MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Level II Banshee Academics 8 05-31-2010 11:23 PM
Commerce Level Help Commie8507 Academics 3 05-31-2010 10:33 PM
commerce level 1,help Jackjack3067 Academics 2 05-02-2010 11:47 PM
level 4 Chris094 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 01-22-2010 09:42 AM
Level II Programs? Mr.Prodigy Academics 5 03-29-2009 10:56 PM

Getting into Med Rad Sci Level II

Old 01-13-2011 at 04:58 PM   #1
Olivia.

Liked: 9 Times

Getting into Med Rad Sci Level II
So my friend and I have been wondering when we will be applying for the specializations and more importantly, when will we know which one we got into ?
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-13-2011 at 06:54 PM   #2
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

You'll be doing this near exams and you'll find out what you got into like a month after school when all grades are released (that was may31 last year). That's how I remember it at least. Makes the first month of summer full of "anticipation".

You pick your preferred stream on Mugsi and its not like a one day thing, your top choices are editable for over a week.

*The choice choosing time might differ slightly between faculties.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Last edited by Boolean : 01-13-2011 at 06:59 PM.

Olivia. says thanks to Boolean for this post.
Old 01-13-2011 at 07:49 PM   #3
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Oo, Med Rad Student! I saw few of you guys during the first semester but not so much in the second semester. It is like they all disappeared somewhere lol

Isn't it for Med Rad, there are 3 specializations to pick from? At least that's what I heard. Which specialization interests you btw?? Radiation Therapy sounds pretty sweet! They were talking about it in Bio and it was pretty interesting! Do you know which specialization your classmates wants to get into? I heard it is pretty cut throat haha.

Last edited by jeboi7 : 01-13-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2011 at 08:44 PM   #4
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
Oo, Med Rad Student! I saw few of you guys during the first semester but not so much in the second semester. It is like they all disappeared somewhere lol

Isn't it for Med Rad, there are 3 specializations to pick from? At least that's what I heard. Which specialization interests you btw?? Radiation Therapy sounds pretty sweet! They were talking about it in Bio and it was pretty interesting! Do you know which specialization your classmates wants to get into? I heard it is pretty cut throat haha.
It can be pretty cut-throat if you meet the wrong people. Which goes for any program.

Last edited by _Luu_ : 01-13-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Olivia. likes this.
Old 01-18-2011 at 02:07 PM   #5
Olivia.

Quote:

lol there's Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound and Radiology. I'm leaning towards Radiology at the moment, and we've all disappeared because we don't have many regular science courses anymore (like calc and bio)
Old 01-18-2011 at 03:38 PM   #6
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia. View Post
lol there's Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound and Radiology. I'm leaning towards Radiology at the moment, and we've all disappeared because we don't have many regular science courses anymore (like calc and bio)
Thanks for letting me know all 3 streams. I know 2 girls in Radiography and they both love it. They told me that 2nd year is better than 1st year except that there are more skills inolved. Not sure what that meant but they told me that it is so much more hands-on, like you learn how to perform procedures and etc in classes.

What is the most popular stream from your class? Sometimes, I tell myself that maybe I should have gone to MedRad b/c Life Science is just a killer. I mean, rad therapy sounds so cool...

Last edited by jeboi7 : 01-18-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2011 at 03:45 PM   #7
zombiejesus

Liked: 80 Times

Protip: Radiographers have the best job prospects followed by ultrasound. IMHO becoming a radiographer shouldn't take 4 years + two summers though, but what can you do?

Also don't listen to Luu; he's just in the program to play with expensive stuff.
Old 01-18-2011 at 05:54 PM   #8
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiejesus View Post
Also don't listen to Luu; he's just in the program to play with expensive stuff.
LOL. Why you frontin' me?

But yeah, radiographers and ultrasonographers have the hotter job market. Therapy hasn't been going too well for the past few years, but I'd go almost anywhere (almost) even abroad, so I'm not too concerned.

The job market is something to be taken in consideration when applying. Clearly Ian didn't.

(Ian you better watch yourself tomorrow. 'Cause I know all that kung fu and shit...)

Last edited by _Luu_ : 01-18-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2011 at 07:11 PM   #9
Olivia.

Quote:
What is the most popular stream from your class? Sometimes, I tell myself that maybe I should have gone to MedRad b/c Life Science is just a killer. I mean, rad therapy sounds so cool...
Honestly, right now it all seems pretty even, with it being approximately 80 going for ultrasound, 80 for radiography and about 20 for rad ther..I'm thinking about putting rad ther as my first. If I miraculously get in, I'll go for it, but otherwise go for x-ray.
And if you want to switch, I wouldn't discourage it. I can't say I have any complaints about the program so far and I've only been told it gets better
Old 01-24-2011 at 07:12 PM   #10
Olivia.

PS: Med Rad formal anyone ? I'm working on my mask right now.. I'm pumped lol
Old 01-24-2011 at 08:17 PM   #11
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Honestly, right now it all seems pretty even, with it being approximately 80 going for ultrasound, 80 for radiography and about 20 for rad ther..I'm thinking about putting rad ther as my first. If I miraculously get in, I'll go for it, but otherwise go for x-ray.
And if you want to switch, I wouldn't discourage it. I can't say I have any complaints about the program so far and I've only been told it gets better
What happened to Radiography being the first choice? lol I heard Rad Therapy is super competitve but if only 20 ppl want it..then it seems like you have a good shot.

I am starting to think maybe I should have gone to medrad or nursing...I was accepted by all three and chose life science..I regret that decision now.
Old 01-24-2011 at 08:20 PM   #12
zombiejesus

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
That's what I did and assumed the competition would be fierce (it wasn't, people got what they wanted from what I understand). Read about the careers you are thinking about and the working environment you'll be going into.

I remember when I first realized that I wanted to be a radiation therapist. I was 15 at the time and I had just gotten home from hanging out with my good friend Timmy who had just lost one of his testicles to cancer. I told my parents about Timmy and my mom got scared, and said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air." I whistled for a cab and when it came near The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare, but I thought, "Nah, forget it. Yo, holmes to Bel-Air!" I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and I yelled to the cabbie, "Yo homes smell ya later!" Looked at my kingdom I was finally there, to sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air.

Quote:
I am starting to think maybe I should have gone to medrad or nursing...I was accepted by all three and chose life science..I regret that decision now.
There's a nursing BScN 2 year bridging program you can take if you hate life sci in a couple years. Alternatively, the Med Rad program is unique in that it is an undergraduate MRT program. There are plenty of colleges that will take you after you get your degree to turn you into an MRT or a sonographer. There's also paramedicine: jobs are hard to get but a BSc makes you more competitive. Also, why stay in Life Sci? Why not specialize into Biochem or something else if you dislike general life sci? As a final option, med rad also takes in a few transfer students... I began in 1st year as an enviro sci student.

Almost forgot: working your ass off and applying for the Physician's Assistant program is another option if you want to work in health care.

Last edited by zombiejesus : 01-24-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2011 at 09:13 PM   #13
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

I don't know man, I am not doing too well right now. I want to work in the health field so medrad or nursing seem practical at the moment.

Oh well, I will see how this year goes and then decide.
Old 01-25-2011 at 11:10 AM   #14
Olivia.

Quote:
What happened to Radiography being the first choice? lol I heard Rad Therapy is super competitve but if only 20 ppl want it..then it seems like you have a good shot.
Well, after going out to see the Juravinski Cancer Centre last week I'm starting to change my mind haha I'm hoping to go check out an x-ray department sometime soon..hopefully once I've seen them both I will make up my mind. And they only accept 20 into rad therapy soooooooo we'll see haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiejesus View Post
That's what I did and assumed the competition would be fierce (it wasn't, people got what they wanted from what I understand). Read about the careers you are thinking about and the working environment you'll be going into.

I remember when I first realized that I wanted to be a radiation therapist. I was 15 at the time and I had just gotten home from hanging out with my good friend Timmy who had just lost one of his testicles to cancer. I told my parents about Timmy and my mom got scared, and said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air." I whistled for a cab and when it came near The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare, but I thought, "Nah, forget it. Yo, holmes to Bel-Air!" I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and I yelled to the cabbie, "Yo homes smell ya later!" Looked at my kingdom I was finally there, to sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air.
To the first part: well, that's rather reassuring and I've already done so much research about it! I'm really outgoing and personable but I'm a little worried about the x-ray hours killing me. But at the same time, it being much harder to find a job in radiation therapy is even more so worrisome
and to the second: random ? lol
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:28 PM   #15
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

[quote=Olivia.;215408]Well, after going out to see the Juravinski Cancer Centre last week I'm starting to change my mind haha I'm hoping to go check out an x-ray department sometime soon..hopefully once I've seen them both I will make up my mind. And they only accept 20 into rad therapy soooooooo we'll see haha

Wow, only 20 spots for Radiation Therapy! That is pretty competitive, what is the GPA to get in?

I know few people who graduated from Radiation Therapy and they work in europe and outside of Canada. The transition isn't as hard as people may think, job market can change very quickly and opportunities are out there.

Last edited by jeboi7 : 01-25-2011 at 01:42 PM.