MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

First Year Surprises

Old 07-20-2009 at 11:27 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
let's say you're a diligent student from Day 1.
You study, attend classes, tutorials, communicate with professors and TAs, speak to the CSD if you're having problems that would affect academic performance, relax, participate outside the class to maintain balance and prevent stress, eat and drink, sleep well, and steal some of the neurons of some smart people...I won't say who...they may be listening...in your spare time...

Anything else to "seal" the deal?
Are you planning on stealing Greg's neurons? Lol

That is perfect though. IF you can follow all that, you should do very well. Basically just study, eat, sleep, get help and find a stress reliever. A great one is working out.
Old 07-20-2009 at 11:28 PM   #17
TheAxtmann

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
The amount of people in first year engineering who had no idea how to use a computer.
:facepalm: I was hoping once I quit my computer sales job and moved to university I'd finally get away from people with no clue.
Old 07-20-2009 at 11:50 PM   #18
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Are you planning on stealing Greg's neurons? Lol

That is perfect though. IF you can follow all that, you should do very well. Basically just study, eat, sleep, get help and find a stress reliever. A great one is working out.
I handle stress badly ...I actually deal with stress like a guy (picked it up from my male friends). I used to sleep a lot. That can't apply now. Nor can eating or 15 hours of Frasier before exams.

I will try working out and try to learn meditation. A lot of people recommended that to me.

I just envisioned myself exercising and you're right, it seems like the most suitable one. Very hard to get hooked on running in comparison to your iPod.

Ssh...if you say his name too loudly he'll catch onto us.
I'll split half with you in exchange for science textbooks** (for which I'd pay )

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Last edited by goodnews.inc : 07-20-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-21-2009 at 01:23 AM   #19
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Haha I must say.. I love Greg's post.. >.<.. and the whole plan being concocted against him XD

Great thread by the way mcinside !
Old 07-21-2009 at 01:35 AM   #20
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Haha I must say.. I love Greg's post.. >.<.. and the whole plan being concocted against him XD

Great thread by the way mcinside !
I didn't expect such a reaction my post haha; I'm happy many people agree with me.

And no one better steal my neurons! :p

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 07-21-2009 at 01:41 AM   #21
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

The biggest shock I experienced was the poor writing abilities of most of the students. And not just in science either, I did English and Philosophy as electives and could not believe how many humanities students lacked very basic essay skills. But that was more of a gradual thing than a shock.

I think the biggest actual shock to me was how cheap food is. I had never really done any grocery shopping before I started living on my own. I pictured everything being a lot more expensive than it was. It really makes you realize that all restaurants are huge rip-offs. And especially meal plans.
Old 07-21-2009 at 02:18 AM   #22
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

How loud students around your room engaging in sexual activities can be...
Be prepared to go to the library a lot if that's the case haha

adrian likes this.
Old 07-21-2009 at 09:03 AM   #23
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

My favourite part (apart from the above statment haha) is that I love watching people who get 2-4hrs of sleep a few days before a midterm (seeing as they crammed the night before instead of a proper study pattern of EARLY and STEADY) stumble to class everyday, ahaha the best thing ever!

u.yousaf, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 07-21-2009 at 09:22 AM   #24
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino View Post
Hahahahaha! Awkwaarrrdddd ....

I think what surprised me most about university was the seemingly endless methods of procrastination available. Anything from cleaning to facebook to napping, can pretty much suck out a good chunk of your day.

Word of advice: if you're anything like me, deactivate facebook, or get someone to change your password during exams!
Old 07-21-2009 at 09:49 AM   #25
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by moops View Post
The fact that nobody really cares how you do in class. Theres nobody pushing you to do well really. It's all up to you. Nobody cares if you do your homework, its your responsibility.
I would disagree to a point. There are many people here who want you to help you do well. It's just that you need to have the motivation to start it all off. No one will call you up if you slept through class but if you have the motivation to actually do well and seek help, people will be there to help you.

I was most shocked at how awesome all my professors were. Even though I was in rather large classes in first year, my profs got to know me and remembered me (probably cause of the ginger hair). Also, don't be afraid to go speak to them during their office hours!!!! They're extremely helpful. Same with your TAs.

I also found a lot of help from upper years in the student lounges. Physics has it's lounge where upper years would practically live. If you went up there, people would be more than willing to help you do well.

Scrub, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 07-21-2009 at 09:56 AM   #26
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Where to start? University begins with you sitting inside one of those massive lecture halls. Oh my! So many people! All strangers! You fear the possibility of not finding a seat! :(
Soon, you realize that you should probably start reading and also notice the rate at which your first assignments approach their deadlines. The professors speak of midterms approaching around the corner. You have no idea.
During the next few weeks, the attendance during lectures steadily declines, and soon, you realize it was silly to think that you might not find a seat, that is, if you're still attending at this point in time.

Midterms, labs, assignments, etc, etc. Christmas time arrives before you know it.

Second semester is also full of surprises but school ends so soon! You grow one year older.

Vic.And likes this.
Old 07-21-2009 at 10:35 AM   #27
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
The amount of people in first year engineering who had no idea how to use a computer.

So true.

Many times I try to mentally use my awesome powers to de_stroy the university computer which takes approximately 6 mins to power up and log on.

Old 07-21-2009 at 10:56 AM   #28
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

My first biology test mark. Oh god.
Old 07-21-2009 at 11:11 AM   #29
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino View Post
lol, that reminds me of one of the many times I got locked out of my house and slept in the student center. One time I was on the third floor and I heard obvious and pretty loud sounds coming from one of those board rooms with the lights off. Needless to say, I was like 0____________o and ran away.

Think of that before you think of renting one of those rooms to study, lol.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 07-21-2009 at 11:20 AM   #30
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

Oh if you live on rez, be ready for 3am fire alarms.....pranks or not its never fun standing outside in your boxers and a towel in the cold..haha..memories. ..not all residences will go through this but be prepared!