MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinion On First Year Profs mtariqq First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 07-11-2014 04:14 PM
Do 1st year profs post exam marks? naval23 Academics 5 01-07-2013 11:29 AM
First Year Bio Profs gggggg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 62 05-31-2011 10:46 AM
Anyone who has had these first year profs? Vuci Academics 12 01-11-2011 09:54 PM
Profs blast lazy first year students Lois General Discussion 1 04-11-2009 06:59 PM

First year Profs

Old 07-23-2014 at 07:37 PM   #1
Gaviie

Liked: 0 Times

First year Profs
Chem 1A03 - Goward
Bio 1M03 - Stone
Econ 1B03 - Holmes
Envir science 1G03 - Padden
Bio 1A03 - Kajiura
Physics 1L03 - Nejat
Chem 1AA3 - Lock
Psych 1XX3 - Kim
Anthrop 1AA3 - McGarry
Math 1LS3 - Clements

How are these profs in terms of their teaching methods/styles, in understanding them and in their helpfulness? Thanks!
Old 07-23-2014 at 09:42 PM   #2
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Dr. Padden is a pretty good prof and she is easy to talk to. She is very helpful in terms of the course content. Her tests are very straightforward and easy.

Dr. Kim - well you will hardly see him in person but only in the online modules. I only had him as a prof in person when I took psych in summer school.
Old 07-24-2014 at 10:59 AM   #3
Whelmed

Liked: 6 Times

STONE - Not the most interesting or engaging prof in the world, but he gets the information across. I thought his tests were fair too, but it was hard for me to memorize all the content about How Humans Evolved, and you might get some funky questions.
KIM - We'll never see him in real life lmao. Does he even exist? We don't know. (Real talk, his modules are good and easy to understand, but often jam packed with info, especially in 1XX3)
NEJAT - Had him for PHYSICS 1LS3, but I really enjoyed his teaching. I thought he was very engaging and he broke things down in a way that I understood. Be warned, he WILL force you to speak in class, but it's tough love. Work with him, not against him. He wants you to do well.
LOCK - Love her. She's fantastic and super nice, and I found her pace suited me a bit more. She won't leave the majority of the class behind if she can help it. Once again, can't go wrong with her.
CLEMENTS - Haven't had her, but I've heard a lot of good things about her.
KAIJURA - I personally thought she added a bit too much supplementary info to the course (she likes to talk about cancer), and she could have gone a bit more in depth during lecture, but other than that, she's a good prof.
Old 07-24-2014 at 11:12 AM   #4
knguyens2

Liked: 1 Time

I found this website to be helpful.

http://www.ratemyprofessors. com/Se...jsp?sid =1440

Example, Goward for Chemistry:
http://www.ratemyprofessors. com/Sh...p?tid=1 11656
Old 07-27-2014 at 04:14 PM   #5
macskittles

Goward: Personally I didn't really find class interesting with her. She was okay in my opinion but not the best chem prof.
Holmes: Econ itself was easy but Holmes was amazing. She was really nice and helpful, all the tests and the exam was fair. I found the material to be dry but overall good course and good prof. Plus she gave a lot of bonus marks.
Nejat: He really cares about his students. He does pick on people in class but he is funny and a great prof. He made physics enjoyable. If you ever need help in physics don't be afraid to talk to him. He's really helpful and wants all his students to succeed.
Lock: She is one of the best prof's I've had so far. She really engages the class when teaching and she also does a lot of demo's with the help of the students. Most of the time she goes at a good pace. The only thing I didn't like is sometimes we would be stuck on a topic for a while due to the class not understanding the content but for a person who does understand what is going on class can be boring.
Kim: His modules are jam packed with info and some of them take a lot of time to take notes to it. His quizzes have a bit of a learning curve to it but they do get easier. The content is pretty interesting, Live lecture wise we didn't have Kim so I don't know how he is as a lecturer.
Old 08-04-2014 at 12:17 PM   #6
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

LOCK is AMAZING love her! One of my fav first year prof.
Goward is alright too but I wish I would have taken it with Brock.
Stone was an alright prof...but his tests were pretty difficult!
Kim is a good prof but the content of psych 1x03 and 1xx3 is a little dry. Im a PNB major so I can tell you that you shouldn't base your opinion on intro psych... future psychology classes (second year+) are REALLY interesting!

aaam319 says thanks to LauraV for this post.
Old 08-05-2014 at 10:09 AM   #7
aaam319

First Year Pros
I know that others have posted this type of message, which I will look at. With that said, should I be worried if I currently have:

Life Sci Math: Leon Sanchez
Bio 1A03: Kajiuara
Bio 1M03: Quinns and Evans
Chem 1A03: Brock
Chem 1AA3: Brock
Physics 1B03: Wilson
Old 08-06-2014 at 10:43 AM   #8
Whelmed

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaam319 View Post
I know that others have posted this type of message, which I will look at. With that said, should I be worried if I currently have:

Life Sci Math: Leon Sanchez
Bio 1A03: Kajiuara
Bio 1M03: Quinns and Evans
Chem 1A03: Brock
Chem 1AA3: Brock
Physics 1B03: Wilson
BROCK: Fantastic prof. He's super nice and friendly, and a great teacher as well. He loves to do demos (Read as: Blow things up) You can't go wrong with him. It's impossible not to like in my opinion
SANCHEZ: If you can, anyone but him. He's terrible. Unorganized, doesn't explain things well, and it's hard to understand him. Run.
KAIJURA: See my earlier reply.
Old 01-06-2015 at 10:00 PM   #9
lacarime

Hey,
I am taking the Anthro 1AA3 and I was wondering what Dr. McGarry was like. How did you find the class and the professor? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-26-2015 at 08:11 PM   #10
macrauder15

I have Nejat for Physics 1B03 and he has a very different style of teaching but it forces you to remember all the concepts because you might be getting picked on at any time. I find that he really cares about you learning as well, he's a really nice guy and a great teacher imo. But definitely not for everyone