MacInsiders Logo

glove use at pillers deli???

Old 07-13-2009 at 10:23 PM   #46
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
This is hilarious. There are tons of restaurants where employees don't wash their hands and spit in your food if you end up complaining. Not wearing gloves is the least of your concerns, at least they're hand washing : )
lol are you talking about third world restaurants? Or your recent trip to India? I know what you are talking about lol! My Immune system is made of steel after having lived 18 years in such a place!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 07-13-2009 at 10:26 PM   #47
stressedspec
Account Locked

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
lol are you talking about third world restaurants? Or your recent trip to India? I know what you are talking about lol! My Immune system is made of steel after having lived 18 years in such a place!
lol, not sure if your from lahore but if your immune system can withstand food street food then you can eat just about anything
Old 07-13-2009 at 10:27 PM   #48
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Haha. Some of the restaurants where i live are kind of questionable with respect to sanitation ... but highly delicious. I love having an iron stomach.

But, on the India note, it was hilarious when everyone was getting the runs and I was perfectly fine. =p
Old 07-13-2009 at 11:07 PM   #49
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are on about here, :S According to the majority of moderate viewpoints on Alcohol, the usage of alcohol depends entirely on "intentions"; Alcohol swabs and sanitizers are being used for medical purposes not for intoxication, why would the above mentioned individual be offended? Also if you aren't aware alot of medical usage Alcohol products are synthetic, hence removing the Corn, Barley, Grape(for some schools of thought) stipulation as a source for Haram(illegal) alcohol.

Even your second point is rather silly, how is shaking a hand sodomy? Sodomy by dictionary definition is Intercourse between people of the same sex. I'm sorry but I really find that point by you as highly offensive and insensitive. If it was an attempt at satire, I would say bringing religion into your attempts is a pretty sad way to invite the attention and ire of people of Muslim Faith on this forum. You are finding it "ridiculous" that people have issues with handling of Pork and Halal food but your response isn't the most neutral either!

And while I do admit that it was an unfortunate loss of food, it is a loss that will be avoided in the future by the server lady if she remembers to keep things seperate. There are only a handful(3-4 according to last count) of Halal options on campus, and no one complains! People do have a right to follow their religion in peace without someone remarking at how ridiculous it is, I understand that Christianity as a religion is less restrictive, but that shouldn't mean someone's claim of being "fundamentalist" is something entirely negative.

Also this isn't different from any fast food restaurant; I've recently started working at A&W and you'll be surprised at the amount of perfectly good Food that gets thrown away for various reasons the whole day! And yes I do handle Bacon without complaining as well, why? Because its "work".

Live and let live Sir!
I agree that the point regarding alcohol is over the top and somewhat ignorant but I'm quite sure Alex knows the definition of sodomy. I think he meant would you shake their hand knowing that as a homosexual they have likely committed sodomy, an illegal act according to the laws some Muslims follow.

It was a waste of food and it sounds like it wasn't entirely the server's fault. Obviously they knew the person preparing the sandwich had touched pork so why not ask in advance for them to change their gloves or wash their hands. It seems careless to wait until the sandwich is made an then say oh could you make me a new one b/c you touched pork prior to touching my halal meat. They have every right to their freedom of religion and wanting their food to be within their dietary restrictions but if they knew the Piller's lady had touched pork why did a new sandwich have to be made? It's unclear based on their telling of the story why the sandwich maker wasn't asked prior to preparing the sandwich to wash hands/change gloves or whatever. Perhaps the original poster could clarify.

So yeah it's not ridiculous to follow your religion etc but I don't think the OP made it clear why the food ended up being wasted. Did they not realize pork had been touched until after it was prepared or what? How did that happen.

It's cliche to bring up starving children in Africa but it's a valid point, that sandwich could have fed someone without dietary restrictions who was starving.

As for fundamentalism well I'm certainly not here to get into a debate on that but the word certainly has very negative connotations. I see fundamentalist religion of any kind as bad thing, not just Islam. I think organized religion overall can be an awful thing, but the fundamentalists of different religions are definitely the worst. Again though, not here to get into a debate, that's just how I feel. The person chose to refer to them self as a fundamentalist.
Old 07-13-2009 at 11:15 PM   #50
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

i never really minded this.. hmm anyways my piller's sandwich is eggplant/red pepper (Veggie Patch) sandwich so tasty and also very filling.
Old 07-13-2009 at 11:19 PM   #51
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

All this talk about on campus food is making me long for Bridges.

.:callen:., Geek, Maegs like this.
Old 07-13-2009 at 11:34 PM   #52
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
All this talk about on campus food is making me long for Bridges.
i wish bridges was open in summer!
Old 07-13-2009 at 11:37 PM   #53
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

lol Stephanie, I wasn't defending the original poster! I was merely commenting on the nature of the second post. And I reaaaaaaally don't want to get into this but whatever your definition of "fundamentalism" is, think again and do some more research! Though I'm not blaming you for anything here I assure you.

You live in the west, your perception and coginitive response to the word is based entirely on culture and media. Everyone has the word and the perceptions behind it very very wrong, even the people(Muslims) who say they follow Fundamentalism!

Cheers!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

daisy likes this.
Old 07-13-2009 at 11:45 PM   #54
stressedspec
Account Locked

couldn't agree with you more, the media spoon foods individuals into believing that a fundamentalist muslim or christian etc is some crazed psycho.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 07-14-2009 at 12:10 AM   #55
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedspec View Post
couldn't agree with you more, the media spoon foods individuals into believing that a fundamentalist muslim or christian etc is some crazed psycho.
DEFINITELY! And not even fundamentalist.. the rule soon applies to all through stereotyping :(

daisy likes this.
Old 07-14-2009 at 03:49 AM   #56
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I was afraid to say anything before in my first post regarding this Halal meat situation, seeing as this forums like to stay at a neutral standpoint; but I think this whole "pork is dirty" thing that Muslims and Jews follow is just dumb. Especially when it was just "touched" by the same person that made the OP in this topic's sammich. To the OP, you probably would have consumed less than 1 Mg of Pork (if you can even call it that in that little of a quantity).

I got board at work a few weeks ago and actually read Wikipedia to see what this is all about, and it seems to be because a pig is regarded as "dirty". Okay, so by whose definition is a pig dirty? These rules seem to be pretty dated. I'm sure 2000 years ago (or even longer perhaps) when these rules were made, pigs (and probably a lot of other animals at the time) weren't kept properly before and after being slaughtered, resulting in their meat being known to spread infection. Regardless though, I'm pretty sure that all other animals were/are just as dirty. It seems a lot of people argue too that it's because pigs eat their own feces. As gross as it sounds; a lot of animals are unable to properly digest what they eat the first time around, and need to eat it twice to gain the full nutritional value.

The only thing I find even more silly is the rules in Judaism of what is Kosher. These seem completely random and all over the place. You can't eat anything that crawls on the ground (lobster). You can't eat any land mammals that do not chew some sort of cud (pig). You can't eat some birds if they aren't hatched with feathers and aren't able to walk soon after. And on top of all that; there is a whole bunch of food that you cannot eat if it has not been prepared by a Jew.

Seems a lot easier to just live disregarding religion entirely, or at least the dated technicalities :/

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 07-14-2009 at 03:55 AM.

Alex McColl likes this.
Old 07-14-2009 at 08:27 AM   #57
stressedspec
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I was afraid to say anything before in my first post regarding this Halal meat situation, seeing as this forums like to stay at a neutral standpoint; but I think this whole "pork is dirty" thing that Muslims and Jews follow is just dumb. Especially when it was just "touched" by the same person that made the OP in this topic's sammich. To the OP, you probably would have consumed less than 1 Mg of Pork (if you can even call it that in that little of a quantity).

I got board at work a few weeks ago and actually read Wikipedia to see what this is all about, and it seems to be because a pig is regarded as "dirty". Okay, so by whose definition is a pig dirty? These rules seem to be pretty dated. I'm sure 2000 years ago (or even longer perhaps) when these rules were made, pigs (and probably a lot of other animals at the time) weren't kept properly before and after being slaughtered, resulting in their meat being known to spread infection. Regardless though, I'm pretty sure that all other animals were/are just as dirty. It seems a lot of people argue too that it's because pigs eat their own feces. As gross as it sounds; a lot of animals are unable to properly digest what they eat the first time around, and need to eat it twice to gain the full nutritional value.

The only thing I find even more silly is the rules in Judaism of what is Kosher. These seem completely random and all over the place. You can't eat anything that crawls on the ground (lobster). You can't eat any land mammals that do not chew some sort of cud (pig). You can't eat some birds if they aren't hatched with feathers and aren't able to walk soon after. And on top of all that; there is a whole bunch of food that you cannot eat if it has not been prepared by a Jew.

Seems a lot easier to just live disregarding religion entirely, or at least the dated technicalities :/
I dont know a lot about why kosher is performed if someone could enlighten us on the concept that would be great but in Islam we abstain from eating pork because the pig is the most avaricious and is the cradle of harmful germs and parasites (Swine Flu). Also in the Bible there are verses that are against the consumption of pork, its just ignored by most.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 07-14-2009 at 09:46 AM   #58
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
That's really odd.. I don't think I've experienced that before.. =S.. Where you actually request your food to be made with gloves on.. ?
As has been said multiple times, It's more sanitary for food to be made without gloves on.

Also, just in case you didn't know, if a company is going to have their employees wear gloves during food preparation, it tends to be the types of restaurant where food is prepared in front of the consumer.

Example: Subway (they wear new gloves each and every time they prepare a new sandwich).

I work for McDonald's, and we don't wear gloves unless we've hurt our hand and have an open wound/bandage. I don't believe Wendy's employees wear gloves, and Tim Horton's employees definitely don't.

Hair nets are not required by the health board either.

Think about really nice sit-down restaurants, where professional chefs work in the kitchen. They may/may not wear hairnets, but they don't wear gloves because gloves can get in the way and make food preparation more difficult.

I think this thread is a sad commentary on the state of our society's "germophobia"... let's remember that exposure to bacteria and other pathogens is a good thing, because it keeps your immune system in shape.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 07-14-2009 at 10:46 AM   #59
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedspec View Post
the pig is the most avaricious and is the cradle of harmful germs and parasites (Swine Flu).
As far as I'm aware, Swine flu has nothing to do with pigs and pork. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but look it up)

Many rules from the bible were created for the people at the time so they wouldn't eat contaminated meat, and would preserve everything correctly and such. Mostly, IMO, it's out of date! no shrimp and lobster? Come on! I'd die.. hahaha

Alex McColl likes this.
Old 07-14-2009 at 10:49 AM   #60
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
Many rules from the bible were created for the people at the time so they wouldn't eat contaminated meat, and would preserve everything correctly and such. Mostly, IMO, it's out of date! no shrimp and lobster? Come on! I'd die.. hahaha
Exactly what I was thinking. We do have the advent of refrigeration and preservation to get around the problems people thousands of years ago faced with keeping food :p