MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need New Laptop any suggestions? merc67 Computers & Tech 10 07-28-2011 11:51 AM
Laptop Ideas/Suggestions MGombosa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 31 07-19-2011 05:45 PM
Free Tech Help/Laptop Suggestions/Etc blackdragon Computers & Tech 67 05-23-2011 06:29 PM
Its Fried Egg, Fried Egg Scuderia General Discussion 9 03-19-2011 01:40 PM
Scrambled or Fried? reeves General Discussion 27 09-05-2009 10:39 AM

Fried Laptop (Suggestions)?

Old 02-06-2013 at 02:31 PM   #1
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

Fried Laptop (Suggestions)?
Wondering if any MI's know of anyone or would be willing to take a look at my macbook pro to see if it can be salvaged. I spilled coffee on it a few months ago, after drying it for a while it worked for about a week. It powers up but wont go past the loading screen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Liquid damage is not covered under warranty so that was one expensive coffee. :(

Old 02-06-2013 at 04:10 PM   #2
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Oh, I know a person who spilled milk on his Mac.
He had to take it to the Mac store, and it cost him about $200.
...I know that's tough, maybe if you have a tech savvy friend???
Old 02-06-2013 at 05:54 PM   #3
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

sounds like the hard drive is dead

thats just my 2 cents

Try buying a new one
if u do, this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1f7wotR_CQ might help
Old 02-06-2013 at 06:02 PM   #4
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
sounds like the hard drive is dead

thats just my 2 cents

Try buying a new one
if u do, this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1f7wotR_CQ might help

It could be the hard drive or a connection on the motherboard. First check to see if its broken before buying a new one. This can easily be done with a LIVE linux dvd.
-Get a blank dvd
-go to a linux distribution such as Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/download)
-burn linux
-pop disk into computer and choose Live use not install

If you can use linux Live cd no problem then it is most likely your hard drive. If it doesnt work then It is not (only) the hard drive
Old 02-06-2013 at 06:07 PM   #5
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Personally, i think its the HDD. Coz if the system is able to start up and load up until it requires the OS, which im (~ sure) resides in the HDD. It means the Hdd is gone
Old 02-06-2013 at 06:39 PM   #6
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
Personally, i think its the HDD. Coz if the system is able to start up and load up until it requires the OS, which im (~ sure) resides in the HDD. It means the Hdd is gone
That is what I was thinking but realized that they spilled water on it... I thought the HD were pretty water proof, unless the connection to it is broken
Old 02-06-2013 at 07:08 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

id say u shorted something on the motherboard. There are some ppl who are offering pc fixing services in the "services for hire" section of MI
Old 02-06-2013 at 07:33 PM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
id say u shorted something on the motherboard. There are some ppl who are offering pc fixing services in the "services for hire" section of MI
I think it's more likely something happened with his hard drive coincidentally after he spilled coffee on it. Computers don't typically work for a while after liquid damage, and then short out.

Best option is to unscrew the bottom and make sure the HDD is connected properly. If so, listen to it closely while the computer starts. If it is 'clicking' at a constant rate like a metronome, then the hard-drive is damaged and needs to be replaced.

I'd recommend an SSD if that's the case, just because of durability and because your computer will be approximately 9000 times faster than it ever was with it.

You could also try resetting the PRAM. Your system's BIOS may have gotten messed up (Macs do this randomly at times for some reason...) which is preventing it from starting up.

Just search how to do it on google; usually you just hold some random key combination at startup.
Old 02-06-2013 at 09:47 PM   #9
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
You could also try resetting the PRAM. Your system's BIOS may have gotten messed up (Macs do this randomly at times for some reason...) which is preventing it from starting up.
I didn't even think of this but the bios being changed is what gave me a hard time when setting up my desktop. Get someone who knows what they are looking for to take a quick glance through the bios (if the other solutions don't work) just in case something small was changed
Old 02-07-2013 at 01:34 AM   #10
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
That is what I was thinking but realized that they spilled water on it... I thought the HD were pretty water proof, unless the connection to it is broken
Hard drives have a breather hole, so liquids can get inside, and at the same time it could be a bios problem. Id try the ubuntu boot disk, and then try accessing the HDD. Also look around on iFixit for disassemblies, because id assume there is some residue inside your computer, use rubbing alcohol to remove it, and dry thoroughly before booting again.