MacInsiders Logo

Fraternities and Sororities

Old 12-08-2008 at 01:20 PM   #31
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Either way, I'm happy that all of what is available is available and you can get involved in whatever fits your fancy = yay!

I <3 the scicos too :p

Last edited by temara.brown : 12-08-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-08-2008 at 01:24 PM   #32
wadea

Liked: 7 Times

TBrown why do you rock my scico socks.
Old 12-08-2008 at 01:25 PM   #33
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

you've got scico socks?!? I want some!!!
Old 12-08-2008 at 02:17 PM   #34
bauhaual

Liked: 0 Times

Wow! I think I just got a huge headache from reading that whole argument! :S
Old 12-08-2008 at 04:01 PM   #35
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

Liked: 24 Times

The real deal with fraternities
For those of you involved or reading this thread, kudos on reaching this far.

I wanted to pipe up as another voice from the fraternity system, on behalf of Alpha Epsilon Pi -- which let me clarify, is officially the Hamilton Ontario chapter of the fraternity, not the McMaster chapter. Although all our brothers (29 + 14 alumni) are or were students at Mac, we are not a officially on campus because of school rules. Which really is fine by us, for now.

I think whoever started using the word "better" in this thread was the first to step out of line.
There are many great things to get involved in, and fraternities and clubs agree that bottom line - school still comes first.

I'm sure there are a lot of benefits and traditions to being a red suit, or a scico,

I can only speak on the benefits of being in AEPi; on a local scale we've done some pretty huge philanthropy events like Relay for Life, raising money for a number of causes and volunteering at an old folks home, so far... with much more planned for the future.

We encourage our brothers to be the best they can be. School is very important. Getting to know professors and getting involved with their work or in clubs is also crucial to university and to this brotherhood.

Coming together in a common goal of self-improvement, leadership opportunities, fundraising, networking, working on an executive board all provide amazing transferable skills and references. Hazing, binge drinking, and snobbish elitism are things of the past in the greek system and now just stereotypes we try and get rid of.

Internationally we are connected to 8000 undergrads and 85000 alumni across North America. We attend events which include international events (leadership conclaves, conventions which lead to amazing road trips all over North America). We've also been able to get really close to the boys at Guelph, Waterloo, Queens, and McGill... which is great cause most of us live in Toronto, so over the breaks and summers we have everyone around.

I'll finish rambling with something one of our alumni told me once: "Boys, you get the grades, and I'll get you a job at Sick Kids or Mount Sinai Hospital"

There's a lot to gain from belonging to a group who's aim is to provide the resources and dedication to force each of it's members to grow into respectable, accountable, well networked leaders.

That's what being part of a brotherhood is about, for us. But as long as you find something to get involved in and step up as a leader in all that you do, well then you already have it covered.
but we could use some awesome jumpsuits...

Noam Berlin
Master (President) Elect
AEPi - Eta Omicron (Hamilton Ontario)

Last edited by rlevitin : 12-08-2008 at 04:11 PM.

bauhaual, dustman, wadea all say thanks to rlevitin for this post.
Old 12-08-2008 at 04:38 PM   #36
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Thanks for the post - I think that brings a whole nother side to it that wasnt being brought up, or that was being brought up in a much different way.

I'd just also like to point out that Redsuits also do a lot of philanthropy. You know that day where we write HOG everywhere? In 6 hours we raise 1-2 grand every year for a battered women's shelter. We pull a bus downtown on frosh week and raise several thousand for cystic fibrosis, and many other things throughout the year.

We've also got a large support system through eachother and alumni, and im sure many alumni would also offer jobs to former reds, too.

Seems pretty similar! Very nice that there are lots of different ways to get out there and get good connections.
Old 12-08-2008 at 04:42 PM   #37
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

this thread has been very informative. i feel alot more educated now.
Old 12-08-2008 at 05:40 PM   #38
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Question for Noam and Aaron, as frat members perhaps you can shed some light on this for me:

As a Classics major I find that there is nothing in common between actual Greek culture (whether ancient or modern) and the fraternity/sorority. So I'm wondering, where did the idea of "Greek Life" come from? Why use Greek letters?

Old 12-08-2008 at 06:20 PM   #39
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
Question for Noam and Aaron, as frat members perhaps you can shed some light on this for me:

As a Classics major I find that there is nothing in common between actual Greek culture (whether ancient or modern) and the fraternity/sorority. So I'm wondering, where did the idea of "Greek Life" come from? Why use Greek letters?
I've got three words for you, kokosas: TOGA!! TOGA!! TOGA!! (yes I know Greeks weren't the only ones to wear togas)

No but really, it's a good question.
Old 12-08-2008 at 06:35 PM   #40
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
I've got three words for you, kokosas: TOGA!! TOGA!! TOGA!! (yes I know Greeks weren't the only ones to wear togas)

Haha, I was afraid of that answer!

Old 12-08-2008 at 08:00 PM   #41
wadea

Liked: 7 Times

lol... no not it's the togas. Greek Life groups are based off Greek Philosophy, and most used Ancient Greek symbols. As for the name, it is the initials of a Greek motto (secret in most cases).

I hope this answer the question

Aaron
Old 12-08-2008 at 08:55 PM   #42
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadea View Post
lol... no not it's the togas. Greek Life groups are based off Greek Philosophy, and most used Ancient Greek symbols. As for the name, it is the initials of a Greek motto (secret in most cases).

I hope this answer the question

Aaron
Not really. I'm wracking my brain and I'm not coming up with any philosophies or philosophers that support or even resemble the fraternity/sorority. That being said, I don't specialize in Greek Philosophy. The only thing that I can think of is a really tame version of pederasty, minus the sexual conduct, where an older man mentors a younger man in the ways of life. That's not exactly philosophy though. Can you give me an ancient author?

Old 12-08-2008 at 09:27 PM   #43
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

According to Wikipedia:

The names of North American fraternities and sororities generally consist of two or three Greek letters, often the initials of a Greek motto. For this reason, fraternities and sororities are often referred to as "Greek," as seen in phrases such as Greek community, Greek system, and Greek life. Members of fraternities and sororities are called "Greeks". An individual fraternity or sorority is often called a Greek house or simply house (distinct from physical buildings known as fraternity and sorority houses, which are maintained by some but not all groups).
The use of Greek letters started with Phi Beta Kappa (then a social fraternity and today an honor society) at the College of William & Mary. Several groups, however, do not use Greek letters. Examples include Acacia, FarmHouse, and Triangle, as well as eating clubs and secret societies at some Ivy League colleges, such as Skull and Bones at Yale.

It seems its origins really are just the tendency of the first Sororities and Fraternities to hide their secret motto's under Greek-lettered initials.
Old 12-08-2008 at 10:09 PM   #44
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post

Greeks never wore togas, actually.

Old 12-08-2008 at 10:35 PM   #45
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

I really wish the redsuits would be a lot less offensive and direspectful to be honest. It goes way too far too often.

It would be great if we had a sorority, the Greek life sounds pretty fun I'm thinking we should get Wallingford to be Mac's unofficial sorority

Last edited by callender : 12-08-2008 at 10:41 PM.