MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Not Fully Registered On Solar RememberTwce First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 07-29-2010 07:57 PM
have i registered for all the subjects?(engineering 1) Abid Raihan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-29-2010 08:10 PM
Not fully registered?! tammy37 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-18-2008 08:46 AM
Not fully registered!? amplified First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-14-2008 04:14 PM
Becoming Fully Registered Penguin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-04-2008 11:55 PM

Getting Registered Fall 2008

Getting Registered Fall 2008

After a long wait, the Office Of The Registrar has finally launched their Getting Registered Guide for Fall 2008. You can view here.

They have also released a Getting Started Checklist so you don't miss anything along the way. Print it out!

Furthermore, an updated WORKSHEET has been released that helps you plan out your courses that you write down from the McMaster Master Course Timetable. Click here to download and print off the worksheet.

SOLAR registration begins TONIGHT at a minute past midnight (technically tomorrow morning) for upper year students in select faculties. Be sure to check out when SOLAR opens for you.

Also be sure to take a look at MacInsiders' unofficial guides to registering on SOLAR here and here, as they are step by step and easy to follow.

Goodluck everyone with your course selections for FALL 2008!!!
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 06-16-2008 at 03:48 PM   #2
mcmaster12

Liked: 6 Times
theres a parent information form to fill out? where do we get that? necessary?

Old 06-16-2008 at 11:36 PM   #3
__lexington

Liked: 1 Time
Humanities 1
I suppose this sort of fits here...boot me if not!

Quote:
Do all my courses have to be from Humanities?
  • No. If you are a Humanities student, you must register for at least 12 units of Humanities courses (6 units in each of 2 disciplines). The other 18 units can be chosen from courses offered by Humanities or other faculties, as long as you meet any prerequisites individual courses may have.
So...what does it mean two disciplines. :S I haven't read anything about this!

Also, about Math...yes I'm in Humanities...but I get bored EASY. But I hate math.But I did take Advanced Functions. Do I take the intro course? Or the one just above it?

Old 06-17-2008 at 12:12 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
We wouldn't boot! We would move if it was in a really obscure place.

Disciplines for humanities include: languages (french, spanish, greek, latin etc), philosophy, English, history, CULTURAL STUDIES, music, communications, multimedia...

If you hate Math and don't need it DON'T TAKE IT. There is no point in taking a course you're going to hate just to fill up room...there are...LOTS of other options for first year classes...so take something else!!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-17-2008 at 07:46 AM   #5
__lexington

So do I have to take two courses in each or is that just suggested?

Old 06-17-2008 at 08:10 AM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times
Just for everyone's reference, that quote from Lexington came from the Humanities FAQ: http://www.humanities.mcmast er.ca/...nts/FAQ.html#7

If you look at the Humanities requirements (click here) you will see that it says the following:

Quote:
Requirements:
Students admitted to Humanities I {0700} must complete 30 units as follows:
12 unitsfrom Course List 1 (should include six units in each of two subjects listed above)
18 unitsElectives, which may include courses from Course Lists 1 and 2
So it's telling you that you need to have at least 12 UNITS from COURSE LIST 1 and that you have to take 6 of one type of subject, and 6 of another.

Basically it means that they want you to take four 3-unit classes from 2 subjects, reason being that once you get into second year if you want to major in any of these subjects they almost always require you to have BOTH 1A03 and 1B03 classes from that subject. Almost all of the subjects have at least two classes (except for CMST which only has 1A03).

So you pick out two groups of 6 and then you pick other courses to fill your electives (the example below shows what it may look like if you decide to take all Humanities courses for your electives)

Old 06-17-2008 at 08:18 PM   #7
__lexington

Chad: You are radtacular.

Thanks. Okay...so...sorry to bother with all of these questions...if there is a website that I've overlooked that answers this just DIRECT. :$

When looking at the requirements for, let's say, the Comm. Studies Honours Major...it says 30 units from level one, recieved prior to entry into level two. Then it goes on to say what other courses you need. One of the courses listed in a level one Linguistics course. I was wondering if I took this course in level one if it would count as an elective or as compulsory. :S

Aslo, when making the payment agreements for registration, I think I read somewhere you have to submit this agreement for registration to be considered complete. Does that mean submitting an agreement or submitting the actual payment (ex. Office of Registar must recieve post-dated cheque)?

Old 06-17-2008 at 09:21 PM   #8
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

more details... which linguistics course are we talking about here? As far as I know there isn't a required linguistics course, at least I didnt have to take any.

For payment agreement you need to agree to pay to finalize, but dont have to actually give them to money yet. Just agree to do so and pay before the deadline which is before school starts

Old 06-17-2008 at 09:25 PM   #9
__lexington

HHahaha, agree to do so before deadline. Sorry...it's sort of funny.

Um...LINGUIST 1A03 and 1AA3 I believe...But it was in a category where it said 6 units of: [insert stuff]. I'm looking at the Undergrad Course Calendar for all this actually. It's before the part about "Students enterting program prior to Sept. 2007" so I guess this is new? I just figured if I can get required credits out of the way now...why not?

Old 06-17-2008 at 09:48 PM   #10
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

I see what you mean now.

The LEVEL 1 requirements list LING 1A and 1AA3 as classes you can choose from the course list, but ALSO list them as choices in the 2nd year CMST major requirement choices.

Basically you have three options:

(a) take LING 1A and 1AA3 in first year and count it towards your 30 first year units
(b) Take ONE of LING 1A OR 1AA3 in first year and then take other classes to fill the 30 units, then in 2nd year take the remaining class (LING 1A or 1AA3) to count towards your requirements for the "6 units from LINGUIST 1A03, 1AA3, CMST 2E03, 2F03, 3G03, 3V03, 3Y03, MMEDIA 2I03". Why can you only take one of them in second year? Well because it says "which may include no more than three units of Level I courses"... so you can only take one of the LING courses to fulfill that requirement and would need 1 other course from that list that isn't a first year course.
(c) Don't take LINGUISTICS at all. Take some other courses from the courselist to fulfill the 30 first-year units, and in 2nd year take two of the other choices from the required list they give you to pick from

MY RECOMMENDATION: If you really like LINGUISTICS, I suggest taking 1A and 1AA3 both in first year and fulfill one of the grouped 6 unit requirements for first year for those 30 first-year units. Then in second year take two of CMST 2E03, 2F03, 3G03, 3V03, 3Y03, or MMEDIA 2I03 to fulfill the requirement for your major.

NOTE: COURSES CAN'T FUFILL TWO REQUIREMENTS. So a class can only fulfill one (thus if you take both courses in first year, you can't use those 6 units you took to fulfill other requirements from that 2nd year CMST requirement page).

Old 06-17-2008 at 09:53 PM   #11
__lexington

THANK YOU!

Okay. Descision one ::check::
Honestly, who likes Lingustics? Really?
Just...needed to fill up credits...
So instead I'll do the old "I give myself too many options" and take the both the Cultural Studies and Critical Thinking courses. Yay six units from one subject

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Chad!

Old 06-17-2008 at 10:07 PM   #12
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

you're welcome

Old 06-18-2008 at 08:55 AM   #13
mizosoup

Liked: 0 Times
If you don't have the required pre-reqs for a particular on your record, will they let you register in the course ie: will you be able to register for it on SOLAR come midnight/8:30am/whenever SOLAR opens?

The reason I ask is that I'm an exchange student and I'm STILL waiting on pre-req waivers for my courses and I'm getting a little worried - my registration opens tonight/tomorrow morning/whichever it is as it seems to change, and I received an auto-reply from my faculty adviser's email saying that she is off-campus today. Argh!

Old 06-18-2008 at 09:20 AM   #14
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

No, if you don't have the pre-req's it won't let you add the course.

Old 06-18-2008 at 10:02 AM   #15
mizosoup

Liked: 0 Times
Ok, thanks Chad.

Also, two more questions:

1. SOLAR opens for Level 3 students this week. Is this restricted to Level 3 courses only? I'm going to be doing courses from various levels, so do I need to go in again when SOLAR opens for that level, or can I do it all at once?

2. What's the time now in Hamilton? Google tells me that its 11am but the time displayed here on MacInsiders tells me it's 10am...

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search