MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

First year over-whelming

Old 09-24-2009 at 10:09 PM   #31
mcinside
Elite Member

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
1st year physics was a binder of death, just by staring at its hugely binder with millions of 3 punched paper, just mocking you.
Lol, it was like that for me in highschool...I didn't even look at them in the end because, in my head, I knew that it would be stupid trying to fit it all in my head. So I just left it on my desk and slept the whole day before the exam...
I plan to do the same thing for physics this year =D
Old 09-24-2009 at 11:12 PM   #32
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Yay! I'm not alone then Haha
Old 09-25-2009 at 08:48 AM   #33
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
You should see 2nd year O_o

And it ain't pretty.
You should see grad school. ): At least everything is flexible now, given that I'm in one class of 4 people, haha.

In most programs, 2nd year is when expectations rapidly shift. Science and Engineering for instance, have a very large amount of review and for lack of a better word, 'coddling' in first year, giving it a more highschool-like feel than upper years. (Not all programs / courses are like this however...I remember I got slaughtered in first year and then second year was a joke for me while all my friends suffered).

The expectations are what rapidly change...from 1st to 2nd year, the courses almost instantly become more inquiry-based, requiring the student to 'ask good questions' and really think deeply about the material.

From 2nd to 3rd, or 3rd to 4th, although the expectations do change, it's not as huge a jump.

So to the first and 2nd years: This is when you're being tested...don't give up! It gets easier with time. (:

And if anyone needs a little encouragement...in particular someone who could also provide me with some :p...feel free to contact me. Not to toot my own horn, but I've been told I'm pretty good in the encouragement department (face to face that is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
..math blows...
BLASPHEMY!

Last edited by Mowicz : 09-25-2009 at 08:51 AM.

crazyfree, Geek, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 09-26-2009 at 11:47 PM   #34
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Shoot. Your post didn't exactly make me feel better :( haha, I'm dying now, it's nice to know I'll be dying until the end of next year :( . Oooh I like encouragement haha
Old 09-27-2009 at 12:44 AM   #35
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Shoot. Your post didn't exactly make me feel better :( haha, I'm dying now, it's nice to know I'll be dying until the end of next year :( . Oooh I like encouragement haha
Something else to take into consideration. Take some electives in second year. I'm not dying, but it's A LOT of work... I have 1 elective out of 10 courses >.<
Old 09-27-2009 at 12:53 AM   #36
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

That's actually a great idea! Would some of the required courses also be offered in the summer, to try and lighten up the load during the year perhaps?
Old 09-27-2009 at 12:56 AM   #37
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
That's actually a great idea! Would some of the required courses also be offered in the summer, to try and lighten up the load during the year perhaps?
Organic Chemistry is offered during summer... I never really checked into summer school so I don't have any answers for it. like when the list comes out and when we sign up, etc...

~*Sara*~ says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 10-04-2009 at 10:47 PM   #38
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I heard organic is one of the worst for summer school. I don't know if it's true or not, but considering how nasty orgo can be and how condensed summer school is, it sounds about right. Doing a minor in summer is another idea, if you have a restrictive program. I'm not sure about what summer school courses are avaliable, though, but 3 or 4 courses a year will easily finish it off. I've actually been thinking about it a bit.

Can you do summer school in year iv and get the minor? ex: if you do 2, 2, 2 and 2 over the four years. I'm not sure how it works.

My parents think summer school would be a good idea to keep me busy. I'm considering it, but only for the first term, I think, while my sisters are still in school and I can still concentrate.

Since we're talking about electives, all mine are going to be hard-ish -points down- but it should be all right, since I like those courses.

--------------

To reply to the first post, yeah, I'm finding I'm doing homework most of the night, though most of it is self-induced. I do chem textbook notes and redo psych notes - it's really time consuming.
Old 10-04-2009 at 11:34 PM   #39
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Second year is actually much easier than first, imo. You might just have all your tests in one week instead of spread out over the month.

Bleh, summer school. If you decide to do courses in the summer, make sure that you still take a full course load for the purposes of graduate schools.
Old 10-05-2009 at 07:19 PM   #40
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I prefer having all the tests together, the week is horrible, but it's worth having an easy month or so.

I'll remember that about summer school, since I'm going to try to win the lottery and get into med school.
Old 10-05-2009 at 07:26 PM   #41
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I prefer having all the tests together, the week is horrible, but it's worth having an easy month or so.

I'll remember that about summer school, since I'm going to try to win the lottery and get into med school.
I prefer having them together as well. As long as you time manage, you'll do fine.
Old 10-05-2009 at 08:11 PM   #42
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I heard organic is one of the worst for summer school. I don't know if it's true or not, but considering how nasty orgo can be and how condensed summer school is, it sounds about right. Doing a minor in summer is another idea, if you have a restrictive program. I'm not sure about what summer school courses are avaliable, though, but 3 or 4 courses a year will easily finish it off. I've actually been thinking about it a bit.

Can you do summer school in year iv and get the minor? ex: if you do 2, 2, 2 and 2 over the four years. I'm not sure how it works.

My parents think summer school would be a good idea to keep me busy. I'm considering it, but only for the first term, I think, while my sisters are still in school and I can still concentrate.

Since we're talking about electives, all mine are going to be hard-ish -points down- but it should be all right, since I like those courses.

--------------

To reply to the first post, yeah, I'm finding I'm doing homework most of the night, though most of it is self-induced. I do chem textbook notes and redo psych notes - it's really time consuming.
Nah, my two friends who took Orgo this summer, were so glad they did it in summer rather than in the school year because you are focussing on one subject only. I did cell bio and ecology in the summer... it was no big deal either and I appreciated having small class sizes. A lot of the friends that I made in those classes were doing biology as a minor so yep, it's definitely helpful to work towards your minor through summer, or free up electives as well during the school year.
Old 10-05-2009 at 09:34 PM   #43
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Pretty much it all comes down to whether or not you can get the job done. You will be tested and pushed harder than ever. If you pass it will be fulfilling. Not to mention that it will assure you that anything is possible. You don't necessarily need to always be on top of things, but be smart in your strategy (perhaps you load up on one class's readings for 2-3 weeks and then focus on assignments and other readings). The main thing is to "git er done".
Old 10-05-2009 at 10:50 PM   #44
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

Yeah no way...organic was awesome during the summer. Well maybe not awesome but I'm soo glad I did it over the summer. And yeah it's condensed but, it's only one subject, so even if you work or something...you should have more than enough time to keep up with the coursework.
Old 10-09-2009 at 12:26 PM   #45
Saleha

Liked: 17 Times

definitely, i'd actually recommend you take it in the summer- the pace was not fast at all, in fact the first three or four chapters were review and most people thought it was going slow!
in the year, it's harder to juggle i think.
PS here i'm talking abt 2OA3, haven't taken 2OB3 but planning on doing it next summer.