MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Golden Key International Honour Society - Information howea MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-15-2013 03:29 PM
Golden Key International Honour Society 2013-14 howea Academics 2 06-12-2013 08:19 PM
Golden Key Society nerual Academics 39 08-28-2010 01:55 PM
Golden Key International Honour Society feonateresa Financial Aid 66 09-03-2009 09:06 AM
Golden Key Society thejason Clubs & Groups 2 10-02-2006 08:37 PM

Golden Key International Honour Society: Have You Been Invited? Read More!!

Old 08-15-2013 at 03:42 PM   #1
howea

Liked: 0 Times

Golden Key International Honour Society: Have You Been Invited? Read More!!
Hello!
My name is Adam Howe, and I am the VP Communications for the McMaster chapter of the Golden Key International Honour Society for the 2013-2014 academic year. It is my job to ensure that all current and prospective members have an open and efficient mode of communication – to introduce YOU to the Golden Key International Honour Society, to answer any questions that you may have, and to help all members keep up with what our chapter is doing! Please take a moment and review this post to familiarize yourself with Golden Key, and our chapter. Feel free to reply with any questions, concerns or comments! We look forward to hearing from you!

What IS the Golden Key International Honour Society?
Golden Key (GK) is an international honour society, originally founded by Jim Lewis on November 29, 1977 at Georgia State University. Since then, the society has grown to more than 400 chapters at colleges and universities around the world, with a membership of over 2 million.

Since being founded in 1998 the McMaster chapter of the Golden Key Society has accepted more than 6900 members, and is one of the largest chapters in Canada with an average of over 1000 members currently at McMaster in any given year.

What does Golden Key DO?
Our members focus on community service, networking events, and reaching out to make connections with the local community and the entire university student body. We believe in excellence and strive to provide the best environment possible for guiding our members to achieve in the three pillars of Golden Key success: Academics, Leadership and Service.

Golden Key promotes achievement in many ways, including scholarships, international student laureate programs, discounts on grad school prep courses, unique job and internship opportunities, and access to a number of different summits and conferences.

What can Golden Key do FOR ME?
The Golden Key Society offers invaluable opportunities to all of its members; however, you will get the most out of your membership by taking advantage of these opportunities! The McMaster chapter urges all members to become active on our campus and in our community. Get Inspired and Get Involved in the programs and projects put on by Golden Key, or suggest your own ideas! The more you put in to Golden Key, the more you will get back. Contact us to see how you can get involved!

I’ve received an invitation; now what?
If you have received an invitation in the mail from the Golden Key International Honour Society, first of all: Congratulations! Our society welcomes prospective members who are in the top 15% of their class, and your hard work has propelled you into this percentile.

McMaster University has recognized you for your outstanding academic performance, qualifying you for this exclusive and time-limited invitation to become a member, with full benefits and privileges. This places you among a select group of individuals from around the world, eligible to join a community of high-achieving individuals like yourself, with access to exclusive scholarship, networking and career opportunities, plus a host of other benefits.

Why do I have to pay to join?
New members have to pay a one-time fee to join Golden Key, which ensures that you will be a lifetime member with access to many amazing opportunities available only through Golden Key. There are absolutely no further financial obligations expected from members. This one-time fee helps fund many things such as: invitations and other print media, scholarships, and administration.

We urge you to follow the instructions included with your invitation, and join now! Membership invitations are only open for a limited time. Full access to membership benefits is immediate upon confirmation of your acceptance.

How can I learn more?
Contact anyone from our Officers and Advisors at McMaster
Visit our chapter website
Visit our Facebook page
Follow us on Twitter
Old 08-15-2013 at 03:44 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

To answer your question in the subject title, yes I've been invited for the last two years.

howea says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.
Old 08-15-2013 at 03:47 PM   #3
howea

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
To answer your question in the subject title, yes I've been invited for the last two years.
That's great! You've clearly worked very hard to get to where you are
Old 08-15-2013 at 05:18 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Why do we have so many of these threads -_-
Old 08-15-2013 at 06:38 PM   #5
howea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Why do we have so many of these threads -_-
Just making sure that all bases are covered - I thought one thread and one announcement wasn't too bad!
Old 09-16-2013 at 07:56 PM   #6
willowtree

Just wondering, do you need to maintain some sort of average to stay in the Golden Key?
Thanks!

howea says thanks to willowtree for this post.
Old 09-16-2013 at 09:16 PM   #7
howea

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowtree View Post
Just wondering, do you need to maintain some sort of average to stay in the Golden Key?
Thanks!
No, you do not need to maintain any sort of average. Once you become a member, you are a lifetime member! There is no further verification of your academic performance, and your membership cannot be revoked if your average were to drop. However, it is in your best interest to maintain a good GPA, as most scholarships require a current Curriculum Vitae with the application. Plus, it just feels great to maintain such a great accomplishment

Thanks for your question!
Old 09-17-2013 at 09:36 AM   #8
shelbs

Liked: 15 Times

I noticed on the website that the first meeting is tonight. I just got my invitation in the mail yesterday and haven't bought a membership yet, can I still come to the meeting? And is there an email list that I can get onto as well? Thanks in advance!

howea says thanks to shelbs for this post.
Old 09-17-2013 at 09:55 AM   #9
howea

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbs View Post
I noticed on the website that the first meeting is tonight. I just got my invitation in the mail yesterday and haven't bought a membership yet, can I still come to the meeting? And is there an email list that I can get onto as well? Thanks in advance!
Hi Shelby,
Yes, Please come out to the General Meeting today (HSC1A4 @ 5:30)! It's a good opportunity for you to learn more about the Golden Key Society and meet some other members. To be added to our email list, please send an email to Heston Tobias, at [email protected] oldenkey.com asking to be added to our email list!

Hope to see you today!
Old 09-17-2013 at 10:51 AM   #10
Frankenseuss

Liked: 23 Times

If I can't come to the general meeting today, can I still be notified of future meetings and stuff? I bought a membership.

howea says thanks to Frankenseuss for this post.
Old 09-17-2013 at 12:32 PM   #11
howea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenseuss View Post
If I can't come to the general meeting today, can I still be notified of future meetings and stuff? I bought a membership.
Yes! We send out a weekly bulletin email to all members. Additionally, our Facebook page is always up to date. To make sure you're on our mailing list, you can send an email to Heston Tobias, at [email protected] oldenkey.com.
Old 09-17-2013 at 09:31 PM   #12
MimeMime

Liked: 9 Times

What is the fee if you don't mind me asking?

howea says thanks to MimeMime for this post.
Old 09-17-2013 at 10:33 PM   #13
howea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimeMime View Post
What is the fee if you don't mind me asking?
Hi there!

I mentioned the fee in my original post - here's the section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howea View Post
Why do I have to pay to join?
New members have to pay a one-time fee to join Golden Key, which ensures that you will be a lifetime member with access to many amazing opportunities available only through Golden Key. There are absolutely no further financial obligations expected from members. This one-time fee helps fund many things such as: invitations and other print media, scholarships, and administration.
In other words, Golden Key is 100% not for profit and the one-time fee you pay goes directly back into Golden Key initiatives and scholarships for members.

Thanks for the question!
Old 09-18-2013 at 07:53 AM   #14
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Yep, that doesn't say what the fee is. (It's $90).