test poll kevinf Gaming 0 12-19-2009 10:52 AM

G- Test

Old 04-15-2010 at 05:52 PM   #16
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Tip: speeds are always posted. Schools zones are always 40. 400 series are generally 100, though sometimes dip down to 90 in certain spots. Regional highways are generally 80 but dip down to 60 when you enter towns.
Speeds are not always posted. School zones aren't always 40, and there isn't a one-number-fits all combination. There are plenty of them on four-lane routes that are 50 or 60 (schools on Main Street?), and some places that are maximum 30. If you wind up going 40 on them that opens you up to get docked points for going too fast or slow - go by whatever is posted. IF there is nothing posted, in urban areas and towns, it's 50 and not 60. In rural areas, 80.

As for the lane choice on the highway - they may not ask you to go to the left lane, but other than the it is the DRIVER's discretion as to whether or not they want to use it beyond the initial lane-change requests. If it is necessary for you to pass a slower vehicle during any portion of your test, the left lane will be needed and the examiner won't tell you to do that.

My car dings at me extremely annoyingly if I leave the parking brake on while the car is in motion
Old 04-15-2010 at 06:18 PM   #17
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

I don't know where you are doing your test, but if in Hamilton, they will either take you on the QEW, you would get on at Centennial and go to Fruitland and back. Or, they might take you on the Red Hill, you get on at Barton and get off at King St., then you go into a residential area and do parking or whatever they ask and then you come back. Speed on Red Hill is 90km/hr and QEW is 100, but my instructor( Im doing a couple driving lessons before the test) said 105 is fine. Can you post how it goes for you? I have mine coming up too:(
Old 04-15-2010 at 08:21 PM   #18
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

interesting little article about G-tests in the star:

http://www.thestar.com/news/investig...less-travelled

people are actually paying $200 to go to Bancroft, ON (quiet place, quiet roads) near Algonquin park to have higher odds of passing their G-tests.
Old 04-15-2010 at 08:40 PM   #19
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

People are pathetic.

If you can't drive through bigger towns, then you can't drive period. And you don't deserve a license.

If the only way you can pass is doing a test in Bancroft, that obviously says something.

Leave it to the ministry of transportation to be retarded.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

temptingf8 likes this.
Old 04-15-2010 at 09:16 PM   #20
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
Speed on Red Hill is 90km/hr and QEW is 100, but my instructor( Im doing a couple driving lessons before the test) said 105 is fine.
You can go slightly over the speed limit if it's necessary to merge safely, but then you have to drop back down (again, in a safe manner) to the speed limit if i remember correctly
Old 04-15-2010 at 09:37 PM   #21
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
Speeds are not always posted. School zones aren't always 40, and there isn't a one-number-fits all combination. There are plenty of them on four-lane routes that are 50 or 60 (schools on Main Street?), and some places that are maximum 30. If you wind up going 40 on them that opens you up to get docked points for going too fast or slow - go by whatever is posted. IF there is nothing posted, in urban areas and towns, it's 50 and not 60. In rural areas, 80.
I'm confused...you're saying that if a school zone has a different speed than it doesn't have to be posted?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-15-2010 at 10:30 PM   #22
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Sometimes schools don't have different speed zones - there's one in my home town where the limit doesn't change (stays at 60 km/h), one where it drops from 60 to 50, a couple where the whole street is 50 (so there's no limit posted)...come to think of it, i'm not sure that there is a 40 km/h school zone in the entire town
Old 04-15-2010 at 10:41 PM   #23
temptingf8
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I'm confused...you're saying that if a school zone has a different speed than it doesn't have to be posted?
Basically, you follow whatever speed limit is posted regardless. You just have to be mindful if the posted speed limit DROPS once you hit the school zone.

On occasion you will have 50 zones with "MAXIMUM 40 WHEN FLASHING" lights and signs - then yes, you would go 40 IF the lights were flashing. Otherwise, posted speed limit, and if there are no signs, then 50.

When you enter Hamilton via surface streets, there is signage stating "MAXIMUM 50 UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED". That's your cue to go 50 if you don't see any signs.

lorend says thanks to temptingf8 for this post.
Old 04-15-2010 at 11:51 PM   #24
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
People are pathetic.

If you can't drive through bigger towns, then you can't drive period. And you don't deserve a license.

If the only way you can pass is doing a test in Bancroft, that obviously says something.

Leave it to the ministry of transportation to be retarded.
How about if you can only pass a road test in Bancroft, you must move out into the country. Maybe that will mitigate some of the congestion on the roads in the GTA (and decrease the % of stupid drivers).
Old 04-16-2010 at 10:39 AM   #25
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

My G-test is in a couple of hours. If what everyone is saying is true, then it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this and other drive test related threads!
Old 04-16-2010 at 10:43 AM   #26
temptingf8
Elite Member

Best of luck!

On a lighter note, I remember the examiner kind of made fun of my car falling apart on my G test. It was a rusty old 1991 Honda Civic hatchback and while mechanically sound, cosmetically it was totally justified