MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GO Transit Student ID Card jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 72 09-07-2010 11:06 PM
Using Summer student card as Bus pass confusion... goldfish101 Automotive & Transportation 2 05-01-2010 10:03 PM
McMaster Student Card = GO Transit Student ID (2009) goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 10 09-01-2009 01:55 PM
HSR Summer Student Pass HeatherH General Discussion 5 04-26-2009 02:32 PM

GO Transit Student Pass

Old 07-31-2009 at 09:47 AM   #31
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by saukalra View Post
...Effective August 1, 2009, students must go to the Registrar’s Office (GH-108) to pick up an application form. They must have an authorized official at their school (Registrar’s Office) sign the completed application form...
WHAT?! Ugh.

Since I live out of province and I won't be in town until September, is it possible for the people at the Registrar's Office to have the form authorized and then mail it over so I can fill out the form? Simply because I don't want to go to Hamilton first to pick it up, then go to Toronto to get it processed, and then go back to Hamilton. Waste of a trip.
Old 07-31-2009 at 10:05 AM   #32
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Contact the Registrar's Office and see what they say.

If not, if you have any friends at Mac ask and see if they can fill out the form for you in advance.

------

Personally, I think this is a very ineffective system. It's just going to piss off the people in the Registrar's Office off more than normal.

But GO doesn't really care about that kind of thing. They just want $$

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-31-2009 at 01:39 PM   #33
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Just a question, the whole Student ID thing is only used if they ask for it or to show your ticket, correct? Or do you need it to buy the tickets too :(. I really don't want to spend $20 on going to Mac on Welcome day!
Old 07-31-2009 at 01:43 PM   #34
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Just a question, the whole Student ID thing is only used if they ask for it or to show your ticket, correct? Or do you need it to buy the tickets too :(. I really don't want to spend $20 on going to Mac on Welcome day!
I believe they only ID you when you buy your tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Compass/ACT had heard rumours last year that GO was going to implement a new system, but weren't sure how it would affect students.

Well, here it is.

If I'm not mistaken this is the same system that other schools use as well...it's just unfortunate that unlike York or UofT when school is in session for Mac students Union isn't exactly a close destination.

Ugh. Lame.
Yeah, very inconvenient. I'm assuming they don't have a machine at the Hamilton Go Station?
Old 07-31-2009 at 01:59 PM   #35
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

I believe if they ever ask for the pass on the bus and you don't have it you can get a hefty fine.
Old 07-31-2009 at 02:06 PM   #36
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I believe if they ever ask for the pass on the bus and you don't have it you can get a hefty fine.
They ID on the buses and trains. You must have your GO card on you or you get fined on the train

jhan523 says thanks to fullsmash26 for this post.
Old 08-03-2009 at 05:03 PM   #37
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

Mac doesn't charge anything for the Go Student ID, right?
Old 08-03-2009 at 05:54 PM   #38
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
Mac doesn't charge anything for the Go Student ID, right?
Yup thats right.

tiger says thanks to saukalra for this post.
Old 08-03-2009 at 07:42 PM   #39
NickAcc

Liked: 2 Times

do you only get fined if you get caught on the train or the bus without your student card and GO student id if your ticket is on with the 10-30% discount? if thats the case are you able to buy regular bus/train tickets from compass?

Old 08-03-2009 at 07:48 PM   #40
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Personally, every time I rode the GO train and bus I was never asked for the student ID at all. They just take the ticket and stamp it or whatever and that's about it.

Old 08-03-2009 at 08:06 PM   #41
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAcc View Post
do you only get fined if you get caught on the train or the bus without your student card and GO student id if your ticket is on with the 10-30% discount? if thats the case are you able to buy regular bus/train tickets from compass?
You can buy adult tickets from compass and then you dont have to worry about the GO ID card. But I still feel thats its worth it to get the GO ID card and buy the student tickets, especially if you'll be using GO Transit on regular basis.
Also note that the student discount is only on ten ride tickets and monthly passes. The discount is not valid for single or two ride tickets.

NickAcc, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to saukalra for this post.
Old 08-03-2009 at 08:13 PM   #42
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by u.yousaf View Post
Personally, every time I rode the GO train and bus I was never asked for the student ID at all. They just take the ticket and stamp it or whatever and that's about it.
The buses going to and from square one to mac (the 47) do not ask for your GO student card on a regular basis.
However, I have been asked for it. I think in total 3 times.
Old 08-03-2009 at 08:53 PM   #43
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

I read somewhere on the site that if you're a highschool student, your ID for the year is valid till Oct 31 of the next school year. Ie/ I was in grade 12 in 08/09, so I can use my school card until October of this year! THat's for those of you going into first year who were worrying about having to buy adult tickets.. I was at least
Old 08-04-2009 at 01:51 PM   #44
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I read somewhere on the site that if you're a highschool student, your ID for the year is valid till Oct 31 of the next school year. Ie/ I was in grade 12 in 08/09, so I can use my school card until October of this year! THat's for those of you going into first year who were worrying about having to buy adult tickets.. I was at least
You got a GO ID card in highschool? o.O
Old 08-04-2009 at 02:29 PM   #45
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You got a GO ID card in highschool? o.O
Oh no, for high school students, you use your school card.