MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Tech Free for Change cva1 Computers & Tech 25 10-14-2010 12:20 AM
B.Tech to a P.Eng? Lolisuck First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 05-24-2010 07:41 PM
B.Tech :D insertname First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 06-30-2009 11:37 PM

Free Tech Help/Laptop Suggestions/Etc

Old 05-20-2011 at 08:04 PM   #1
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Free Tech Help/Laptop Suggestions/Etc
K, so I'm gonna test drive a project I'm currently working on.

I'm gonna offer free assistance (on weekends) to mac students for now. I have a solid understand on desktops/laptops/technology and know which ones to stay away from, which ones meet your budget, which ones meet your needs/demands (no, you do not need a core i7 to run programs like photoshop). Just post what you need (be it any electronic) and what your budget is and I will look :p

Also, ill offer help to people who have issues with viruses and such. If you do choose to accept my help, I will not be held responsible should windows malfunction and shred all your data.

Requirements:
-online help only
-must be using a PC (no macs at this time).
Old 05-20-2011 at 08:40 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

What sort of project are we talking about?
Any tech savvy could do the aforementioned no offense. :o
Old 05-20-2011 at 09:04 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Anyone tech savvy can, but how many do?

This is obviously aimed to people who need help, not people who already know what their doing :p Instead of spending $100 at futureshop or bestbuy, save money and do it yourself
Old 05-20-2011 at 10:11 PM   #4
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

This should be a good thread, I hope it doesn't die. Like you said spending money at Best Buy or Future shop on a computer is the smartest thing to do.

Just wondering.. What's your take on SSDs right now? I want to get one for my laptop, but I have no idea when.
Old 05-20-2011 at 11:32 PM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
This should be a good thread, I hope it doesn't die. Like you said spending money at Best Buy or Future shop on a computer is the smartest thing to do.

Just wondering.. What's your take on SSDs right now? I want to get one for my laptop, but I have no idea when.
I was reading this article recently that said next year (2012) prices for SSD's are expected to go mainstream. So if you can wait, I'd suggest waiting till then, if not, let me know what type your looking for and ill search for one in that price range.

My personal opinion though is just wait. SSD's are quicker, but you only really notice the "big" differences when loading and shutting down your PC (there are other differences for gaming and such as well), so they are not an upgrade that is absolutely necessary.
Old 05-21-2011 at 01:02 AM   #6
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

People should l2google.

Coo' thread bruh.

^__^ says thanks to Desda for this post.

Afzal, DannyV, L'Étoile, ^__^ like this.
Old 05-21-2011 at 01:19 AM   #7
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

I can provide help with just about everything mac. PM me/post in this thread
Old 05-21-2011 at 10:27 AM   #8
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
People should l2google.

Coo' thread bruh.

Yup :p Too bad no matter how much you say that, people don't get it. But thats alright, I guess it creates more jobs for fs/bb/staples, lol.

Desda likes this.
Old 05-21-2011 at 10:06 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Considering getting a new laptop that I can use just at home. I want it to be really fast processor-wise, have insane video rendering (games and movies), and of course, lots of memory capabilities. I don't really know much about buying computers, and I know my money constraint is pretty extreme... but I was wondering if it was possible.

(I wouldn't be using this computer to bring to classes or anything; I just don't like desktop computers any more)
Old 05-21-2011 at 10:09 PM   #10
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Considering getting a new laptop that I can use just at home. I want it to be really fast processor-wise, have insane video rendering (games and movies), and of course, lots of memory capabilities. I don't really know much about buying computers, and I know my money constraint is pretty extreme... but I was wondering if it was possible.

(I wouldn't be using this computer to bring to classes or anything; I just don't like desktop computers any more)
Price range?
Old 05-21-2011 at 10:12 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
Price range?
Sorry, I thought I wrote that. I was thinking 500-800$.

I really want something to last about 2 years.. my current computer just isn't up to snuff, and I think that is due in part to only paying 600$..
Old 05-21-2011 at 10:12 PM   #12
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post

You obviously want to get a laptop that has an Intel processor i5 or (if you have the budget) get an one with an i7. Intel is the way to go for performance. Now for video cards, cant help but blackdragon can.
Old 05-21-2011 at 10:19 PM   #13
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...&Sku=A50-15658
Old 05-21-2011 at 10:21 PM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
That literally looks like the exact same laptop I'm using right now! Haha, except for the specs, of course.
Old 05-21-2011 at 10:33 PM   #15
RankNullity

Liked: 27 Times

I'm also looking for a laptop that is decent for gaming for relatively under $1000. Any suggestions?