MacInsiders Logo

glove use at pillers deli???

Old 07-14-2009 at 10:23 PM   #91
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
People should make that a rite of passage.
I wish my mom did that to me =p. Seriously, getting sick is annoying. *kicks immune system*
Old 07-14-2009 at 10:39 PM   #92
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
I wish my mom did that to me =p. Seriously, getting sick is annoying. *kicks immune system*
They should do it like how Achilles was dipped into the river Styx for immortality. Instead it'll be Lake Ontario, that's good enough.
Old 07-14-2009 at 11:19 PM   #93
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

I hear there are dirt pills out there for children who live in a bubble. They can develop an immune system without all the fun of running around in mud and the unsanitary real world! There are SO MANY GERMS in the air!
Old 07-14-2009 at 11:55 PM   #94
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iman View Post
I hear there are dirt pills out there for children who live in a bubble. They can develop an immune system without all the fun of running around in mud and the unsanitary real world! There are SO MANY GERMS in the air!
Dirt pills, wow. Now that's an interesting invention.
Old 07-14-2009 at 11:59 PM   #95
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iman View Post
Wow Dirt pills?! But is dirt really helping the immune system? And how.. it's not like dirt is THAT bad.. otherwise, plants wouldn't survive
Old 07-15-2009 at 12:04 AM   #96
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
But is dirt really helping the immune system?
I guess the idea is to feed weak bacteria to your kid's body so that it builds up immunity.
Old 07-15-2009 at 12:07 AM   #97
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
I guess the idea is to feed weak bacteria to your kid's body so that it builds up immunity.
Weird.. but it's better than nothing, I guess .. I like the rolling your kids in the dirt idea better XD
Old 07-15-2009 at 12:36 AM   #98
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Why not just inject vaccines which are dead bacteria/viruses?
Old 07-15-2009 at 12:38 AM   #99
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Why not just inject vaccines which are dead bacteria/viruses?
I'm not a medicine expert, but it might be because a vaccine is very focused as to what it prevents, while a dirt pill might help improve your immune system across the board?
Old 07-15-2009 at 12:40 AM   #100
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I'm not a medicine expert, but it might be because a vaccine is very focused as to what it prevents, while a dirt pill might help improve your immune system across the board?
Hmm, perhaps the dirt contains dead bacteria. I don't know why you would feed live bacteria to anyone. It seems like a very bad idea.
Old 07-15-2009 at 12:43 AM   #101
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Hmm, perhaps the dirt contains dead bacteria. I don't know why you would feed live bacteria to anyone. It seems like a very bad idea.
Agreed.. at least vaccines are specific. But just throwing dead bacteria into your body with no purpose whatsoever, seems a bit.. Odd?
Old 07-15-2009 at 12:43 AM   #102
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
I was always under the impression that vaccines weren't dead bacteria, but very weakened bacteria. That's why you some people get sick from their flu shots (the weakened bacteria overpowers a weaker immune system).

Although I guess I was wrong.
Old 07-15-2009 at 12:47 AM   #103
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I was always under the impression that vaccines weren't dead bacteria, but very weakened bacteria. That's why you some people get sick from their flu shots (the weakened bacteria overpowers a weaker immune system).

Hmm, I believe that's correct..that they're weakened bacteria/viruses.. according to my doctor anyway XD
Old 07-15-2009 at 12:54 AM   #104
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:

I thought that they were dead... All you need are the markers that the bacteria/virus contain on their outer membrane. I don't see what the purpose of weakened bacteria when dead bacteria would work just as well. But maybe the immune system responds differently to dead bacteria than to live bacteria, I don't know that.
Old 07-15-2009 at 01:02 AM   #105
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

I actually had to look that up. There's Live attenuated, killed, toxoid, and component vaccines.
So some are dead and some are just weakened.

First site in google XD http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,4866,00.html