Mini Fridges TheAxtmann Residence & Housing 62 09-01-2009 09:49 PM
Fridges spiotrowski Moulton Hall Forum 20 07-21-2008 03:52 PM

Fridges necessary?

Old 08-11-2011 at 05:07 PM   #1
ricechrispy

Liked: 9 Times

Fridges necessary?
Are they?

I was in Wal-mart the other day and saw a cheap one for 70$. And on the site, there's this nice 65$ red one! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-and-Decker-NuCool-1.7-Cubic-Foot-Refrigerator-Fearless-Red/13723696?findingMetho d=rr

!!!

But there's the new policy on how we can't bring our own :/

Unless you guys think they're really necessary, I'm not gonna pay 100$ for a borrowed one.
And I'm guessing the common room fridges on each floor aren't safe to put food in?

Worst case scenario...sneak one in
Old 08-11-2011 at 05:11 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

The common room fridges are probably a definite no. I read somewhere here on MI that this person's food got stolen on a daily basis because she kept it there.
Old 08-11-2011 at 05:11 PM   #3
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

It'd be pretty damn hard to sneak one in. On move-in day(s), there's enough people running around there's no way you'd get one upstairs (especially since the reps move your stuff in for you). Plus, I'm repping Matthews for WW, so I will see you, and I will KNOW. >:(

Later in the term (i.e. after WW), I'm sure you could sneak it in. Though I'm sure someone would probably see you, and Matthews doesn't have elevators IIRC, so it'd be a pain to get there. Even if nobody ratted you out for it (let's face it, most people wouldn't), if your room were to ever get checked (they also do mandatory sweeps over the holidays) you'd be screwed. Things like kettles you can hide out of plain sight, but a mini-fridge doesn't exactly work like that.

Yeah, the rule is pretty stupid, but it's a rule we gotta follow. By we, I mean you first years/people in rez. :p

The common room fridges are fine to put food in, health-wise. As for if it'll get stolen or not, that's up to you to judge. Last year in rez, there were some floors where stuff went missing all the time, and others when nothing ever went missing. It all depends on the community sharing that fridge. You kinda have to play it by ear and gauge for yourself how safe your food is.

Also, even though it's like $100, since you can only have 1 fridge/room, you're really splitting that cost with your roommate, so it is less (unless you're really generous or they're not using it).

Last edited by Zimonada : 08-11-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-11-2011 at 05:16 PM   #4
ricechrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada View Post
It'd be pretty damn hard to sneak one in. On move-in day(s), there's enough people running around there's no way you'd get one upstairs (especially since the reps move your stuff in for you). Plus, I'm repping Matthews for WW, so I will see you, and I will KNOW. >:(
Awww, there's no way you could like...hook me up? *nudge nudge*... You know, turn a blind eye type thing lol

I'm sure it would be easier to sneak one in in mid September? or even later during WW?
lol, these are just ideas, i probably won't do it, don't worry

EDIT: are there any penalties? do they just take it from you and give you a warning?

Last edited by ricechrispy : 08-11-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-11-2011 at 05:22 PM   #5
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

sorry to burst your bubble, but thats the states website lol. walmart canada ones start at $115 to $190.

edit: and they have no wear near what the states offers. i would know, i look every week to see if they go on sale

Last edited by MacAttk : 08-11-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2011 at 05:24 PM   #6
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Theoretically, WW is probably the hardest to do it, because people are going to be running around all the time, and even though we're there to lead the fun, we still gotta make sure you follow the rules. And if not, your CA's will be around too, and they'll definitely be enforcing the rules.

I don't know what the penalty would be tbh, since this is the first year they're using this rule. Maybe if you took a look in the rez handbook (I'm pretty sure they e-mail you a link to it, maybe not yet, it should be floating on the site somewhere though) it'd list it. You could just assume the consequences will be dire though (i.e. death of your firstborn child) and then everyone would be happy. :p

ricechrispy likes this.
Old 08-11-2011 at 05:25 PM   #7
ricechrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttk View Post
sorry to burst your bubble, but thats states website lol. walmart canada ones start at $115 to $190.
haha actually...i live in windsor, right across the States border
so i go shopping there all the time.

PLUS, i have a grandma who lives in the States right across the border, so if I ever need anything shipped to the States, she's there heh
Old 08-11-2011 at 05:27 PM   #8
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricechrispy View Post
haha actually...i live in windsor, right across the States border
so i go shopping there all the time.

PLUS, i have a grandma who lives in the States right across the border, so if I ever need anything shipped to the States, she's there heh
aha thats sick! i love back to school shopping in the states

ricechrispy likes this.
Old 08-11-2011 at 05:29 PM   #9
ricechrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada View Post
Theoretically, WW is probably the hardest to do it, because people are going to be running around all the time, and even though we're there to lead the fun, we still gotta make sure you follow the rules. And if not, your CA's will be around too, and they'll definitely be enforcing the rules.

I don't know what the penalty would be tbh, since this is the first year they're using this rule. Maybe if you took a look in the rez handbook (I'm pretty sure they e-mail you a link to it, maybe not yet, it should be floating on the site somewhere though) it'd list it. You could just assume the consequences will be dire though (i.e. death of your firstborn child) and then everyone would be happy. :p
haha ok...
guess sneaking one in isn't an option.
But IF it were (just to play around a bit more ), couldn't you just hide it in a box or even a garbage bag and fill the box/bag with textbooks or newspapers or something and then carry it up

or do they check everything? o_o

oh and i guess the original question wasn't really answered yet? is a fridge necessary?
Old 08-11-2011 at 05:29 PM   #10
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Soooooo glad this rule wasn't in place in my year. It's utter bull$#!+ and should've been fought to the death by the student societies in charge.

Edit: Oh yea, my reasoning.

a) It's a money grab for a residence organization that got completely screwed over this year.
b) They claim it's to save money/electricity, but I can guarantee they didn't buy the most efficient model because, let's go back to a)... It's a money grab. They got a bulk order of new, cheap fridges.

Last edited by mike_302 : 08-11-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-11-2011 at 05:31 PM   #11
ricechrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Soooooo glad this rule wasn't in place in my year. It's utter bull$#!+ and should've been fought to the death by the student societies in charge.
yah...we're unlucky this year :(
maybe it's cuz there's so many of us? trying to scare us off
Old 08-11-2011 at 05:32 PM   #12
mike_302
Elite Member

Nope. This was proposed last summer too, and it was fought off. There was so much anger because they decided to implement it in the middle of the summer when people had already been shopping.
Old 08-11-2011 at 05:35 PM   #13
ricechrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Nope. This was proposed last summer too, and it was fought off. There was so much anger because they decided to implement it in the middle of the summer when people had already been shopping.
Oh... well no chance of us fighting it off :(
Old 08-11-2011 at 05:48 PM   #14
mike_302
Elite Member

Nope. I will bitterly blame those in charge of keeping the Residences in line... There's a student group for that, which I have little faith in.

What the hell are engineers supposed to do now that we can't have our fridge carrying competitions!?!?!?!?! Bull$#!+ !!! I know people who could set NEW records, and people who want to defend theirs!
Old 08-11-2011 at 05:56 PM   #15
KitaGrace

Liked: 0 Times

Hey I would definately get one of the rented fridges, peoples food ot stolen in the common room fridges alllll the time.
also... people grew weird bags full of mold in my common room fridges...