MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Summer Programs Zebedee General Discussion 2 01-25-2012 04:48 PM
Purchase Summer School Books/ Books For Next Year Early! mel89 Academics 0 04-15-2011 01:22 PM
Optional Books for good sucess luxhydrus Academics 8 08-31-2010 07:01 PM
Suggest Good Books manaya General Discussion 64 12-15-2009 11:23 PM

Good Books for the Summer?

Old 04-06-2013 at 02:39 PM   #1
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Good Books for the Summer?
So...summer's almost here!
And I want to do some reading (from a book, not the computer, for a change...)...but I don't know what good books there are out there.
I like books in three categories:
1) Non-fiction I can learn from...any classic science books or history or things like that anyone recommends?
2) Classic literature, like Dickens and Bronte and poetry and such
3) High fantasy, i.e. Harry Potter and Artemis Fowl when I was younger. I'm not really into the Game of Thrones and Twilight things (too much romance... ). Also, any good sci-fi novels...?
Oh, I also like Sherlock Holmes and CSI, so....

...just realised that's a lot of categories, but, in any case, anyone know of any good books...?
Old 04-06-2013 at 02:51 PM   #2
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Classics: I really enjoyed the Scarlet Letter, and right now I'm reading Ralph Ellioson's "Invisible Man" (not to be mistaken for The Invisible Man). I'm enjoying it so far. Also, Moby Dick, although really long, is a very good epic novel. You really have to be in the mood for that one, though, seeing as it's so long. It takes dedication!

andrew22 likes this.
Old 04-06-2013 at 03:55 PM   #3
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Read textbooks for future classes?
Old 04-06-2013 at 04:00 PM   #4
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

In the fantasy category, I recommend Patrick Rothfuss and Brandon Sanderson to everybody. Pat's only published two books so far, but they're awesome. For Brandon, I'd recommend starting with Mistborn, though The Way of Kings is my favourite of his so far. Also, he has a free pdf of his novella Warbreaker on his website.
Old 04-06-2013 at 04:10 PM   #5
optical

Liked: 8 Times

A Song of Fire and Ice by G.R.R Martin!!! I finished four books in four months. I loved them! Give it a try if you are into fantasy/drama books.
Old 04-06-2013 at 05:19 PM   #6
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHiggins View Post
Read textbooks for future classes?
I've done this. As I mentioned, Moby Dick is a very good book, but it's so long! I read it in the summer so I wouldn't feel so bogged down with reading when I had to study it in the fall.
Old 04-06-2013 at 05:23 PM   #7
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Fantasy: The Books of Pellinor by Alison Croggon, rather like LotR in style.
Have you read The Hunger Games? I picked it up last year completely unaware of the hype, and they're absolutely great books. Anything by Diana Wynne Jones might work too. Also the Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke. Oh, and if you can somehow get your hands on it...Mimus by Lilli Thal. Brilliant book. And...Graceling by Kristin Cashore. There's also a couple other series I loved that are primarily aimed at children, but if you love quest-style plots or plots involving cross-over into new worlds, I would recommend the Deltora Quest books by Emily Rodda, and the Karazan Quartet by V M Jones. Oh, and of course, Eoin Colfer's other books are great too! The Supernaturalist is sci-fi. Garth Nix writes some sci-fi too, and fantasy. Also Anthony Horowitz. These are all Young Adult authors/books primarily, just fyi, 'cause that's what I read most.

Not completely fantasy, but I would also HIGHLY recommend The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

[I don't know if all of the books mentioned above will be in complete taste with your own, but I'm basing it on the fact that you liked Harry Potter and Artemis Fowl, both series which I adored, and so I just listed a few of my favourites that are similar.]

As for Classic literature...Austen? I really like all of her novels. I also enjoyed most of the works by the Bronte sisters, though I haven't read them all (yet). And I don't know if it counts or if you've read it or not, but the Anne of Green Gables series by L M Montgomery is fantastic. The author expands the world into a few separate volumes of short stories and poems too (as in The Blythes are Quoted).

Zebedee says thanks to Faer for this post.

Bug324 likes this.
Old 04-06-2013 at 05:49 PM   #8
celtics_fan

Liked: 12 Times

One of my all time favourites is Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult!
Old 04-06-2013 at 06:05 PM   #9
ninjamachete

Liked: 24 Times

Stephen King's The Dark Tower. You won't be disappointed.

denisoe likes this.
Old 04-06-2013 at 06:26 PM   #10
Ponyo

Liked: 274 Times

this might fit under #3 Deception point by Dan brown
i personally loved the book give it a try when you are free
also this one i didn't read it but my friend read it: The genesis code
Old 04-06-2013 at 07:26 PM   #11
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Not completely fantasy, but I would also HIGHLY recommend The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
Have you read I am the Messenger? It's another one of his, and I absolutely loved it. It's a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, though.

celtics_fan, Faer like this.
Old 04-06-2013 at 07:47 PM   #12
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug324 View Post
Have you read I am the Messenger? It's another one of his, and I absolutely loved it. It's a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, though.
Nooo, but I definitely mean to! I was a bit more than spell-bound by The Book Thief, and didn't want to delve right into another book of his in case I got disillusioned. But I've heard great things about it too, so I definitely plan on reading it soon!

Bug324 likes this.
Old 04-06-2013 at 08:59 PM   #13
wesiscool

Liked: 13 Times

Atlas Shrugged, Brave New World, 1984, Girl who played with fire trilogy, and maybe some english classic literature as previously mentioned.

denisoe, jaywa like this.
Old 04-06-2013 at 09:00 PM   #14
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

For non-fiction, try: Tipping Point, Outliers, Freakonomics, Super Freakonomics, Blink

Kudos likes this.
Old 04-06-2013 at 10:36 PM   #15
jaywa
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 9 Times

sci-fi: dune- frank herbert
history related: roots- alex haley
classics: the count of monte cristo- dumas
science: the double helix- james watson