MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Science co-op third year? LBJ.MVP Academics 5 06-13-2010 03:05 PM
life science 2nd year programs kwyhan Academics 7 06-11-2010 07:22 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM
Second Year Life Science kmer Academics 8 06-24-2009 12:37 PM
First Year Life Science randomness First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-14-2008 05:43 PM

First year Life Science

Old 06-30-2010 at 01:19 PM   #1
luna

Liked: 10 Times

First year Life Science
Hi. Im taking life sciences at mac.

The courses that I have picked so far are:

BIO 1A03, 1M03
CHEM 1A03, 1AA3
MATH 1LS03
PSYCH 1X03, 1XX3
PHYSICS 1L03
HLTH AGE 1AA3
ENGLISH 1A03

the problem is that i didn't take physics in high school at all because math and physics are both my weaknesses. so, i took physics 1l03 now and am planning to take 1b03 in year two of life sciences. but im not sure if i should do this or just take physics 1l03 first semester and get over 1b03 second semester since first year of university doesn't count towards any professional school. and i was thinking of dropping english to do that. but i really don't know if i should that because im afraid of having two physics since i have never taken in before and am worried that it may lower my gpa. can someone give me some advice as to what i can do here?

the other problem is that i can't decide if whether to take english or economics as electives because i've heard from a lot of people that it's easier to have a 12 gpa in economics but i really like english. can someone tell me how the english 1a03 and economics courses are in terms of work load and gpa.

thank you in advance!!
Old 06-30-2010 at 01:33 PM   #2
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Did you not even take Grade 11 Physics? Physics 1L03 will be about the same as taking high-school physics, and should generally prepare you well enough for Physics 1B03. It really is up to you about taking 1B03 in second year. I do know a few people who are doing this. If you work hard at physics, it doesn't have to be a GPA killer!
Old 06-30-2010 at 01:51 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Are you planning on continuing in Life Science? Or do you want to specialize? Some specializations require phys1B03 to be completed by the end of level 2, but you'll have to take it as one of your electives, which can cause problems. If you're thinking of going into a specialization that doesn't give you lots of elective space, I'd recommend doing it in first year. Don't worry about it being a GPA killer--whether you take it in first year or second year, it will still affect your cumulative average in the same way. Also, it might be easier to take 1B03 in first year, since 1L03 will be fresh in your mind (you won't worry about forgetting the stuff you learned) and you'll have more time to devote to it, since first-year courses are generally easier than second-year courses. Taking 1B03 in the summer is another option.

Also, the first year of university DOES count towards professional school, especially since many of the prerequisite courses are first-year courses. Optometry school, for example, requires a full year of first-year physics with a lab...so they'd definitely look at your physics mark. You tend to apply to professional school at the end of first/second year to start in second/third year. Regardless of when you apply, they look at your overall GPA...I've never heard of a professional school ignoring first-year courses completely. Grad school is different--I think they only look at years 3+4, depending on the school/program.

If you really like english, much more than economics, then take it! Interest plays a huge role in your grade...if you like the subject, you're more willing to put time/effort into it, and thus will get a better grade without it seeming like that much work. If you hate the subject, you'll put off doing any work for it (instead doing work for other classes), and thus will get a lower mark. Don't let the fear of a low mark stop you from taking a course you're really interested in!

Biochem47, luna all say thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 06-30-2010 at 01:52 PM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Where did you hear that first year of university doesn't count? I ask because I've been reviewing many graduate school admission requirements this week and your grades definitely count in almost all of them, except for a select few who take your two "best years". But in that case, your first year would count even more because its the closest thing to high school you will ever have at university and it seems natural to assume that higher years would be more difficult. (I.e. You'd have a better chance at making your first year one of your "two best" rather than your third year, let's say)

As well for many grad schools, the prerequisites include first year courses or...courses that you will need first year courses for.
What graduate schools are you considering applying to?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-12-2010 at 12:22 AM   #5
strawbrryjam

Liked: 0 Times

should i take psych1xx3 for the first year? or should i leave it for summer school? is it available during summer? I'm not planning to continue in psychology. soooo is it a good choice to keep it? I heard that the presentations and group essays are marked uneasy in the psych courses...

if i leave it.. wat is a good elective to take? :O~
Old 07-12-2010 at 12:36 AM   #6
TheMist

Liked: 3 Times

Hey, if you want to know the availability of courses during ALL terms (i.e. 1, 2 and 3), visit this link:

https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt

It's undergraduate master timetable search. Enjoy
Old 07-12-2010 at 12:55 AM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

By the way, you won't know the summer school courses until March.