Auto Insurance Pay919 Automotive & Transportation 9 07-21-2010 02:23 PM
G2 insurance cjdzl Automotive & Transportation 16 07-18-2010 09:44 PM

Getting Braces without Insurance

Old 05-18-2011 at 09:00 PM   #1
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Getting Braces without Insurance
I was wondering if anyone has gotten braces without Dental Insurance (i.e. employer, or parent's plan). How much does it cost on average?

Are there individual insurance plans that I can purchase that will make getting braces cheaper?
Old 05-18-2011 at 09:27 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

I've had braces for the longest time, getting them off just in time for university. My dad only works on contracts so we have no health/dental insurance of any sort at least from his workplace. It can be pretty costly but it depends on your teeth and the plan of action taken by your orthodontist.
Old 05-18-2011 at 09:29 PM   #3
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

Well to give you a straighter answer than that, when I went to a dentist a couple of years ago to check out if I needed braces I think his quote was $6000. I didn't get em though so I don't know for sure.
Old 05-18-2011 at 09:35 PM   #4
monachima505

Liked: 0 Times

My invisaligns were quoted from $6000-$7000 around Hamilton, but I got them from a Burlington ortho for $4500. Parents' insurance paid for half of it.
Old 05-18-2011 at 09:37 PM   #5
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

My braces costs me about 4000$ at a rate of 200$ per month. It depends on your orthodontist and how long you have to keep the braces on for.

I don't know if it is a good idea to get insurance just for braces...unless you plan on keeping the insurance coverage after you're done with your braces. I'd talk to your orthodontist to find out what's the best way to pay for all this.

Allan says thanks to Krusenik for this post.
Old 05-19-2011 at 10:29 AM   #6
Allan
Elite Member

Thanks for the responses.

Are there ever additional costs down the road? Or is it a set price from the beginning?
Old 05-19-2011 at 12:10 PM   #7
Sheep

The cost is usually a set price from the start and it should include everything. I think it should include the retainers in it too but you should make sure to ask your orthodontist that. They will tell you what's included when you go for the initial check-up. My friend said she had to pay extra when she broke her brackets but that never happened to me. I think most orthodontists should replace those for free anyway.
Old 05-19-2011 at 02:03 PM   #8
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

thats it im not getting braces anymore i cant afford to waste anymore money thx to uni ><
Old 05-20-2011 at 08:06 AM   #9
Lauren.xo

Liked: 4 Times

My braces were $5000 at about $300 per month, at the end of four long, painful years he insisted I keep them on for longer- however, this did not cost me extra, it was included. Retainer was included but any replacements were $200, and any damages or missing parts (loose brackets, snapped elastics, etc.) were always replaced for free. It may depend on your orthodontist, or what your braces are correcting- my braces were for an overbite.

Good luck!

Lauren

Allan says thanks to Lauren.xo for this post.
Old 05-20-2011 at 09:46 AM   #10
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

At really depends on what type of braces you are getting. One : I'm guessing you don't what Invisalign, the "invisable braces" because thats breaking the bank.
If your teeth arent that bad, retainer like braces may be good enough .. not more than a couple hundred.
Theres braces that arent remoivable,but only have that one wire in the front that are more expensive few thousand.
There's more common one, for when you need that pull, , the one with the brackets cost around 6K i think my parents paid.

What I would do go to teaching school that Toronto's Dentistry school. You still you pay alot but nothing compared to a full orthodontist.
Old 05-20-2011 at 10:49 AM   #11
KN1991

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by monachima505 View Post
My invisaligns were quoted from $6000-$7000 around Hamilton, but I got them from a Burlington ortho for $4500. Parents' insurance paid for half of it.

How were they? My mom asked me the other day if I wanted to get invisaligns (I refused to get braces as a teen) and my dentist quoted upward $7000, I guess I should shop around for some quotes first if I go through with it.

"What I would do go to teaching school that Toronto's Dentistry school. You still you pay alot but nothing compared to a full orthodontist"

That's a good idea, my friend is at GB downtown and she does cleanings for next to nothing, so for students that are strapped for cash it's a good idea. Don't forget, to anyone else reading, we have some dental insurance from our school and it includes one fully covered cleaning (each year) and 50-75% of some other procedures (I think wisdom teeth/cavities/pulling teeth etc.) but only up to like $750 or something. You can find the info on the school website.
Old 05-20-2011 at 11:56 AM   #12
ytpos
too poor to change this

Liked: 15 Times

Wear your retainer... They make you get it replaced if it doesn't fit right anymore... Sigh
Old 05-24-2011 at 11:17 AM   #13
monachima505

Quote:
Originally Posted by KN1991 View Post
How were they? My mom asked me the other day if I wanted to get invisaligns (I refused to get braces as a teen) and my dentist quoted upward $7000, I guess I should shop around for some quotes first if I go through with it.
I'm still finishing up treatment because I needed to get 2 revisions done. The entire treatment took 2 years because of this (I had a pretty complex case :S). Overall, the actual invisaligns couldn't have been less of a hassle. As long as you don't lose them, there are really few problems you can run into. Supposed to be worn 20-22 hours per day, but even if you screw up some days, you can just add them on to the end of the treatment without a big deal. It does extend the treatment if you do that too often though. And ortho check ups were only every 6 weeks, so pretty reasonable.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it!

Allan, KN1991 all say thanks to monachima505 for this post.
Old 05-24-2011 at 01:33 PM   #14
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

5k... most orthodontists are able to work out a payment plan if u need it

Allan says thanks to giftedchick for this post.
Old 05-24-2011 at 02:58 PM   #15
Allan
Elite Member

Is it alot cheaper if I pay them all up front?