MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HSR Buses Moo!io Automotive & Transportation 65 08-21-2010 11:00 PM
No buses to Sqaure One? (Good Friday) MacEng Automotive & Transportation 3 04-02-2010 03:37 PM
Hamilton to Kingston Buses faytless General Discussion 9 10-25-2009 11:19 AM
Go Buses and Halloween Haunt lawleypop General Discussion 8 10-22-2009 09:04 PM
HSR Accordian Buses HeatherH General Discussion 10 07-08-2009 12:18 PM

Free Buses

Old 08-18-2008 at 11:14 PM   #31
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

I agree with the girls if you're new to Hamilton. However, there are not many one-way roads, and soon you'll find yourself mastering the 1-way/2-way hybrid travel system here! It's much better than Toronto I find, even though it is confusing at first. There is much less traffic downtown than there would be if King and Main were 2-ways. It also makes for an easy to understand bus system, even though you have to go to a specific street to go one way. They're not far apart though. 1 minute walk between Main going east and King going west.
Old 08-19-2008 at 01:02 AM   #32
Leraison

Liked: 0 Times

Lol I think it just takes getting used to. I haven't been to Hamilton's one way streets, but there are TONS in Montreal. We were there for vacation and my parents did not learn it at all but my older sibling learnt the direction of ALL the roads as soon as we had been there once.
Old 08-19-2008 at 03:28 PM   #33
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Yeah, I don't get why people find the one-way streets all that confusing, either. There are two big ones that run the entire width of the city: King Street goes west, Main Street goes east. At the far eastern and western ends of the city, each also becomes two-way. Some of the major north-south streets were actually converted from one-way to two-way a couple of years ago (James St. and John St.), with mixed results - Hamiltonians tend to love their one-ways.

Aside from those, as you pass through downtown, the north-south streets kind of alternate between one-way directions. So if you can't turn a particular way down one street, you generally just go to the next one, and you can. So really, it's not a big deal (I'll also add that, outside of downtown, the one-ways are pretty much non-existent). I agree that Montreal is FAR worse, and don't get me started on downtown Toronto, where it seems that at every intersection you can't turn either right or left :p