MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Group Work For.... RachBros Academics 7 08-25-2010 11:31 PM
Mac Id/mugsi Does Not Work aya. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-15-2010 06:48 PM
How does Undercovers work?? Maudjee22 General Discussion 10 01-05-2010 01:35 PM
Holiday Work Iamanonymous General Discussion 27 11-19-2009 05:29 PM

Friggen electives, how do they work?

Old 06-21-2010 at 08:00 AM   #1
Jeger

Liked: 2 Times

Friggen electives, how do they work?
So I am going to be a first year Social Science student at McMaster this fall and I'm trying to figure out what I should fill my elective credits with. My goal is to get a major in Sociology or the likes, and I'm planning on getting a minor in Computer Science. For required coursework I have Sociol 1A06 and Psych 1X03 + 1XX3. Elective wise I'm planning for Math 1X03, and Comp Sci 1MD3 +1FC3. That leaves me with at least 9 more elective credits. Anyone have suggestions or protips?

Side note: I'm still waiting on the scores, but I took AP Calculus AB and AP Psych this year. If I do well enough in those, can I get credit for Math 1X03/ Psych 1X03 ?
Old 06-21-2010 at 08:57 AM   #2
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

I took AP exams as well and unless you get a 5 i think theyre useless. I think my friend got offered 3 general credits for one of her AP exams.. but they didnt count as Math 1X03 credits. Not sure though.
Also I dont know if this year theyre integrating Math 1A03 and 1X03 again, but if not then 1X03 is for math and stats kids, and 1A03 is for everyone else (pretty much the same content though)
And you should look into that minor in Comp Sci, because if some upper year Comp Sci courses have math pre-reqs, you might end up needing Math 1AA3 as well... or something like that.
I took CompSci 1MD3 with Franek, I got a good mark because he belled EVERYTHING. But hes a frustrating teacher because hes not always teaching you the stuff that your assignments are on, his tests were kinda brutal. If you already have a programming background though youll ace it. (It didnt feel like an INTRO course to me)

As for other electives I liked Astron 1F03 and Enviro Sci 1A03
Old 06-24-2010 at 01:30 AM   #3
LindsayD

Liked: 1 Time

The math course you would be registering for would be 1A03, although the 1X03 and 1A03 classes were combined if they keep the program like last year's. They teach the same material, the different course codes are just to distinguish between students in the math and stats program and everyone else. That said, if you're interested in math you could try the follow-up, 1AA3, or linear algebra, 1B03. I took both 1A03 and 1AA3 and I loved both courses.

However, math is not required for your minor in comp sci. You can find the requirements for a minor in comp sci listed here: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1201.html

All of my classes last year were in the Faculty of Science, so I'm not sure I can help you with electives. I've heard Latin was really good, but it's always full so I'm not sure you can get in. If you're interested in anatomy, KIN 1Y03/1YY3 are both excellent courses. Otherwise, I'm not too sure.

Good luck with your course selections.

Jeger says thanks to LindsayD for this post.
Old 06-24-2010 at 09:26 PM   #4
kristopherk

Liked: 16 Times

Thumbs up for mocking Insane Clown Posse, Jeger.

Jeger says thanks to kristopherk for this post.

Jeger likes this.
Old 06-25-2010 at 11:15 AM   #5
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

don't talk to no academic adviser, they just lyin' and gettin' you pissed

Old 06-25-2010 at 11:16 AM   #6
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post