MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I get an upper-year's opinion on software eng? Esoremada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 12-08-2013 02:42 PM
Opinion on these profs Sb1995 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-21-2013 10:45 AM
Do 1st year profs post exam marks? naval23 Academics 5 01-07-2013 11:29 AM
First Year Bio Profs gggggg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 62 05-31-2011 10:46 AM
Anyone who has had these first year profs? Vuci Academics 12 01-11-2011 09:54 PM

Opinion On First Year Profs

Old 07-10-2014 at 09:47 AM   #1
mtariqq

Liked: 0 Times

Opinion On First Year Profs
PSYCH1X03-Kim, J.
CHEM1A03-Brock, D.
BIOLOGY1M03-Bolker, B.
PHYSICS1B03-Nejat, RM.
ENGLISH1A03-Donaldson, JW.
PSYCH1XX3-Kim, J.
CHEM1AA3-Lock, P.
MATH1LS3-Clements, E.
ENGLISH1AA3-Hyman, R.
BIOLOGY1A03-Kajiura, LJ.

How were these profs in terms of being able to understand the content they are teaching, how effective their teaching method/style is and are they approachable/helpful?
Thanks a bunch in advance!
Old 07-10-2014 at 09:59 AM   #2
bae_

Liked: 4 Times

Brock - Awesome prof, engaging, clear, concise, nice, just a great prof.
Lock - Again, a great prof. Her and Brock are the best for first year chem IMO
Nejat - Doesn't speak clear, fluent English (heavy accent), so it'll be difficult to understand him at times. Still, a good prof nonetheless, he will pick on people during lectures

mtariqq says thanks to bae_ for this post.

mtariqq likes this.
Old 07-10-2014 at 10:41 AM   #3
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

Hyman is a great prof, but he doesn't post slides in lecture or on Avenue so you can't really afford to miss lectures. Many of the books he chooses are also about war, history, etc. So if you'd prefer something different, take it in the other semester.

mtariqq says thanks to SweetyTweety for this post.

mtariqq likes this.
Old 07-10-2014 at 12:16 PM   #4
mtariqq

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetyTweety View Post
Hyman is a great prof, but he doesn't post slides in lecture or on Avenue so you can't really afford to miss lectures. Many of the books he chooses are also about war, history, etc. So if you'd prefer something different, take it in the other semester.
I don't mind history at all! How is the work load in his class?
Old 07-10-2014 at 12:17 PM   #5
mtariqq

Quote:
Originally Posted by bae_ View Post
Brock - Awesome prof, engaging, clear, concise, nice, just a great prof.
Lock - Again, a great prof. Her and Brock are the best for first year chem IMO
Nejat - Doesn't speak clear, fluent English (heavy accent), so it'll be difficult to understand him at times. Still, a good prof nonetheless, he will pick on people during lectures
Are the tests and labs reasonable for Nejat's class? Does he ever have any like pop quizzes? Physics is the one class I am really worried about
Old 07-10-2014 at 01:11 PM   #6
celtics_fan

Liked: 12 Times

Clements is an awesome prof for math and I personally liked Kajiura a lot- her teaching style and expectations are pretty straight-forward... some people did disagree with me though! Also Lock was hands down the best chemistry prof I have had and she really cares about her students

mtariqq says thanks to celtics_fan for this post.

mtariqq likes this.
Old 07-10-2014 at 04:11 PM   #7
mtariqq

Thank you!
Old 07-10-2014 at 05:51 PM   #8
cudizOne

Liked: 2 Times

Kim is an android you will only see him in podcasts unless you are one of the lucky few to see him in real life and when you do it will traumatize you because you will have to admit that he is a real person.
Brock was hands down the best prof I've had! He's really funny and makes the content interesting while going at a pace that you can understand at. He's VERY approachable and answers a lot of questions in class as well.
Lock is a really sweet lady and I can see why people love her but after having Brock for 1A03 I was bored out of my mind in 1AA3. However, she is also really approachable and helpful.
Clements was my second favourite professor. She's really chill and reminded me of a high school teacher. Just take down the examples and notes she provides and do the practice problems in the course book, and you'll do well.

mtariqq likes this.
Old 07-11-2014 at 01:55 PM   #9
Whelmed

Liked: 6 Times

KIM - You'll never see him in real life lmao. Does he even exist? We don't know.
BROCK - Fantastic and super friendly. Can't go wrong with him.
NEJAT - Had him for PHYSICS 1LS3, but I really enjoyed his teaching. I thought he was very engaging and he broke things down in a way that I understood. Be warned, he WILL force you to speak in class, but it's tough love. Work with him, not against him. He wants you to do well.
LOCK - Love her. She's also fantastic and super nice, but I found her pace suited me a bit more than Brock. She won't leave the majority of the class behind if she can help it. Once again, can't go wrong with her.
CLEMENTS - Haven't had her, but I've heard a lot of good things about her.
KAIJURA - I personally thought she added a bit too much supplementary info to the course (she likes to talk about cancer), and she could have gone a bit more in depth during lecture, but other than that, she's a good prof.

Can't comment on the others...

mtariqq likes this.
Old 07-11-2014 at 04:14 PM   #10
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtariqq View Post
PSYCH1X03-Kim, J.
CHEM1A03-Brock, D.
BIOLOGY1M03-Bolker, B.
PHYSICS1B03-Nejat, RM.
ENGLISH1A03-Donaldson, JW.
PSYCH1XX3-Kim, J.
CHEM1AA3-Lock, P.
MATH1LS3-Clements, E.
ENGLISH1AA3-Hyman, R.
BIOLOGY1A03-Kajiura, LJ.

How were these profs in terms of being able to understand the content they are teaching, how effective their teaching method/style is and are they approachable/helpful?
Thanks a bunch in advance!
Brock: Good chem prof, he is cute and funny....
Kim: I thought he was a great lecturer for 1xx3, his online modules and quizzes are not that great imo.
Lock: Best chem prof/teacher I have ever had, she is clear, concise and straight to the point... I understood everything she taught me in 1st year.
Clements: Very good math prof and incredibly nice.
Kajiura: She is a decent bio prof, I would say one of the best in the bio department, but the bio department is pretty abysmal. She is a good prof for 1st year, but I have seen better profs.

mtariqq likes this.