MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer Course Credit Transfer VoyozooT Academics 4 06-08-2010 12:02 AM
Transfer Credit precious Academics 7 12-30-2009 11:35 AM
Transfer credit for Level II elective courses wendy0519 Academics 4 06-14-2009 06:52 PM
Athabasca Transfer Credit missmatch Academics 4 04-14-2009 11:34 PM
Transfer Credit ! zaidyusufani First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-28-2008 02:12 PM

GCE O and A Level Credit Transfer

Old 07-11-2010 at 06:08 PM   #1
tauhaa

Liked: 0 Times

GCE O and A Level Credit Transfer
Hi,
Instead of the high school system followed in Canada, I have done my GCE O and A Levels, and I will be going into my first year of Engineering at McMaster University.

I have done the following courses:
O Levels: Math, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Studies, English, and Islamiyat
A Levels: Chemistry (AS), Physics (AS and A2), and Math (AS and A2)

Can I please know which courses at university will I be exempted from?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2010 at 06:12 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauhaa View Post
Hi,
Instead of the high school system followed in Canada, I have done my GCE O and A Levels, and I will be going into my first year of Engineering at McMaster University.

Thanks
I have no idea what the equivalents are and I'm sure there are few to none on MacInsiders who actually know. You'll have to contact an academic advisor and talk to them. On top of that, you would have to talk to them anyways to get any equivalent courses confirmed and transferred onto your transcript, so you might as well just call them tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2010 at 09:17 PM   #3
mtam

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauhaa View Post
Hi,

Thanks
O'levels are equivalent to Grade 12. Best advice speak w. academic advisor.
Old 07-11-2010 at 10:53 PM   #4
athmi100

Liked: 3 Times

I came to mac with Mac with Cambridge qualifications too. I had as AS and A2 in math, physics chemistry and Bio and a bunch of O-levels. I only got transfer credits in Math 1zz4 though :(
Old 07-12-2010 at 11:39 AM   #5
DMe3

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by athmi100 View Post
I came to mac with Mac with Cambridge qualifications too. I had as AS and A2 in math, physics chemistry and Bio and a bunch of O-levels. I only got transfer credits in Math 1zz4 though :(
is it because you're going into engineering? im taking math, biology, physics and chemistry but im going into life sciences I so do you think they'll consider all of them for transfer credits? like they'll give me the max 12 credits?
Old 07-12-2010 at 12:06 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMe3 View Post
is it because you're going into engineering? im taking math, biology, physics and chemistry but im going into life sciences I so do you think they'll consider all of them for transfer credits? like they'll give me the max 12 credits?
Call McMaster right now, they are open, and ask for an academic counselor. They are the only ones that can give you transfer credits.
Old 07-12-2010 at 12:47 PM   #7
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Its is the Faculty Associate Dean's office that evaluates the Alevel Transfer Credits for Social Sciences and not the registrar's office. Your best bet is to contact the science counterpart.

We would not be able to tell you what transfer credits you will get because it is entirely dependant on year to year and faculty office to faculty office and counsellor to counsellor. And also you won't get your transfer credits till you submit your official grade report to the office(Middle of August?) So it is entirely possible that they will then ask you to drop the courses they gave you transfer credits for.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13