MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long distance international calls Richa Computers & Tech 5 09-05-2010 09:29 AM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
What Counts as LOCAL CALLS? resh.jyoti Residence & Housing 20 08-14-2009 10:56 AM
weird question!! ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-28-2008 12:48 PM
weird but true!!!! joset2 General Discussion 1 06-14-2007 02:52 PM

Getting Weird Calls on Campus Phone

Old 01-22-2009 at 01:03 PM   #1
johnaa

Liked: 0 Times

Getting Weird Calls on Campus Phone
Hi I keep on getting this weird call on my campus phone. This guy told me some names and asks me if they volunteered under me. This call just seemed weird to me. So I wanted to know if anyone else gets this call and one regarding car insurance.
Old 01-22-2009 at 02:01 PM   #2
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Maybe someone used you as a reference but didn't tell you.

And the insurance one, no clue
Old 01-22-2009 at 05:13 PM   #3
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

That happened to me last year, with the weird call, thinking I'm someone else. But that was because there's another student with the exact same name (first AND last) who also lived on campus.

I assume the caller probably just used the McMaster Operator and got to my line because they provided the name, and the operator just selected whichever came up first...
Old 01-22-2009 at 06:31 PM   #4
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

wrong number maybe?
Also, just tell the guy to stop calling you if he keeps on calling.
Old 01-22-2009 at 07:12 PM   #5
Nilgan

the car insurance calls are coming from california. its a scam that has been going on alot recently with ppl in Ontario.
Old 01-22-2009 at 08:43 PM   #6
bauhaual

Also...if you filled out any forms or ballots during welcome week at either the Clubsfest or Sidewalk sale, then a lot of companies have access to your phone extension. I know my friend keeps getting calls from a church group.
Old 01-23-2009 at 11:08 AM   #7
BHChew

Liked: Liked 2 Times

It's probably best not to even attempt to figure out how these people get your number. If you type it or write it on anything it's my opinion that it's only a matter of time before you get freak long distance calls.

Even worse on my cell just last week I got a call from a Vermont number that is supposed to be disconnected and suggested that my car insurance is about to expire. I don't own a car.
The weirdest thing is that I can't recall any time when I've given out my number except to friends.
My guesses are:
-that my number may have been given by proxy somehow by someone I know unknowingly
-they have a random phone dialer (Simpsons episode)
-some alternative source of phone records..

It's also too bad that none of the cell companies allow you to block numbers and bell or whoever makes you pay extra/month to be able to do it on a landline. Not sure how campus would handle it.

If you're curious about it and have caller ID, you can go to sites like http://whocallsme.com/ or simply google "calls from 123-456-7890" to see if there are others who get similar calls.

I hope that's helpful and you are able to fend off the phone-bots.
Old 01-23-2009 at 08:14 PM   #8
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

I had the dreadful experience of working as a Telemarketer once, and I have to say that in retrospect, there is no way to avoid getting calls like this. Firstly, if there's been ever a time where you handed out your number; you're immediately hooked. Most companies will have direct access to your number and will often bombard you with calls. And from the sounds of it, this is exactly happening to you.

Just on a side note, for any of you looking for a way in preventing some annoying calls:

Interestingly enough, a bill was passed in September of last year that allows people to get out of these telemarketing calls (for the most part).

https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/

Once you're numbers registered, by Canadian law, telemarketers must have their lists updated within a succession of 31 days ~ removing your number. Of course, charities, places of prior business association, and a few other callers are exempt from this. Mind you, there's obviously no way to entirely prevent these kind of calls, but it does help a little.