MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
School Of Business (DeGroote School of Business) Chad Academics 58 09-12-2011 10:53 AM
Software/Hardware/Business/Music Guys - want to help start a business? benjs Volunteering Opportunities 2 12-11-2010 09:05 PM
Business Co-op kuruczpa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 09-17-2010 08:16 AM
Mac Business I :D MTK3 Introduce Yourself 5 06-24-2010 01:43 AM
Business I Requirements lawleypop Academics 11 05-31-2010 10:38 PM

what to go into in Business?

Old 12-16-2010 at 09:36 PM   #1
luna

Liked: 10 Times

what to go into in Business?
Can anyone tell me which option is better in terms of future career...accounting, financing, or chartered accountant? I mainly want to the job options for each career and also how quickly you can get a job in any one. Also, if anyone is in business can you tell from your experience which option would be best to consider as a job. Plus if anyone can provide links for info on this that will be great. Thank you in advance.
Old 12-16-2010 at 10:21 PM   #2
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Rank these items in order of importance:

1. Money
2. Family

Then I'll let you know.
Old 12-16-2010 at 10:32 PM   #3
luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Rank these items in order of importance:

1. Money
2. Family

Then I'll let you know.
I guess it'll be...

1. Money
2. Family
Old 12-16-2010 at 11:53 PM   #4
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
I guess it'll be...

1. Money
2. Family
Finance it is.

Investment Banking or Sales & Trading are the high money careers you'd probably want to look at.
Old 12-17-2010 at 12:40 AM   #5
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
I guess it'll be...

1. Money
2. Family
Good girl.
Old 12-17-2010 at 02:06 AM   #6
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Can anyone tell me which option is better in terms of future career...accounting, financing, or chartered accountant? I mainly want to the job options for each career and also how quickly you can get a job in any one. Also, if anyone is in business can you tell from your experience which option would be best to consider as a job. Plus if anyone can provide links for info on this that will be great. Thank you in advance.
Im going to go by your information in your signature. First transferring into the faculty of commerce will require you too have at least an 8 to be competitive. Second, assuming you have not taken any accounting/finance courses you should not be jumping into a career without having experiencing them. The careers that PTGregD suggested are high paying but you truly need to excel in finance/math/economics and maintain at least a 3.7 to remain competitive with students from the top 4 schools. Becoming a Chartered Accountant is also difficult, the exams are hard and a lot of people fail because they either don't study enough or don't excel at accounting. Focus on finding that subject your good at, and passionate about, usually salaries and job security will follow.

p.lau likes this.
Old 12-17-2010 at 03:33 AM   #7
p.lau

Liked: Liked 8 Times

You should check out the Academic Awareness Conference (AAC) happening in January. They bring in speakers from all the different streams of business to share with you how they got to where they are, what steps/tests they took, what their job entails, that sort of thing. Most of their speakers are in accounting and finance, so you could stay afterwards and chat with them to gain some insight!!
Old 12-17-2010 at 05:56 PM   #8
amare

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
Im going to go by your information in your signature. First transferring into the faculty of commerce will require you too have at least an 8 to be competitive. Second, assuming you have not taken any accounting/finance courses you should not be jumping into a career without having experiencing them. The careers that PTGregD suggested are high paying but you truly need to excel in finance/math/economics and maintain at least a 3.7 to remain competitive with students from the top 4 schools. Becoming a Chartered Accountant is also difficult, the exams are hard and a lot of people fail because they either don't study enough or don't excel at accounting. Focus on finding that subject your good at, and passionate about, usually salaries and job security will follow.
Ok now i'm worried about getting into Commerce. How high would my chances of getting in be with a 7.0? Most of the courses i'm taking are really hard (ie. 2 maths and Computer Science) and ive been trying to look for a course that can bump my GPA but I dont know of any...
Old 12-17-2010 at 08:47 PM   #9
luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post

oh im not switching into to business but it's for someone i know who maybe going into it. anyway, thank you for the info. it's really helpful