66
was offline, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
meh..comp eng has 4 courses..but i agree with both of u..math blows...i wish it was childs who got promoted..1st yrs already have mcclean(he's apparantly better than childs)..childs is just icing on the cake..
Learning calc. all by yourself, no more discussion boards, expensive textbooks and term 2, we have one course all the way at like 6:30pm completely random. (way to resolve conflict )

Old 09-22-2009 at 06:15 PM   #13
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Learning calc. all by yourself, no more discussion boards, expensive textbooks and term 2, we have one course all the way at like 6:30pm completely random. (way to resolve conflict )
ya that rly pissed me off, not to mention how 4 out of the 5 days start at 830am...i actually sent protas a message to add a discussion board..lets see what he'll say..

it would be nice if comp and elec eng ppl really sit down and fix these problems is a proper manner

Old 09-22-2009 at 06:17 PM   #14
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Don't say that about the discussion boards as its possibly coming in a different form
Plus, I doubt WebCT is going down anytime soon, as my Accounting prof as well as my Mech Eng prof both switched to WebCT for the next little while.
Old 09-22-2009 at 06:59 PM   #15
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

I know exactly how you feel =/
trying to understand stupid calculus, doing stupid online psych lectures, papers for philos + inquiry...
and, OH, the READINGS!!

grrr, university -_-

I miss high-school! lol. well not really, just the workload.

~*Sara*~ likes this.