MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Student Charge Accounts ashlaaayyyyy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-16-2012 08:30 PM
residence move out charge marido Residence & Housing 3 05-09-2012 06:06 PM
laundry charge ymich Residence & Housing 8 11-15-2011 02:59 PM
Student Charge Accounts *ashley Academics 3 08-23-2011 06:28 PM
HST charge on textbooks? anon491 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 09-11-2010 12:57 AM

FREE Bus charge

Old 07-28-2013 at 07:59 PM   #1
Marvelous

Liked: 0 Times

FREE Bus charge
I have heard that when you live off campus, you're allowed to be given a student card that allows you to pay less for bus trips. I'd like to know if it is true, cause I am looking into cheapening my expenses
Old 07-28-2013 at 08:09 PM   #2
Ponyo

Liked: 278 Times

Everyone gets a student card and sometime in September or before you are mailed a sticker for the study year, you place it on your student card. Whenever you get on the bus show it to the driver and you get a free ride

Last edited by Ponyo : 07-28-2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: s
Old 07-28-2013 at 09:14 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Your student fees covers HSR sept - end of april
Old 07-28-2013 at 09:46 PM   #4
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

To be specific, there is a charge of $126.15 in supplementary fees included in your tuition. This is what pays for your bus pass. Every McMaster student - whether or not they live in res - pays this fee and gets free busing. This pass is valid from September 1 to April 30. Just show them your student card and they will let you in.

You will receive a sticker in the mail along with a student card. (Or maybe you already have, I did a few days ago). If you're a full time student it should say something like 2013-2014/UTM-PA/HSR/Bookstore/Ath. and Rec. on it. You stick it on your student card and that's your pass.

Oh, and you keep the same student card throughout the 4 years. They just send you a new sticker every year to stick on top the old one.
Old 07-29-2013 at 08:45 AM   #5
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
To be specific, there is a charge of $126.15 in supplementary fees included in your tuition. This is what pays for your bus pass. Every McMaster student - whether or not they live in res - pays this fee and gets free busing. This pass is valid from September 1 to April 30. Just show them your student card and they will let you in.

You will receive a sticker in the mail along with a student card. (Or maybe you already have, I did a few days ago). If you're a full time student it should say something like 2013-2014/UTM-PA/HSR/Bookstore/Ath. and Rec. on it. You stick it on your student card and that's your pass.

Oh, and you keep the same student card throughout the 4 years. They just send you a new sticker every year to stick on top the old one.
Needless to say, there are different versions of the sticker. It has to say HSR as one of the codes. Part-time students, who are not SRA members, don't get that code, even though the rest of the student card looks pretty well the same.
Old 07-30-2013 at 04:18 PM   #6
fatimaa

Liked: 4 Times

What bus is this? Does this count for GO as well or is it just local bus system in hamilton only?
Old 07-30-2013 at 04:18 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatimaa View Post
What bus is this? Does this count for GO as well or is it just local bus system in hamilton only?
It's just HSR. Details are available on the MSU website.
Old 07-31-2013 at 11:14 AM   #8
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

That said, if you show your student card at Compass or the downtown GO Station they can change your PRESTO card designation to 'student' and you get a slightly discounted fare.
Old 07-31-2013 at 11:26 AM   #9
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighp View Post
That said, if you show your student card at Compass or the downtown GO Station they can change your PRESTO card designation to 'student' and you get a slightly discounted fare.
+1

I believe this is what the OP was referring too

If you use a presto card and have it changed to Student Status,

you get discount on most public transit systems, GO Busses, go trains, HSR, mississauga transit etc.
Old 07-31-2013 at 03:52 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

The title of the thread is "FREE bus charge"...but I guess none of it is free so yeah I'm not really sure what the OP was referring to.

If you're an MSU member then you get a sticker with HSR on it, and that (if stuck on your student card) is a bus pass that gives you unlimited access to HSR from Sept 1 - Apr 30 of that school year.

Whether you are an MSU member or not, you can show your student card with the current sticker at Compass or the GO station to get the student designation on your PRESTO card. This must be done once per year.
Old 08-01-2013 at 01:30 PM   #11
IonicBonds

Liked: 19 Times

*Aug 19th - Apr 30th this year, according to HSR fare page. Whoo!

shreebee says thanks to IonicBonds for this post.

starfish likes this.
Old 08-01-2013 at 01:36 PM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonicBonds View Post
*Aug 19th - Apr 30th this year, according to HSR fare page. Whoo!
Really?! Did it change? I couldn't find it anywhere on the Mcmaster or MSU website?

Nvm, found it- http://www.hamilton.ca/CityServices/...nd+Conditions/