MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

First Year Surprises

Old 07-21-2009 at 10:48 PM   #106
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Heh, well I don't have spidey sense, but one of my friends has done it on the top floor of mills. Twice. With three different girls.
Good God! lol what exactly is his secret? (Not that I'm personally interested, just for curosity) A Pickup line? A secret pheromone concotion invented by you on a sunday afternoon?

I wonder what happens when Old Man Mills or some other Librarian comes across him, but then again I have never seen a book I wanted located on the 6th floor so I wonder if people even visit and take books from there!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 07-21-2009 at 11:09 PM   #107
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I've seen a bunny or hare outside near Whidden. That was pretty cool.

Yeah, there are A LOT of frogs at McMaster. After is rains at night they all come out. Some are small, but some are pretty big.
Howard!

And it's a rabbit, for the record. Hopefully a male one.

Also, if you guys see frogs/toads on campus you should report them to Frogwatch Ontario: http://www.naturewatch.ca/english/frogwatch/on/ It's a conservation program that uses data supplied by people to help determine populations and the like.

There is also this article on the animal population at Mac. I was surprised I could get as close to the deer as I did my first night at Mac.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 07-21-2009 at 11:13 PM.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 07-22-2009 at 12:22 AM   #108
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Heh, well I don't have spidey sense, but one of my friends has done it on the top floor of mills. Twice. With three different girls.
Wait, what? So he had a threesome on one occassion?
Old 07-22-2009 at 12:26 AM   #109
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino View Post
Wait, what? So he had a threesome on one occassion?
Awesome but it sounds really awkward when you think about it between stacks of books.

Old 07-22-2009 at 12:53 AM   #110
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

There was a lot that I was suprised about during first year. In my experience, I was surprised that the workload was actually manageable, as long as I kept up with readings, studying, deadlines, etc. At the same time, it was hard to get used to days with 12 hours of class, and some four hour long classes. Also, how much time I would have to schedule in during the week to study and work on assignments.

I was also surprised at how little some students cared about their education. Generally a lot of people I met didn't take their studies seriously, which I didn't expect since it's so expensive. I don't understand why students would come to lecture to sit there and play video games.

eta: I was also shocked at the number of animals on campus! The racoons terrify me though...

Last edited by EmilySusie : 07-22-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-22-2009 at 12:58 AM   #111
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilySusie View Post
I was also suprised at how little some students cared about their education. Generally a lot of people I met didn't take their studies seriously, which I didn't expect since it's so expensive. I don't understand why students would come to lecture to sit there and play video games.
Not all students pay for their own tuition. There are plenty where they rely on their parents to pay for them and they just don't care.

That will always be a mystery. I have no idea why people bother to attend class when they end up playing video games or sleeping. Well, mostly video games/socializing on facebook/etc... Sleeping can be explained by being too tired. I myself can be accused of nodding off a couple times during certain classes.
Old 07-22-2009 at 01:58 AM   #112
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
That will always be a mystery. I have no idea why people bother to attend class when they end up playing video games or sleeping
That's all I did in my computer programming lectures. I didn't bother listening, since it was a beginners class and I had already taken a lot of programming classes in high school.

There are too many damn backseat StarCrafters in engineering.. lol. I seemed to always have at least one person sitting behind me commenting on how I was doin it wrong in that class.

I also didn't go to many math classes, since I figured I'd probably learn more reading myself than by having an eastern European guy reiterate the textbook word for word to me. Seemed to work...

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 07-22-2009 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-22-2009 at 02:00 AM   #113
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
There are too many damn backseat StarCrafters in engineering.. lol. I seemed to always have at least one person sitting behind me commenting on how I was doin it wrong.
I once got yelled at by my prof for playing Pac-man in class in 1st year.

How did she find out? Because 5 people around me were all staring intently watching me Om-Nom-Nom my way to the next level.

kanishka, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 07-22-2009 at 02:03 AM   #114
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
I once got yelled at by my prof for playing Pac-man in class in 1st year.

How did she find out? Because 5 people around me were all staring intently watching me Om-Nom-Nom my way to the next level.
You mean "Waka waka waka" right?

feonateresa likes this.
Old 07-22-2009 at 02:04 AM   #115
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
You mean "Waka waka waka" right?
ROFL. I had to say that aloud just to make sure it was the exact sound
Old 07-22-2009 at 02:31 AM   #116
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Three different girls....
Kudos to that hard working gentleman.

..No pun intended. Don't even go there.

Is the 6th floor the highest one there is?
If so I think I'll venture to the 7th.
I like.....being on the highest floor in a library but hell, I'm sure a lot of other people like being on top in Mills too..

Yes. Pun intended there.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-22-2009 at 02:32 AM   #117
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Three different girls....
Kudos to that hard working gentleman.

..No pun intended. Don't even go there.

Is the 6th floor the highest one there is?
If so I think I'll venture to the 7th.
I like.....being on the highest floor in a library but hell, I'm sure a lot of other people like being on top in Mills too..

Yes. Pun intended there.
Oh man, this thread is killing me hahaha.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 07-22-2009 at 02:55 AM   #118
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

I've just decided and would like to formally announce I plan to stay on the 6th floor a great deal, because, just once before I graduate I'd love to inform a horny pair...or group of 3 that the reproduction section was elsewhere and produce a map to help them find their way...and I hope that's not on the same floor cause that would just ruin everything.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-22-2009 at 03:10 AM   #119
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Hey; what happens if they get busted by library staff?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-22-2009 at 03:16 AM   #120
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Hey; what happens if they get busted by library staff?
They pull up their pants and run I would imagine.