MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to submit doc note? Cassandraa87 Academics 9 02-03-2010 03:39 PM
On another another lighter note - soccer anyone? _Luu_ General Discussion 39 07-06-2009 01:15 PM
TRICK OR TREAT for SICK KIDS Chad General Discussion 1 10-21-2008 07:59 PM
100 Dollars Note zaidyusufani General Discussion 4 08-23-2008 11:30 AM
A few new things to note Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2006 01:03 AM

Getting a sick note?

Old 10-19-2010 at 03:35 PM   #16
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
My highschool policy was that you couldn't hand in late assignments once they were returned, but if you handed in a late assignment before the others were marked and returned to the class the teacher had to accept them w/o taking off marks. This usually gave you anywhere from a few weeks to a few months extra to do school work... I abused the hell out of that system in Gr. 11 and Gr. 12
*dislike* Our school was like, one day late = 10% off...
Old 10-19-2010 at 03:36 PM   #17
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
That sort of reminds me of how, in high school, your assignments can be late but you get 5% of your regular grade for 5 days, and then you get a 0. But NOW they've changed the system so you can hand in the assignment whever you want. What's the point of making due dates, then? I think it's so stupid. Kids are never going to learn to get their stuff in on time and they'll be screwed when they get to uni. It sucks for teachers, too, becasue they get overloaded with papers at the end of the sem.
...I came from a self-paced high school.

This means that at the beginning of the term, we'd be given roughly two weeks worth of work to do, with no due date. Whenever it was done, we'd just hand it in, probably write a test, then get the next chunk of work to do. No due dates, no problem.

Sure, it might have taken me an extra year to graduate, but I'd say I'm doing pretty well now.
Old 10-19-2010 at 10:59 PM   #18
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
*dislike* Our school was like, one day late = 10% off...
Yup, mine too. Pretty hardcore, but it prevented me from slacking...

..too much.
Old 10-28-2010 at 09:53 PM   #19
keioffice

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
As for legal ways...you can try talking to the prof. My friend missed his exam once because he slept in, he begged the prof for mercy and she let him rewrite it.

They also started a new system this year where you can use this form: https://pinjap01.mcmaster.ca/msaf/ if you're absent for up to 5 days due to illness and miss any work, no doctor's note required. You can only use it twice per term.

EDIT: That form doesn't apply to actual exams, but if by "exam" you mean you missed a midterm or test, then you can use it.
This new system, its only to REQUEST relief for missing work right? The prof can still call bullshit, yes?

Last edited by keioffice : 10-28-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2010 at 10:17 PM   #20
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:
This new system, its only to REQUEST relief for missing work right? The prof can still bullshit, yes?
Ahh, nice catch on the "request" part. Ummm I really don't know the details. My geography prof just briefly told us about it and said to use it. She said it was like the swine flu form last year, which I actually used when I missed a lab and midterm and my profs didn't have a problem with it. So I'm guessing if the prof doesn't want to give you relief they don't have to
Old 10-28-2010 at 10:29 PM   #21
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by keioffice View Post
This new system, its only to REQUEST relief for missing work right? The prof can still call bullshit, yes?
The profs really have no say, it'd be the administration calling you in. But you'd have to really abuse it for that to happen.