Your opinion on OSAP HeatherH General Discussion 19 07-20-2009 01:35 PM
Opinion Please frantic General Discussion 5 05-06-2009 01:36 AM
Need opinion on a design Chad General Discussion 14 05-30-2008 09:19 AM

Opinion on these profs

Old 08-20-2013 at 11:41 AM   #1
Sb1995

Liked: 0 Times

Opinion on these profs
Hey I was just wondering if anyone could tell me about these profs and their style of teaching..I am attending Engineering 1 in September.

Chem(1E03): R.Dumont
Econ(1B03): H.Holmes
Eng(1D04): S.Smith
Physics(1D03): JS.Preston
Math(1ZA3): D.Haskell
Eng(1P03): R.Fleisig

-Thanks
Old 08-20-2013 at 12:43 PM   #2
Bubbles1111

Liked: 19 Times

Dumont's style is basically reading off the lecture slides he gives you. He explains the concepts very briefly and I found that reading the textbook was much more beneficial than his explanations. He'd go on tangents a lot..one time the majority of the class was just him talking about his car falling apart. However, he did provide help for the online quizzes which was nice of him Also, his midterms and exams were very fair and there was no tricks or traps. Last year, we had no choice but to take Dumont for chem but I'm not sure if its the same this year..

Holmes is an excellent prof. Her lecture slides are amazing, she posts podcasts of her lecture in case you missed it, and she provides a lot of past tests for extra help. Another thing that I liked was that she gave us 5 bonus quizzes that were super easy. Her midterms were a breeze but her exam has historically been a killer. Make sure you study lots for that.

Smith was okay. There's nothing much I can say about him, we only had 12 lectures in total for the entire course. His lectures were mandatory and were basically just a bunch of iClicker questions. You learn how to program in your labs and tutorials and all the midterm material was in his slides. Now that I think back, I don't think it matters which prof you get for this course...but if you have Smith, stick with him because I don't think that Farmer is any different.

I've heard good things about Preston. I had Okon as a prof last year and he was great. Scary...but great. If you could get Okon, that'd be perfect but Preston is good too Sorry not much I can say about him

Haskell too is someone I'm not really familiar with..If McLean is teaching 1ZA3 this year, you probably want to get into his class. McLean is one of the best teachers at Mac and he makes the lectures fun and interesting. Definitely try to get into his sections.

Fleisig is the only prof 1P03 has and he's pretty good. He makes a boring course kind of interesting and he's good to talk to.

Sorry for the overload of info..I had nothing better to do
Old 08-20-2013 at 01:03 PM   #3
hom3

Holmes is an awesome prof. She gives so much for you to understand the material. If you plan on taking any 2nd year classes with her, I advise to take them.
Old 08-20-2013 at 04:38 PM   #4
Sb1995

Thank's for the replies! I will probably keep everything but I'm still curious about Haskell for math, will i notice a tremendous difference with Mclean or should I just keep it as is..
Old 08-20-2013 at 04:52 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sb1995 View Post
Hey I was just wondering if anyone could tell me about these profs and their style of teaching..I am attending Engineering 1 in September.

Chem(1E03): R.Dumont
Econ(1B03): H.Holmes
Eng(1D04): S.Smith
Physics(1D03): JS.Preston
Math(1ZA3): D.Haskell
Eng(1P03): R.Fleisig

-Thanks
Dumont the french guY? I don't remember if that was him but his experiments were awesome. Lectures not so
Holmes was terrible. Just read off slides boring voice etc. You can survive with just the slides
Smith: Even more boring
Preston: No clue but Okon best prof
Haskell: no clue but mclean is generally best (childs is too)
Old 08-20-2013 at 04:54 PM   #6
Sb1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Dumont the french guY? I don't remember if that was him but his experiments were awesome. Lectures not so
Holmes was terrible. Just read off slides boring voice etc. You can survive with just the slides
Smith: Even more boring
Preston: No clue but Okon best prof
Haskell: no clue but mclean is generally best (childs is too)
Lol that doesn't seem good at all..
Old 08-20-2013 at 05:46 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

I forgot to add. Fleisig is really good lecturer although the content is kinda meh. You can try to switch your profs around. The only stellar profs i remembered (in my opinion I liked) were from math and okon for physics
Old 08-21-2013 at 10:45 AM   #8
Sb1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
I forgot to add. Fleisig is really good lecturer although the content is kinda meh. You can try to switch your profs around. The only stellar profs i remembered (in my opinion I liked) were from math and okon for physics
Alright thanks but do you think I'll be fine if I leave it as is