MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GO Transit ninjamachete First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-20-2010 07:34 AM
Using transit REPLEKIA/. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-09-2010 09:31 PM
GO Transit ID Patrick.O First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 08-28-2010 05:03 PM
GO Transit Help goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-05-2009 08:33 PM
GO Transit ingénieur.xo Automotive & Transportation 14 08-02-2007 08:56 PM

Go Transit

Old 09-11-2008 at 11:23 PM   #16
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmash26 View Post
The trains that the bus from McMaster connects with all go to Whitby.

The Lakeshore West train always becomes the Lakeshore East train expect prior to 0913 during weekdays.

Do not bother going to the downtown terminal. Get off the Hamilton city bus at Dundurn (first stop after passing over the Highway) and walk one block north. Wait in front of the Harvey's.

If you go downtown, you can end up missing a bus. It takes 7 minutes to get downtown on the bus after Dundurn. Walking Dundurn saves you getting downtown 15 minutes after a bus you could have caught.

During the week, ALWAYS take the bus from McMaster if you are getting the train.

NEVER board the trains that go to Hamilton. They will just drop you off downtown and you will be stuck taking a slow city bus to McMaster. When there are trains to Hamilton, you want to get off at Burlington GO station and grab the bus to McMaster from there. AGAIN, NEVER take the train to or from the downtown GO centre unless you live downtown and aren't trying to get from McMaster.

Same thing in the morning. The three trains out of Hamilton GO are the most crowded trains in the GO system. Take the 0540, 0640, or 0745 GO Bus from Keyes and it connects with the train in Burlington/Aldershot which go to Union. Added bonus, you can usually get a seat on the train.

Richmond Hill: during the week, take the bus from McMaster to the train and then switch at Union. If you arrive outside of rush hour, GO operates buses from Union to Richmond Hill.
About waiting at Dundurn, I wouldn't always advise that. Sometimes the bus is so full by that point that you can't get on, or you have to stand up in the cramped aisle for 50-80 minutes, sometimes longer, depending on traffic and whatnot. Last time I went back to Toronto, it took around 2 hours on the bus because of highways closing and stuff.. that extra 7 minutes to Hamilton GO station is worth it in the end I think.
Old 09-12-2008 at 07:04 AM   #17
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

So to get back on campus from the Hamilton GO Station, I can simply take the 51 HSR bus...correct?

Old 09-12-2008 at 08:53 AM   #18
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

Yes, but the 51 University only operates from 8am - 10pm Monday to Friday. During that time GO Transit directly services McMaster. There is no need to go Downtown on the GO and then backtrack.
Old 09-12-2008 at 10:21 AM   #19
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

if you're trying to get to the aldershot station from toronto (by train) it's important to make sure that the train goes all the way through to aldershot - some of them only go to the fairview station in burlington
Old 09-12-2008 at 07:06 PM   #20
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Yes, Maegs is correct. Off-peak hours the GO Bus travels to Aldershot, as the station is teeny tiny. During rush hour it travels to Burlington, by-passing the Aldershot transfer.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-10-2009 at 10:30 PM   #21
plutoz

Liked: 9 Times

Question for anyone who rides the Hwy 407 West GO Bus service into Mac in the mornings.... I live quite near the Burlington Carpool Lot (Dundas St. & Hwy 407) - when the bus gets to this stop is it already jam packed with people?

I understand that not every bus stops at this location...
Old 02-10-2009 at 11:39 PM   #22
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
Does the GO transit operate during weekends? Also, if I am going to Richmond Hill, do I just ride the GO train in Hamilton to Union and just switch to the "F" line northwards towards Richmond Hill? (This is my first time... x.x)
Hamilton and Richmond Hill Trains-buses doesn't work on Sat/Sun.

Even 407 buses don't have service on Sat so Square One won't work.

The only way is to take QEW Express to Toronto Union, then take Stouffville bus to Kennedy and Hwy 7. Then take the YRT/VIVA. IICR, you can take advantage of the GO/YRT transfer and ride the VIVA for $0.5.

Please correct me if you have a better idea.
Old 02-11-2009 at 07:17 AM   #23
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

It depends on when in the morning and on what day...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-11-2009 at 01:12 PM   #24
plutoz

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
It depends on when in the morning and on what day...
I assume you were responding to my question about the 407 West GO Bus...? Granted each day/time is different, I would be referring to any weekday, on any of the buses arriving at Mac between 8:30-9:30am that stop at this location (Burlington Carpool Lot) - I believe there are 4 of them scheduled. Do I have any hope of finding a seat if I get on there?
Old 02-11-2009 at 01:38 PM   #25
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

The closer you are to class time I'd say the more likely you would not be able to get a seat.