Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
90%90%90%
Average 88%
French 1K06

I've only completed half of this course as it is a full year course but I figure that the second half will be roughly the same, if not more difficult.

It's not easy to say whether this course is easy or difficult, it really depends on your level of french. For me, I took french immersion for the majority of my years in school so it was easy for me. However, I could tell that if you work hard in this class, it's really easy to get a great grade.

This term, the class consisted of small quizzes ( I think we had about 4 or 5 this semester ), a 5% presentation, and a midterm exam worth 20%. Plus we had a short written assignment worth 5%.

We have three tutorials per week, and one lecture. We do lots of participation, oral and group exercises. We also have lots of homework exercises which we go over in tutorial. We covered the present tense and past tense, as well as many verbs, vocabulary and grammar. Next term, I think we're covering six more tenses so it does get a bit more difficult.

My TA is really fun so it makes the class more interesting, and you can tell that our professor likes the subject and makes sure that she teaches it well. However a downside to it is that she tends to do most of her lecture in French, even though she sides explain in English, it can be hard to follow if you're more of a beginner.

Anyway, if you like French or just want to broaden your horizons, you'll do well if you work hard and stay on top of your work. =)
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for French 1K06!

Old 05-26-2010 at 12:37 PM   #2
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times
Were tutorials mainly in English, or in French?

Old 05-27-2010 at 11:23 AM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Our TA would switch back and forth, but spoke in French when going through the homework. She would clarify or repeat things in English if needed.

Mahratta says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 05-28-2010 at 03:47 PM   #4
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Our TA would switch back and forth, but spoke in French when going through the homework. She would clarify or repeat things in English if needed.
Were you required to speak in French during tutorial, like in 1A06?

Old 05-28-2010 at 09:26 PM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

When you answered questions, in French obviously. When asking questions, no, but you can ask in French if you like. It may depend on the TA, but it's probably the same for all.

Mahratta says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 07-06-2010 at 10:44 PM   #6
belindz!

Liked: 17 Times
I am a huge beginner in French I've only got up to grade eleven but I love it so much and I want to speak it, do you think its a struggle for someone like me?
Old 07-07-2010 at 11:23 AM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

If you got upto grade eleven... (was it immersion, core or .. there's another one I can't remember) then you should be fine, especially if it was immersion. 1K06 is really slowed down compared to 1A06 so it'll be alright. If you were in core, it might be a struggle to understand concepts as fast as others but the TAs always want to help out and have homework clubs and such.

belindz! says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 07-26-2010 at 07:21 PM   #8
belindz!

Liked: 17 Times
It was core french a lot of language and grammar and whatnot merci again
Old 08-31-2011 at 06:52 AM   #9
kapurm

Liked: 0 Times
All the french courses sound like they involve a lot of homework. Anyone know approx how many hours of commitment it requires in a week?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search