MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GO Transit Student ID Card jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 72 09-07-2010 11:06 PM
Using Summer student card as Bus pass confusion... goldfish101 Automotive & Transportation 2 05-01-2010 10:03 PM
McMaster Student Card = GO Transit Student ID (2009) goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 10 09-01-2009 01:55 PM
HSR Summer Student Pass HeatherH General Discussion 5 04-26-2009 02:32 PM

GO Transit Student Pass

Old 07-27-2009 at 01:43 AM   #16
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Thanks Feona.

If I can't pick it up on the Thursday, can i pick it up any day after?
Old 07-27-2009 at 01:45 AM   #17
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Thanks Feona.

If I can't pick up on the Thursday, can i pick it up any day after?
Yup! You can pick it up any day afterwards. I'm sure August... 6th is too early for you, so I guess you could pick it up on Welcome Day if you're there. :]

Jake says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 07-27-2009 at 01:45 AM   #18
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Alright, thanks a lot.
Old 07-27-2009 at 10:07 AM   #19
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Having worked at Compass for two years, the card SHOULD be ready the Thursday after you apply. However sometimes there is a backlog with many people applying (if 3000 people apply in a week for example) as well as sometimes technical issues so although the cards usually get there, sometimes they are late.

Also, they usually came to the desk in the late morning or afternoon sometime, so you're usually better to pick up later in the day on a Thursday in a school year than early in the morning.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Jake says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 07-30-2009 at 04:15 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I believe you can only apply 1 month before school starts, hence August 10th.

I can't believe they keep the cards on hand for such a long time. I applied in August and I think I picked up my card in... november? Somewhere around that.
Old 07-30-2009 at 06:09 PM   #21
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

Liked: 32 Times

Also, make sure you read any signs about WHERE to pick your GO ID up

last year, they were in MDCL until 4pm. I can't count the number of people who stood in line at Compass trying to pick their card up, just so I could tell them the cards were in another building.
Old 07-30-2009 at 07:01 PM   #22
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yes, READ THE SIGNS.

There are at least two. They're there to be read.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-30-2009 at 08:56 PM   #23
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

You can actually apply for the GO Transit ID card starting August 1.

A tip for incoming first years: If you are planning to attend the welcome day, I would recommend to apply to the GO ID card ASAP, and you can pick it up on the Welcome day from Compass. Thats what I did last year. That way, you dont have to stand in those huge lineups during the school year in September. As you probably dont have your Mcmaster Student ID card yet, make sure you take any photo ID with you when you go to pickup your GO transit ID card.
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:22 PM   #24
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I don't understand the whole process for applying =S. Where do I pick up the forms and such. The site is pretty confusing as well >.<. I would also like to do it before school starts, to avoid the line-ups and chaos!
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:29 PM   #25
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

Ignore this.. I gave the wrong advice.. read below instead.

Last edited by KRan : 07-30-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:32 PM   #26
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I don't understand the whole process for applying =S. Where do I pick up the forms and such. The site is pretty confusing as well >.<. I would also like to do it before school starts, to avoid the line-ups and chaos!
Wow I just realized they have changed the whole application process now. It used to be so much easier before, when you could directly apply on Mugsi (and it took like 30 seconds to apply) and the card was ready the Thursday after you apply:

Starting this year, you have to follow these steps to get your GO ID card: Source: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/servicesa...OStudentID.htm
Effective August 1, 2009, students must go to the Registrar’s Office (GH-108) to pick up an application form. They must have an authorized official at their school (Registrar’s Office) sign the completed application form, and then they may take it directly to GO Transit’s Union Station for on-the-spot processing. Or, if preferred, they may send or deliver it along with a self-addressed stamped envelope to GO’s Union Station Customer Service Centre for processing. Please allow four to six weeks for processing. Cards may also be picked up from the Customer Service Centre.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to saukalra for this post.
Old 07-30-2009 at 11:29 PM   #27
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Oh My, they choose this year to complicate it :(. Thanks saukalra! I guess I have to pick it up on Welcome Day or asap! Thanks again
Old 07-31-2009 at 01:40 AM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by saukalra View Post
Wow I just realized they have changed the whole application process now. It used to be so much easier before, when you could directly apply on Mugsi (and it took like 30 seconds to apply) and the card was ready the Thursday after you apply:

Starting this year, you have to follow these steps to get your GO ID card: Source: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/servicesa...OStudentID.htm
Effective August 1, 2009, students must go to the Registrar’s Office (GH-108) to pick up an application form. They must have an authorized official at their school (Registrar’s Office) sign the completed application form, and then they may take it directly to GO Transit’s Union Station for on-the-spot processing. Or, if preferred, they may send or deliver it along with a self-addressed stamped envelope to GO’s Union Station Customer Service Centre for processing. Please allow four to six weeks for processing. Cards may also be picked up from the Customer Service Centre.
WHAT?! Why did they change it?! *sigh* Atleast I live close to Union Station. Is the Registrar's office open on weekends? I should drop by and pick it up when I bring stuff to my house in August.
Old 07-31-2009 at 05:08 AM   #29
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

At least get a 10-pass, you can't buy on the bus
The McMaster GO terminal is the only one in the system in which you cannot buy tickets from the drivers or a machine during the day.

When the terminal was built, the McMaster Students Union fought to stop GO Transit from installing a ticket machine. They also fought, and won, to stop drivers from selling tickets.

It's extremely annoying because the line-ups at Compass are always long and sometimes I want to take a last minute trip.

I'm usually able to get the driver to sell to me using my business card to claim I'm not a student, but sometimes they won't.

As such, I now own 10 passes for the different destinations. I made a point of purchasing them at Union station to stop the MSU from profits from inconviencing me and other students.

In short, buy your tickets in advance and make sure to have 10 passes at least.
Old 07-31-2009 at 09:25 AM   #30
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
WHAT?! Why did they change it?! *sigh* Atleast I live close to Union Station. Is the Registrar's office open on weekends? I should drop by and pick it up when I bring stuff to my house in August.
Compass/ACT had heard rumours last year that GO was going to implement a new system, but weren't sure how it would affect students.

Well, here it is.

If I'm not mistaken this is the same system that other schools use as well...it's just unfortunate that unlike York or UofT when school is in session for Mac students Union isn't exactly a close destination.

Ugh. Lame.