glove use at pillers deli???

Old 07-15-2009 at 10:02 AM   #121
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Strange, my mom doesn't get the flu shot and she works for a hospital.
I had to before I could volunteer at Sick Kids, and I know tons of other nurses etc that get them during the year.

I think it is standard procedure, but you may be able to opt out, I'm not sure.

Quote:
The problem is that the flu shot only protects against predicted strains of the influenza virus. They've been wrong before.
Plus, the flu can spread through contaminated surfaces.[/quote]

Yup, they're wrong fairly often if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
Plus, the flu can spread through contaminated surfaces.
Heh heh fomites!!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-16-2009 at 03:52 PM   #122
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Dillon - :p more people have died from the regular flu than from swine flu. But, I blame the media more than the government with this issue.
It's funny....a friend of mine is a writer for the Toronto Sun, and his facebook status the other day was "Hamthrax is so overblown -- but I'm stuck in the big smog until August 18 because of it." I was like "I blame you and your co-workers; complain to them"
Old 07-16-2009 at 04:58 PM   #123
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Dillon - :p more people have died from the regular flu than from swine flu. But, I blame the media more than the government with this issue.
*applause*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I had to before I could volunteer at Sick Kids, and I know tons of other nurses etc that get them during the year.
Are you sure this was indeed a flu shot and not a tuberculosis vaccination? I know those are manditory for anyone applying to teacher's college, or who will be in contact with children/teens...the flu shots, I was under the impression, could not be manditory because of conflict or interest, or something like that (basically, some people refuse to get one, and have a right to). I'm not a bio major, but isn't it just last year's strain of flu anyway?
Old 07-16-2009 at 05:04 PM   #124
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
*applause*

Are you sure this was indeed a flu shot and not a tuberculosis vaccination? I know those are manditory for anyone applying to teacher's college, or who will be in contact with children/teens...the flu shots, I was under the impression, could not be manditory because of conflict or interest, or something like that (basically, some people refuse to get one, and have a right to). I'm not a bio major, but isn't it just last year's strain of flu anyway?

Are you talking about the TB Vaccines or the TB test? I know you have to do the TB test in order to volunteer at hospitals, nursing homes, etc...
Old 07-16-2009 at 05:47 PM   #125
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Are you talking about the TB Vaccines or the TB test? I know you have to do the TB test in order to volunteer at hospitals, nursing homes, etc...
Yeah contrary to what I had posted, I meant the TB test. Haha.
Old 07-16-2009 at 07:01 PM   #126
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Flu shot and TB test. I'd like to think I'd know what I was injected with.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-16-2009 at 08:37 PM   #127
Mowicz
Elite Member

No need to get testy I was just asking xD

But 99% of people don't know what they're injected with :p All you know is what you were tooooooold you were injected with...

*conspiracy theories*
Old 07-16-2009 at 08:42 PM   #128
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
No need to get testy I was just asking xD

But 99% of people don't know what they're injected with :p All you know is what you were tooooooold you were injected with...

*conspiracy theories*
LOL yeah there actually are people who actually and truely believe in this conspiracy theory! But it sort of actually makes sense, for example the Elite putting secret serums into the Lower Social Strata! Marxism 101

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 07-16-2009 at 08:47 PM   #129
Mowicz
Elite Member

Haha

I was joking, but only like a half joke...if I received an inoculation, I would know its intended purpose but not really what it is, since I'm not exactly well versed in biology/chemistry (although I did do decently on the MCAT). Someone (I apologize for forgetting who) already mentioned the use of mercury as a preserving agent I think it was...what percentage of the general population do you suppose has access to this knowledge?

I would suspect most people have no idea what's in a vaccine, or any of its potential risks...that's what my point was, delivered as a joke lol

-------------------

I looked into the 'freedom from flu shots' that I was referring to before, since lorend has opposing testemony...and we're both right.

It turns out all health care providers must get an annual flu shot....unless they have an express written refusal which will go on file. So it's moreso that they are very strongly encouraged to receive the shot...but have the option of refusal...or at least they should.

"...society officials insisted they aren't advocating that people receive shots against their will."

"And making somebody sign a piece of paper just puts it higher on the list of the 20 things that these poor overworked health-care workers have to do. It's almost more of a forced education than a forced 'You must take this vaccine.'"

(Source: http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/...flu-shots.html)

Though my source is a bit dated, I now realize...I'll look for a more recent one.

EDIT: Couldn't find one and I got bored already xD

Last edited by Mowicz : 07-16-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-16-2009 at 08:58 PM   #130
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Just wondering - why is it when we get off topic by talking about religion and culture we're "reminded", but when we get off topic talking about inoculations (also NOT about gloves at pillars) it's fine?

I'm really big on open discussion, is all.

.:callen:., Maegs like this.
Old 07-16-2009 at 10:17 PM   #131
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Contrary to what the Ontario Government says, getting a flu shot is kind of silly unless you're immune compromised or elderly.
Agreeeeeeddddd
Old 07-16-2009 at 10:21 PM   #132
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I don't like getting flu shots, because I hate shots in general, but it can be useful. I'm not immune compromised or anything, but perfectly healthy people can catch a flu. I caught it right before exams started and it wasn't nice haha.
Old 07-16-2009 at 10:27 PM   #133
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
Just wondering - why is it when we get off topic by talking about religion and culture we're "reminded", but when we get off topic talking about inoculations (also NOT about gloves at pillars) it's fine?

I'm really big on open discussion, is all.
Because religion and sexual orientation have nothing to do with food preparation. Users also considered the argument very offensive.

I was actually about to re-remind users after I noticed my previous post was contributing to another de-rail.

Soooo once again, unless this conversation can go back to the initial topic it will be closed.

Old 07-16-2009 at 10:42 PM   #134
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Because religion and sexual orientation have nothing to do with food preparation. Users also considered the argument very offensive.
The person that brought up Halal meats and fundamentalism made it religious, not the guy that argued about it. If blame is gonna be cast, cast it in the right direction.

Back on topic, I've never eaten at Pillars, but I have eaten in many restaurants on 3 different continents where the food was prepped by hand with no gloves, and never got sick. As long as the workers are even somewhat hygenic, it shouldn't be an issue to anyone with a working immune system. Of course, The story could be vastly different if someone is immunocomprimised, so "somewhat" doesn't always cut it.
Old 07-16-2009 at 10:56 PM   #135
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:

I was actually about to re-remind users after I noticed my previous post was contributing to another de-rail.

Soooo once again, unless this conversation can go back to the initial topic it will be closed.
Yeah, maybe we should start another thread about the vaccines and such, if discussion is still going