MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year Life Science luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-12-2010 12:55 AM
Life Science co-op third year? LBJ.MVP Academics 5 06-13-2010 03:05 PM
life science 2nd year programs kwyhan Academics 7 06-11-2010 07:22 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM
First Year Life Science randomness First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-14-2008 05:43 PM

Second Year Life Science

Old 06-24-2009 at 01:21 AM   #1
kmer

Liked: 1 Time

Second Year Life Science
Hey, I am just a little confused and lost.

This year unfortunately i didn't qualify/make it into the program that I wanted; BIOCHEM Honors

In third year I plan to (hopefully) apply for either Biochem Honors or The Coop program for Biology and Pharm.

Presently I am in Life Science major, and on the registrar I am instructed to take the following courses;

Levels II-IV: 90 units (REQUIREMENTS FOR STUDENTS WHO ENTER IN SEPTEMBER 2009)

3 unitsLIFE SCI 2A039 unitsfrom LIFE SCI 2B03, 2C03, 2D03, 2EE3, 2F03, 2H036 unitsfrom LIFE SCI 3A03, 3B03, 3C03, 3D0336 units from the Honours Life Sciences Course List, of which at least 18 units must be Levels III, IV0-3 units from BIOLOGY 1A03, 1M03 (or 1AA3), PSYCH 1X03 (or 1AA3), 1XX3 (or 1A03) if not completed in Level I (See Admission Note 1 above.) 0-3 units from PHYSICS 1B03, 1L03 if not completed in Level I (See Admission Note 2 above.)30-36 units Electives
_____________________ _____________________ _____________________ _

My question is; To fufill the requirements for level two life science courses i must take, I cannot take all the required course for the biochem/coop bio + pharm....Any suggestions?

I also have the option of registring under an Honors Bio...
Old 06-24-2009 at 01:36 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

It's possible. You don't need to complete all the second year courses in second year. You can always take second year courses in third year.

So what you do is take some required courses to complete the life science degree (or bio, which ever you decide) and take some required courses to shadow biochem.

I think all you need is a high enough average to enter into Level III Biochem. My method is playing it safe. If you don't get in, then your Biochem courses will go towards your electives. If you do get in the your life science courses will go towards your electives. (You'll have to finish the rest of the required level II courses for either program depending if you get in or not. Make sure the level II courses you do take are prerequisites for level III required courses. If it's not a prerequisite don't take it. The logic behind this is that you'll be able to take Level III and level II courses in the Level III program. That way you probably don't have to take summer school, or minimal summer school will be required, and you don't have to come back another year in the end)

You could of course risk it and just completely shadow Biochem, but if you don't get in you'll probably very little electives left and you'll have to pack in all your required courses for the next 2 years.

Note: You have to get prerequisite waivers for the Biochem courses.

kmer says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-24-2009 at 01:49 AM   #3
kmer

Liked: 1 Time

Hey! Thankyou soo much!

I just have two more questions

1) Basically ive concluded that I will easier to shadow the coop-program if I follow the bio program; its just in this situation I would not have any biochem courses
my line up so far is:

1) STATS 2B03
2) BIOLOGY 2C03
3) BIOLOGY 2A03
4) BIOLOGY 2B03
5) BIOLOGY 2EE3
6) CHEM 2OA3
7) CHEM 2OBA3
and of course Science 2C00

This way I have the requirements for both the H. Bio and Coop program.
The only thing that would suffer would be the H. BioChem, but im assuming that I could take the level two programs throughout summerschool to catch up

2) What is a prerequisite waiver for the Biochem Course?

Thankyou sooMuch!
Old 06-24-2009 at 02:08 AM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

You'll have to decide which program you want to go into. Either Biochem or the Bio Co-op.

You should also keep in mind that going into the Bio Co-op would be easier. It's actually a Level III entry program. So there would be more space to enter Bio Co-op than Biochem (since Biochem already accepted students into their program in Level II). (Note: Not necessarily true, but it's probably the case)

A prerequisite waiver is given by the professor in order for you to be able to take the course. Since only certian programs can take the Biochem courses, in order to shadow and take these courses, you'll have to explain why you should be allowed to take the course and that you are ready for the course and will commit 100% to succeeding.

I would suggest going into the Co-op, as it's easier. But I am not one to decide. It's your choice. What interests you the most? What do you want to study? It's possible to get into the Biochem program, but hard-work and dedication is required as well as thoughtful planning.

If you need help trying to get into the Biochem program, I'm very sure an academic adviser would be more qualified. They have probably seen these before and can easily help you.

FJEAN, kmer all say thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-24-2009 at 10:59 AM   #5
jangh2

Liked: 0 Times

biochem for life science
I am going into Honours Life Sciences 2nd year and want to take biochemistry courses BIOCHEM 2B03 and 2BB3. But one of the prerequisite requirements is that the students has to be registered in Honours Biochemistry, Honours Chemical Biology or Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics. I need to take the biochem courses to get into dentistry school.. so is there any way for me to take those courses?
Old 06-24-2009 at 11:13 AM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

You can e-mail the professor explaining why you need to take the course. Hopefully you can get a prerequisite waiver.
Old 06-24-2009 at 11:16 AM   #7
jangh2

Liked: 0 Times

How do you know which professor is teaching the course?
and do u know how long it'd take for me to be the waiver?
and should i register for the courses on solar tomorrow before i get the waiver? or no

Thanks
Old 06-24-2009 at 11:21 AM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Biochem 2B03 is J. Nodwell and Y. Li
Biochem 2BB3 is M. Junop

You won't be able to register because you'll fail the prerequisite. I don't know how long it takes to get a waiver, I guess it depends on the professor.

jangh2 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-24-2009 at 12:37 PM   #9
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
biochem for life science
I am going into Honours Life Sciences 2nd year and want to take biochemistry courses BIOCHEM 2B03 and 2BB3. But one of the prerequisite requirements is that the students has to be registered in Honours Biochemistry, Honours Chemical Biology or Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics. I need to take the biochem courses to get into dentistry school.. so is there any way for me to take those courses?
I'm on the Schulich website and here are the prereqs: http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/Dentistry...s.course. pdf

"An introduction to biochemistry with emphasis on protein structure and function, intermediary metabolism and nucleic acid structure
and function. " You can probably take Biochem 2EE3 and Biochem 3G03 as biochem courses. Try calling and see if they're approved prerequisites.

Last edited by Lij : 06-24-2009 at 12:41 PM.