MacInsiders Logo

glove use at pillers deli???

Old 07-14-2009 at 11:17 AM   #61
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

There have been several instances on this thread where the topic discussed is completely different than the initial topic. Users are supposed to be discussing the sanitation in regards to food prep.

If anyone would like to discuss something different, please start a new thread for it. All should also note that some opinions in this thread have been borderline offensive, and any derogatory comments in regards to religion or sexual orientation are not tolerated at MacInsiders. If anyone has any questions about what is and is not considered appropriate they may consult our terms of service.

If users continue to talk about different subject matter in this thread it will be closed. Thanks!

Danielle Lorenz,
MacInsiders VP Admin

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

daisy says thanks to lorend for this post.

goodnews.inc, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 07-14-2009 at 12:45 PM   #62
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex McColl View Post
Has Mac become so PC that I'm the only one that raises an eyebrow at that?

What a waste of food. Think about it this way, she touched pork before touching your Halal meat. Did she use the same knife to cut your food? Did she prep it on the same cutting board? Did she store it and stock it in the same fridge at the same time?

It's one thing for someone with an Allergy to make them redo something. That's not religious fundamentalism, that's wanting to stay Alive!

Tell me, do you refuse to use hand sanitizer because of the Alcohol? When you get a needle or blood work done, do you let them swab with Alcohol first? Would you refuse treatment at a Hospital because of all the Purel?

Would you shake the hand of a gay man? Sodomy carries the death penalty in Iran, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, UAE, Yemen, Mauritania and Somalia because of Sharia law.

To those of you who are very PC and offended by the culture clash I've unleashed remember that most of the time good things happen when cultures clash:

"In a more culturally confident age, the British in India were faced with the practice of “suttee” — the tradition of burning widows on the funeral pyres of their husbands. Gen. Sir Charles Napier was impeccably multicultural:

“You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: When men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks, and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours.”"

- From the book: How the Scots Invented the Modern World
Dear Mr. McColl,
Since you've taken the time and the dedication to make it a personal responsibility of yourself to inform my peers about my religion, which I assume you do not practice and therefore have limited knowledge of, let me return the favour and do some enlightening of my own.

First of all, I think it is ghastly inappropriate for you to use a public forum to shamelessly interject your own personal views and discriminatory, prejudiced biases. I ask you to refrain from doing this in the future as it does not comply with forum rules of keeping things on topic.

The last time I checked, the serving of meat and the use of sanitary measures had nothing to do with homosexuality nor the individual choices a person makes to declare their sexual orientation NOR the individual choices their companions in society make to accept or reject them.

The last time I checked, the restaurant policies of a university in a relatively small city of Southern Ontario, Canada had nothing to do with colonisation nor the Hindu culture and their treatment of widows**.

The last time I checked, my fellow forum member who originally brought up halal meat never ...actually...used the word Muslim in his description of himself before you put that in and made a massive commotion about it.

If he wants to waste the food, it's his money. He can order 1000 burgers and stomp on them if he so pleases. And if an organization is serving halal meat, or kosher meat, it is their responsibility to know how to serve the meat. Putting it up on the menu without understanding the preparation procedure is ignorance on their part.

Please do not fill up forums with ignorant chatter once more.
It is not only discourteous but greatly immature.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Last edited by goodnews.inc : 07-14-2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Inserted "widows".
Old 07-14-2009 at 12:50 PM   #63
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Bushra, it's not worth answering to any of the above comments. If one chooses to be ignorant and speak with no facts behind these opinions, then let them. Although I agree, the word "mulim" or "islam" was never mentionned to begin with.

Now, ignore all the religion-related topic of discussion and concentrate on the main topic at hand:
-> "Glove use at Piller's Deli"
Old 07-14-2009 at 12:57 PM   #64
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
... Hindu culture and their treatment of windows.
LOL

Sorry, but I just thought that typo was a bit funny :p
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:01 PM   #65
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Bushra, it's not worth answering to any of the above comments. If one chooses to be ignorant and speak with no facts behind these opinions, then let them. Although I agree, the word "mulim" or "islam" was never mentionned to begin with.

Now, ignore all the religion-related topic of discussion and concentrate on the main topic at hand:
-> "Glove use at Piller's Deli"
I personally don't enjoy consuming meat products outside the home and only chicken at home. I'm not sure of the name, it might be Piller's but I was really hungry when attending [email protected] so I ordered something and the lack of gloves did bother me but I also didn't find the chicken cooked enough which was more unappetizing when considering the lack of gloves.

I think though that if the food is cooked well and handed with tongs when placed on your serving tray, the heat would be enough to destroy any bacteria that were transferred as a result of hand to meat contact

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-14-2009 at 01:05 PM   #66
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Definitely agree.. any heat would kill 99.9% of any bacteria on the surface. But at the same time, you can't help but wonder...
I know some people stated that using your hands is better than gloves.. I'm trying to find something on that.. with no luck. But if you were doing it with your own hands that's a different story..
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:06 PM   #67
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

This thread is going to be closed. Obviously no one read the administrator's post requesting this thread get back on topic.
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:09 PM   #68
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
This thread is going to be closed. Obviously no one read the administrator's post requesting this thread get back on topic.
The discussion is going back on topic though, with regards to the sanitation and the use of gloves ?
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:11 PM   #69
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Definitely agree.. any heat would kill 99.9% of any bacteria on the surface. But at the same time, you can't help but wonder...
I know some people stated that using your hands is better than gloves.. I'm trying to find something on that.. with no luck. But if you were doing it with your own hands that's a different story..
I think another concern with gloves is that people might be allergic to the latex they spray on them and some of the non-latex gloves still have a bit of powder on them...(I'm one of both groups of people )

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-14-2009 at 01:12 PM   #70
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
I think another concern with gloves is that people might be allergic to the latex they spray on them and some of the non-latex gloves still have a bit of powder on them...(I'm one of both groups of people )
I believe they use those thin plastic gloves that are pretty big. They look funny anyways.
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:13 PM   #71
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
After making a 2 minute literature search (sorry, but my university experience wins here):

Food worker hand washing practices: An observation study

Source: Journal of Food Protection Volume: 69 Issue: 10 Pages: 2417-2423 Published: OCT 2006

Abstract: Improvement of food worker hand washing practices is critical to the reduction of foodborne illness and is dependent upon a clear understanding of current hand washing practices. To that end, this study collected detailed observational data on food worker hand washing practices. Food workers (n = 321) were observed preparing food, and data were recorded on specific work activities for which hand washing is recommended (e.g., food preparation, handling dirty equipment). Data were also recorded on hand washing behaviors that occurred in conjunction with these work activities. Results indicated that workers engaged in approximately 8.6 work activities per hour for which hand washing is recommended. However, workers made hand washing attempts (i.e., removed gloves, if worn, and placed hands in running water) in only 32% of these activities and washed their hands appropriately (i.e., removed gloves, if worn, placed hands in running water, used soap, and dried hands) in only 27% of these work activities. Attempted and appropriate hand washing rates varied by work activity-they were significantly higher in conjunction with food preparation than other work activities (46 versus <= 37% for attempted band washing; 41 versus <= 30% for appropriate hand washing) and were significantly lower in conjunction with touching the body than other work activities (13 versus >= 27% for attempted hand washing; 10 versus >= 23% for appropriate hand washing). Attempted and appropriate hand washing rates were significantly lower when gloves were worn (18 and 16%) than when gloves were not worn (37 and 30%). These findings suggest that the hand washing practices of food workers need to be improved, glove use may reduce hand washing, and restaurants should consider reorganizing their food preparation activities to reduce the frequency with which hand washing is needed.

I tried to access the full article so I could attach it here (assuming that can be done) but McMaster doesn't subscribe to the Journal of Food Protection

.:callen:., daisy all say thanks to Taunton for this post.

Lois likes this.
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:14 PM   #72
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I believe they use those thin plastic gloves that are pretty big. They look funny anyways.
I applaud the gentlemen and women for being able to touch the meat with their bare hands.
I still can't bear touching raw chicken.
Boneless is a bit easier to handle.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-14-2009 at 01:17 PM   #73
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntobr View Post
After making a 2 minute literature search (sorry, but my university experience wins here):

Food worker hand washing practices: An observation study

Source: Journal of Food Protection Volume: 69 Issue: 10 Pages: 2417-2423 Published: OCT 2006

Abstract: Improvement of food worker hand washing practices is critical to the reduction of foodborne illness and is dependent upon a clear understanding of current hand washing practices. To that end, this study collected detailed observational data on food worker hand washing practices. Food workers (n = 321) were observed preparing food, and data were recorded on specific work activities for which hand washing is recommended (e.g., food preparation, handling dirty equipment). Data were also recorded on hand washing behaviors that occurred in conjunction with these work activities. Results indicated that workers engaged in approximately 8.6 work activities per hour for which hand washing is recommended. However, workers made hand washing attempts (i.e., removed gloves, if worn, and placed hands in running water) in only 32% of these activities and washed their hands appropriately (i.e., removed gloves, if worn, placed hands in running water, used soap, and dried hands) in only 27% of these work activities. Attempted and appropriate hand washing rates varied by work activity-they were significantly higher in conjunction with food preparation than other work activities (46 versus <= 37% for attempted band washing; 41 versus <= 30% for appropriate hand washing) and were significantly lower in conjunction with touching the body than other work activities (13 versus >= 27% for attempted hand washing; 10 versus >= 23% for appropriate hand washing). Attempted and appropriate hand washing rates were significantly lower when gloves were worn (18 and 16%) than when gloves were not worn (37 and 30%). These findings suggest that the hand washing practices of food workers need to be improved, glove use may reduce hand washing, and restaurants should consider reorganizing their food preparation activities to reduce the frequency with which hand washing is needed.

I tried to access the full article so I could attach it here (assuming that can be done) but McMaster doesn't subscribe to the Journal of Food Protection
That reminds me ...I always thought gloves were worn for protection of the chef or worker.

It's funny; I once went to a restaurant in Eaton's where "Hand Washing Procedures" was tacked up quite large next to a bottle of soap and I felt reassured. Then I saw "Conditional Pass" from ..I don't know...the food inspection government agency. It was from two days ago. I nearly died.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-14-2009 at 01:18 PM   #74
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

A preliminary evaluation of the effect of glove use by food handlers in fast food
restaurants

Author(s): Lynch, Robert A. ([email protected]); Phillips, Margaret L.; Elledge, Brenda L.; Hanumanthaiah, Sridhar; Boatright, Daniel T. Source: Journal of Food Protection Volume: 68 Issue: 1Pages: 187-190 Published: January 2005

Abstract: A study was conducted to determine whether the levels of selected microrganisms differed on foods handled by gloved and bare hands at fast food restaurants. Three hundred seventy-one plain flour tortillas were purchased from fast food restaurants and analyzed for Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, Klebsiella sp.. coliform bacteria. and heterotrophic plate count bacteria. Approximately 46% of the samples were handled by workers wearing gloves compared with 52% of samples with bare hand contact. Coliform bacteria were found in 9.6% of samples handled by gloved workers and 4.4%, of samples handled by bare hands, although this difference was not statistically significant. The distribution of heterotrophic plate count bacteria, a general measure of hygiene, was also higher in samples handled by gloved workers in one restaurant chain. The presente of E. coli, Klebsiella sp., and S. aureus was detected in one. two. and eight samples, respectively, and there were no significant differences between samples handled by gloved or bare hands. Neither direct contact of the tortilla with the food preparation surface nor gender of the worker affected the level of any organism tested. The observed tendency of food workers to wear the same pair of gloves for extended periods and complacency might account for the apparent failure of gloves to reduce or prevent bacterial contamination. The results further suggest that glove use might be counterproductive because workers might wash their hands less frequently when gloved.
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:41 PM   #75
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Then I saw "Conditional Pass" from ..I don't know...the food inspection government agency. It was from two days ago. I nearly died.
Yeah, I don't eat at any restaurant that scores Conditional pass or below. That's to say, I don't eat at any place that doesn't have a "Pass".