MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Summer Programs Zebedee General Discussion 2 01-25-2012 04:48 PM
Purchase Summer School Books/ Books For Next Year Early! mel89 Academics 0 04-15-2011 01:22 PM
Optional Books for good sucess luxhydrus Academics 8 08-31-2010 07:01 PM
Suggest Good Books manaya General Discussion 64 12-15-2009 11:23 PM

Good Books for the Summer?

Old 04-06-2013 at 10:59 PM   #16
jaywa
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 9 Times

also you can browse this site, it has some great lists

goodreads.com
Old 04-06-2013 at 11:09 PM   #17
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Oooh, also more re: classics, I've heard The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins is great (it's sort of mystery/suspense too, I gather. I haven't read it yet but it's been sitting on my bedside table for months. )

Also, have you read Agatha Christie? You might enjoy her books if you like Sherlock Holmes! (I've only read mostly her Poirot books, and they're great).
Old 04-06-2013 at 11:20 PM   #18
Jimbojones

Liked: 16 Times

I recommend reading Still Alice by Lisa Genova.
Old 04-07-2013 at 11:40 AM   #19
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Sci-Fi + classic = Ender's Game.

Fantasy:
- The most prominent "High Fantasy" book (other than lotr) I know is the "Wheel of Time" series by robert jordan. Warning though. It will take you a LONG time to get through this series. (12k pages)
-Another Mention to Brandon Sanderson and his Way Of Kings. Excellent potential.
-Terry Brooks is highly respected in the fantasy genre (Shannara series)
-Raymond E Feist writes a very entertaining novel. If you read any of his works start with "Magician". The books get better but thats the first one.

Another interesting read is A Dream of Eagles series by Jack Whyte. He tries to tell the story of King Arthur from a military based Historical perspective (its fiction). I found his work kind of refreshing from all the similar fantasy or love stories or action thrillers or any other book that essentially copies the style it originates from.
Old 04-07-2013 at 03:02 PM   #20
nanotech471

Liked: 11 Times

1984, crime and punishment, master and margarita, war and peace, anna karenina, anything by Dickens, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Chekhov (classics) (I'm a huge Russian lit fan so I'm a tad biased)
hopes and prospects, too big to fail, democracy incorporated, brain trust, emperor of maladies biography of cancer (non fiction)
LOTR, Chronicles of Narnia (fantasy)

If you're a Holmes fan read some of Doyle's stuff (the guy who created Sherlock).
Old 04-07-2013 at 03:10 PM   #21
annakara10

Liked: 0 Times

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet!!!! I don't know anyone who has read it and didn't love it