MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Science First Year ChrisKam First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-27-2012 01:20 PM
1st Year Life Science macnoob First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-25-2012 10:40 PM
First year Life Science luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-12-2010 12:55 AM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM
Second Year Life Science kmer Academics 8 06-24-2009 12:37 PM

Going into first year life science, need help with some course please

Old 06-01-2014 at 12:04 PM   #1
Ngluding

Liked: 4 Times

Going into first year life science, need help with some course please
So I'm going into first year life science and I have starting snooping around for what each courses are and what I need for my future plans. I am thinking of either transferring to health science next year or do biochem or molecular genetics. Yes my ultimate goal is to get become a physician but I am not tunnel visioned and have other plans if that doesn't plan doesn't work out. I would like to pursue grad school and try again at med school, if that doesn't work out then try to find a good job and if I can't then try to get a phd. Well that my plan as of now, it is not curved on stone and is still malleable. (thats my quick into )

Now my questions, between the two maths, Math 1A03 and 1LS3. I have read a lot of stuff on it and I have figured out that 1LS3 is the easier one out of two, I don't mind taking 1A03 as math is not my weak point but do i really need to take it if i want to transfer to health science next year or do biochem or molecular genetics and also i heard for mcat there really isn't a lot of math and 1A03 is not really needed for prep.

Another thing is between the Physics 1B03 and 1L03. I have noticed that a lot people said that 1B03 really helps for mcat and 1L03 is just to easy and not challenging, but in my case i have not taken physics in high school so I probably need to take 1L03(right?). I was thinking of 1L03 first sem and 1B03 next sem. What do you guys think

I have another question on Psychology 1X03, 1XX3. I heard that 1XX3 is more science than 1X03. Which one do you think is easier, which one do you think is more interesting.

Last question should i take physical science, do i need it for mcat. If yes then should I take it next year because it might be to much for this year.

Lastly any recommendation for electives. Something that is easy yet interesting, and I know my interest differs from yours but Im just curious on your guys input.

Thanks guys!
Im sorry Im asking so much questions I just want to be prepared. Some of my friends that are in uni have said that they made their first year to hard and this hindered there GPA. (first post btw O_O)
Old 06-01-2014 at 12:20 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Not sure about life sci but on the fact of psych. Some people thought it was a breeze course with no effort required. I hear it is an easy course but there are readings and essays you needa do. If that's not your flavour then take another elective (assuming psych is an elective). Other common easy electives are econ 1b03/1bb3
Old 06-01-2014 at 12:24 PM   #3
Ngluding

Liked: 4 Times

oh you have to take Psychology 1X03 or 1XX3 (both or just one). Its mandatory for life science.
Old 06-01-2014 at 04:02 PM   #4
bradyr

Liked: 10 Times

Math 1LS3 should be fine, a lot of Life Science students take it over Math 1A03.

Physics 1B03 I would recommend to take in summer school. Without Physics 1B03 during the year, you can easily spend more time on your other courses and focus on doing well on them. Because 1B03 requires a lot of time and focus, something that is hard to do if you have 4 other courses to worry about. Not only will you be able to dedicate more time to Physics 1B03 in the summer, you'll also have that spare time to spend on your other courses throughout the year. First year is definitely easy to do well in, granted you put the time in, and without Physics 1B03, it should go well.

Alomar12 likes this.
Old 06-01-2014 at 04:37 PM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

take math 1ls3. its easier and is all thats needed for professional schools beyond undergrad. take physics 1b03 if youre confident in physics or take it in 2nd term when it is historically easier with a higher avg. psych 1x03 will be your hardest 1st year course most likely. it takes a lot of time. dont listen to the first post since that is completely wrong by leeko
Old 06-01-2014 at 07:00 PM   #6
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Gotta love bs when people say course X is 'a breeze' or course Y 'is hard as shit!'. Don't give crap advice like this to people.

Generally, the first year psych courses (from what I have heard from people and read online) are definitely not easy. As for physics or math, I have no idea so I'm not going to give out advice on those.
Old 06-01-2014 at 07:36 PM   #7
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngluding View Post
So I'm going into first year life science and I have starting snooping around for what each courses are and what I need for my future plans. I am thinking of either transferring to health science next year or do biochem or molecular genetics. Yes my ultimate goal is to get become a physician but I am not tunnel visioned and have other plans if that doesn't plan doesn't work out. I would like to pursue grad school and try again at med school, if that doesn't work out then try to find a good job and if I can't then try to get a phd. Well that my plan as of now, it is not curved on stone and is still malleable. (thats my quick into )

Now my questions, between the two maths, Math 1A03 and 1LS3. I have read a lot of stuff on it and I have figured out that 1LS3 is the easier one out of two, I don't mind taking 1A03 as math is not my weak point but do i really need to take it if i want to transfer to health science next year or do biochem or molecular genetics and also i heard for mcat there really isn't a lot of math and 1A03 is not really needed for prep.

Another thing is between the Physics 1B03 and 1L03. I have noticed that a lot people said that 1B03 really helps for mcat and 1L03 is just to easy and not challenging, but in my case i have not taken physics in high school so I probably need to take 1L03(right?). I was thinking of 1L03 first sem and 1B03 next sem. What do you guys think

I have another question on Psychology 1X03, 1XX3. I heard that 1XX3 is more science than 1X03. Which one do you think is easier, which one do you think is more interesting.

Last question should i take physical science, do i need it for mcat. If yes then should I take it next year because it might be to much for this year.

Lastly any recommendation for electives. Something that is easy yet interesting, and I know my interest differs from yours but Im just curious on your guys input.

Thanks guys!
Im sorry Im asking so much questions I just want to be prepared. Some of my friends that are in uni have said that they made their first year to hard and this hindered there GPA. (first post btw O_O)
Psych 1XX3 is definitely more sciency and more interesting, and in my opinion, easier. Psych 1x03 is not an easy course, the wordings on the quizzes can be ambiguous and subjective. I STRONGLY recommend you do 1X03 and 1xx3 quizzes with a group of friends!! Take 1LS3 for math, it is easier. Physics 1B03 is not very hard in my opinion, but most people find it challenging. I suggest you take orgo in the summer and just get 1B03 over with 2nd term. MCAT tests on 1st year physics, 1st and 2nd year chemistry and 1st and 2nd year biology. you can take natural disasters, I personally find that course interesting and easy. Or take economics (I do not find this interesting at all, but it is easy). Good luck in your 1st year
Old 06-01-2014 at 07:49 PM   #8
Danielrus

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggggg View Post
Psych 1XX3 is definitely more sciency and more interesting, and in my opinion, easier. Psych 1x03 is not an easy course, the wordings on the quizzes can be ambiguous and subjective. I STRONGLY recommend you do 1X03 and 1xx3 quizzes with a group of friends!! Take 1LS3 for math, it is easier. Physics 1B03 is not very hard in my opinion, but most people find it challenging. I suggest you take orgo in the summer and just get 1B03 over with 2nd term. MCAT tests on 1st year physics, 1st and 2nd year chemistry and 1st and 2nd year biology. you can take natural disasters, I personally find that course interesting and easy. Or take economics (I do not find this interesting at all, but it is easy). Good luck in your 1st year
as of next year it also tests first year psych (1x03 equivalent), sociology and biochemistry
Old 06-07-2014 at 06:02 PM   #9
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

okay so you have to take Psych 1x03 before you can take psych 1xx3 and BOTH are prerequisites for future psych courses (there are some really interesting 2nd and 3rd year courses that are much more interesting than the intro psych ones)

Math.. just take 1LS3 if you don't need it for anything specific! It serves as a prerequisite for most classes you will ever need math in.

As for Physics, yes you need to take 1L03 if you didn't take high school physics (like me) but for MOST programs you don't actually have to take Physics 1B03 until the end of SECOND YEAR (or whenever you want if you are just doing it for med school)... 1B03 IS a more challenging course so I would definitely recommend taking it in the summer or in 2nd year, esp if you want to have a competitive average to switch into Health Sci.

An elective I would recommend to you is HLTH SCI 1G03 ---Psychobiology. YES it is a health sci course so you would get to experience what it is like being in that program, but you are able to take it as an elective from Life Sci (what I did)

Also, the MCAT is just changing this year so things that may have been required in the past... may have changed so if I were you I would look into that to see what you need.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Old 06-08-2014 at 08:27 PM   #10
BilluRises

Liked: 3 Times

definetly take Physics 1b03 with Dr.Hughes