MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
When does second semester of summer school start? Rakim Academics 4 06-12-2010 11:44 AM
Using Summer student card as Bus pass confusion... goldfish101 Automotive & Transportation 2 05-01-2010 10:03 PM
Do Medical Schools care if I took 4 courses first semester, 5 courses 2nd semester... Arnold General Discussion 6 07-17-2009 03:30 PM
HSR Summer Student Pass HeatherH General Discussion 5 04-26-2009 02:32 PM
No Bus Pass During Summer joset2 General Discussion 13 04-12-2008 05:56 PM

Get Your HSR Summer Semester Bus Pass from Compass!

Old 04-15-2010 at 09:29 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallo788 View Post
Last year you didn't have to be taking summer school classes to purchase the summer pass. It looks as though that has changed this year. Does anyone know why?
It would be up to the Hamilton Street Railway Commission, I assume. Last year it was supposed to be for students in summer school, not those working. You technically may be able to get around that rule depending on what you have to show the bus drivers (eg pass only, pass + student card etc)

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-15-2010 at 09:31 PM   #16
mallo788
Account Disabled by User

Liked: Liked 3 Times
Strange. I had one last year without attending summer school, used the bus almost daily and had to show the bus driver my student card every time I did.

Old 04-15-2010 at 09:35 PM   #17
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Sorry but, I don't see anyone buying it if it was just for summer school students.... you'd definitely be wasting your money.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 04-15-2010 at 09:41 PM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallo788 View Post
Strange. I had one last year without attending summer school, used the bus almost daily and had to show the bus driver my student card every time I did.
That's why I said supposed to...I forget what the wording was when I wrote up the announcements last year (I was a manager at Compass)...maybe I can still find them.

I think they were meant for students because students who work (in the eyes of the HST anyway) for some reason thought work = lots of money. Anyway, I'm speculating.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-15-2010 at 10:38 PM   #19
RumS

Liked: 0 Times
Hi!
I'm going into Life Sciences at Mac, and I want to know whether I can upgrade Calculus and Vectors in summer school. I'm starting my first session in September this year, and I'm not sure whether or not Mac can accepts summer school grades this year.

Thanks

Old 04-15-2010 at 11:38 PM   #20
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times
I rather buy a bike.

Old 04-15-2010 at 11:39 PM   #21
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times
I had last year's pass and it was an epic hassle to deal with. None of the bus drivers I encountered knew what it was and I was nearly thrown off the bus twice. I had to calmly explain to the driver what the card was and let them scour the fine print at the back to be able to travel in peace.

I am definitely switching to the regular bus passes for this year. They're more expensive, but at least you don't have the same problems you do with the summer pass.

Old 04-16-2010 at 12:26 AM   #22
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.erl View Post
I had last year's pass and it was an epic hassle to deal with. None of the bus drivers I encountered knew what it was and I was nearly thrown off the bus twice. I had to calmly explain to the driver what the card was and let them scour the fine print at the back to be able to travel in peace.

I am definitely switching to the regular bus passes for this year. They're more expensive, but at least you don't have the same problems you do with the summer pass.
You should have told someone at Compass! Then they can deal with the proper people (e.g. HSR)!

Old 04-16-2010 at 01:28 AM   #23
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
I'm considering this, but I don't know if the relative price has changed since Mowicz posted that cost analysis between bus passes and tickets.
My ears are burning...lol. To Katy: I find, instead of breaking down the cost per day, it's more useful to find the number of rides you must take in order to break even (ie. the point at which you start making a profit).

Let's assume you buy tickets for all of your 'non-bus-pass' transit and use transfers when applicable (as that is the most cost-effective alternative, a priori). This is $2.00 per trip**

**For the purposes of this discussion, a 'trip' constitutes either one bus ride, or two, three, etc. in quick succession using a bus transfer.

So it's $284 for unlimited rides. Thus it takes $284/ $2 = 142 trips in order for the pass to be worthwhile. Believe it or not, this is quite a lot.

If you're taking 4 summer courses, that's a full-time courseload for two semesters, you will be taking a maximum of 8 school-related trips, per week. This is because you'll have class on 4 days (it could be 2, if you have 2 classes each day, but this is unlikely), and be taking one trip to + one back each day.

There are a total of 13 weeks of summer school. This is 13 * 8 = 104 trips.

This yields a deficit of 142 - 104 = 38 trips, which is about $76. This means, in order for the bus pass to be a good deal, you must take 38 additional bus trips over the summer. If you have a job or other reason for commuting regularly, you could make up these additional trips...but if not, you have no reason to buy this pass.

Old 04-16-2010 at 02:52 AM   #24
Nosh

Liked: 17 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumS View Post
Hi!
I'm going into Life Sciences at Mac, and I want to know whether I can upgrade Calculus and Vectors in summer school. I'm starting my first session in September this year, and I'm not sure whether or not Mac can accepts summer school grades this year.

Thanks
You should contact the faculty or registrar , I know they dont take that into consideration for entrance scholarships s

Old 04-16-2010 at 03:35 PM   #25
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Why was it changed so that only summer school students can use the summer bus pass? I worked on campus as a McWork student last year and I used the summer bus pass (though I had the same problems as c.erl). I don't understand why they changed it this year ?

Old 04-16-2010 at 03:42 PM   #26
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Why was it changed so that only summer school students can use the summer bus pass? I worked on campus as a McWork student last year and I used the summer bus pass (though I had the same problems as c.erl). I don't understand why they changed it this year ?
See post #18 and #15.

Old 04-16-2010 at 09:48 PM   #27
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times
Hey sorry if this was asked but when does my student card stop working as a bus pass? End of this term? So April 28? Am I right?

Just wanna be sure to have some cash when I'm ready to board the bus to get to an interview (*crosses fingers and prays for interview*)

Old 04-16-2010 at 10:36 PM   #28
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Hey sorry if this was asked but when does my student card stop working as a bus pass? End of this term? So April 28? Am I right?

Just wanna be sure to have some cash when I'm ready to board the bus to get to an interview (*crosses fingers and prays for interview*)
Nope, last day of April. BUT I would recommend bringing some cash just in case you end up with a difficult driver.

Melanieee says thanks to lorend for this post.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search