MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My $500 Gaming PC Build Tailsnake Computers & Tech 14 05-29-2011 08:14 PM
Charle's awesome i7 gaming computer [Pictures!] kevinf Gaming 6 02-03-2011 10:42 AM
GAMING MAYHEM!!! FREE PLAY 'Til May [email protected] GAMING CENTRE Pownz Gaming 4 05-08-2010 05:22 PM
Computer Gaming - Mac Lan Club kevinf General Discussion 11 03-01-2008 03:43 PM

Gaming Laptop?

Old 10-20-2011 at 07:29 PM   #1
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

Gaming Laptop?
What's a good gaming laptop?

Obviously I am not going to go with HP, but I don't really want to get Alienware, either. What would you recommend?

I am probably thinking Toshiba or Dell, maybe Sony, but I am not sure. Need some outside input on this.

EDIT: Also, no Macs. I hate Macs. > >; Windows only.
Old 10-20-2011 at 07:41 PM   #2
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

Btw, don't do what I did - Make sure you get one with a duo core and NOT a quad core if you're gonna use it for gaming.

Preferably look into brands like Lenovo, msi, ASUS, etc. if you're looking for a gaming laptop. Not sure if brands like Sony, Toshiba and Dell make the best gaming laptops (I could be wrong). Alienware is way overpriced, but worth it if you have the money, imo

See if you find anything you like on Newegg or TigerDirect. They usually have decent deals

Anyways, probably the most important question: What's your budget?
Old 10-20-2011 at 07:45 PM   #3
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepper View Post
Btw, don't do what I did - Make sure you get one with a duo core and NOT a quad core if you're gonna use it for gaming.

Preferably look into brands like Lenovo, msi, ASUS, etc. if you're looking for a gaming laptop. Not sure if brands like Sony, Toshiba and Dell make the best gaming laptops (I could be wrong). Alienware is way overpriced, but worth it if you have the money, imo

See if you find anything you like on Newegg or TigerDirect. They usually have decent deals

Anyways, probably the most important question: What's your budget?
My budget is probably 2000 or so, though I don't mind going a little over it it's worth it?

Also, isn't Quadcore supposed to be better than Duo?
Old 10-20-2011 at 08:04 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Gaming desktop > gaming laptop

xxsumz says thanks to RyanC for this post.

Entropy, Grover, Snowman like this.
Old 10-20-2011 at 08:10 PM   #5
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

My mate has an Asus M series, $699, plays most games. Another friend has a new-gen Asus G51. Plays everything at almost max. $1000.
Some engie I know has the Stealth. It plays anything on any setting. $1700

I own a first gen Asus G51 (non-bestbuy model) and it plays everything... With the exception of FSX on max.

M series is the best for portability. I forget the number. Maybe its not even M. But its lighter than an alienware M11x (btw, a huge waste of money).
Old 10-20-2011 at 08:19 PM   #6
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
My mate has an Asus M series, $699, plays most games. Another friend has a new-gen Asus G51. Plays everything at almost max. $1000.
Some engie I know has the Stealth. It plays anything on any setting. $1700

I own a first gen Asus G51 (non-bestbuy model) and it plays everything... With the exception of FSX on max.

M series is the best for portability. I forget the number. Maybe its not even M. But its lighter than an alienware M11x (btw, a huge waste of money).

Oh. I have heard of Asus here and there, but never knew they made gaming laptop. I'll look into it; thanks!
Old 10-20-2011 at 08:32 PM   #7
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

From personal experience may I recommend that you seriously look into a laptop cooling quality. Its harder to find information, youll have to see peoples reviews, but overheating will hurt performance badly, ive seen it happen in MSI and HP laptops. My Asus has never had the issue but it has many other issues lol. Example being the chassis is shaking itself apart, build quality isnt perfectly solid. But its a hit or miss with Asus cause their netbooks are very sturdy.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 10-20-2011 at 08:35 PM   #8
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolean View Post
From personal experience may I recommend that you seriously look into a laptop cooling quality. Its harder to find information, youll have to see peoples reviews, but overheating will hurt performance badly, ive seen it happen in MSI and HP laptops. My Asus has never had the issue but it has many other issues lol. Example being the chassis is shaking itself apart, build quality isnt perfectly solid. But its a hit or miss with Asus cause their netbooks are very sturdy.
My laptop has a cooling pad; it never overheats, but it has 256MB of VRAM. Yes. It's a piece of shit laptop. *coughTOSHIBAcough*

But I am considering Asus...except that when I went to their website, they have so many models I have no idea where to begin - Gaming Powerhouse or Versatile performance (and each has 2390353 models).
Old 10-20-2011 at 08:44 PM   #9
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Gaming Laptops are generally a bad idea and should be avoided as long as there's an alternative.

Andrew A likes this.
Old 10-20-2011 at 09:33 PM   #10
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

gaming laptops are bad in the sense their battery life is shit and creates large amounts of heat. may as well buy a desktop. but if u must like me who wanted a decent laptop and doesnt have enuf money for a desktop go for asus/msi only
Old 10-20-2011 at 09:38 PM   #11
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
gaming laptops are bad in the sense their battery life is shit and creates large amounts of heat. may as well buy a desktop. but if u must like me who wanted a decent laptop and doesnt have enuf money for a desktop go for asus/msi only
Which model would you recommend?
Old 10-20-2011 at 09:52 PM   #12
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I used to have a post that explained in detail how to get a very good gaming desktop and a cheap laptop for under $1500 combined but couldnt find it.

Basically if you custom make a desktop and buy parts on sale through sites like www.newegg.ca or on boxing day, you can make a very good gaming desktop for under $1000 + a screen and buy a cheap laptop for like $400.

If you dont know how to make one, what you can do is by a decent base desktop like http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product... E16883227365 and then as you wish to upgrade, get a techie friend's advice and maybe buy them a gift if they do put in the part for you.

Last edited by Snowman : 10-20-2011 at 10:08 PM.

AdelaisAer says thanks to Snowman for this post.

AdelaisAer likes this.
Old 10-20-2011 at 10:00 PM   #13
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

By the way I've had a good experience with Asus. I have used mine for 3 years every day. Carried in a bag etc. Only the HDD failed once (due to my mistake of dropping the laptop). Asus' warranty is also the best from what I have heard. For me, they ended up sending a Fedex dude to my door to pick up the laptop. They sent it back with Express Priority insured shipping (I guess they have a contract with Fedex because that shipping method starts at $100 for normal ppl).

For the past 5 years they have held their #1 position in laptops.

If you use a laptop everyday, I highly recommend reading http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/S...ility_1109.pdf and reading squaretrade articles which discuss reliability in detail.

Be well.

AdelaisAer says thanks to ZSimon for this post.

AdelaisAer, Snowman like this.
Old 10-20-2011 at 10:18 PM   #14
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

quality of laptop is kinda luck dependant. iv had bad luck on my asus laptop in the sense i had to reformat my partition like 3 times, then the whole OS died and i had to install a bootlag version. however it has been a great laptop nonetheless, just gota be careful with backing up ur stuff
Old 10-21-2011
hoform22xu
This message has been removed by a moderator. .