MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sharp FX Phone, a good deal? aa84 General Discussion 6 11-08-2012 09:15 PM
Online Connection Chandlerowns Residence & Housing 8 08-04-2010 02:06 PM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Internet Connection Pay919 Residence & Housing 11 05-28-2008 05:14 PM

Good phone connection

Old 11-22-2012 at 12:08 PM   #1
shaina889

Liked: 0 Times

Good phone connection
Which phone connection works best in Hamilton and also provides the best facilities? (Canada wide calling + good data plan)

Thanks
]
Old 11-22-2012 at 12:21 PM   #2
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

Rogers. They have a tower on top of TSH. You can get a MY10 plan (unlimited calls to ten Canadian numbers anywhere in the country no airtime used or long-distance charges) for $37. Of course, you will pay more if you take on data (probably ~$50). I switched to Rogers from Bell this fall and I am very happy with it.

shaina889 says thanks to Alomar12 for this post.
Old 11-22-2012 at 12:51 PM   #3
shaina889

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks Alex!

Why did you switch from Bell? Was there connection problem? Actually I was considering Bell as well. But if there are issues with it, then I might have to go for Rogers/some other provider.
]
Old 11-22-2012 at 02:03 PM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I don't think I have ever heard anyone recommend Rogers or Bell once they have been with another company.

Assuming you don't go camping or have a cottage, wind is the cheapest with unlimited talk (anywhere in Canada), data and text for $40 plus you can get a phone on the windtab

http://www.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/UnlimitedWishPlans.as px?__utma=1.116998679 1.1348418568.13535635 97.1353614436.9&__utm b=1.2.10.1353614436&_ _utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1353614436. 9.3.utmcsr=google|utm ccn=(organic)|utmcmd= organic|utmctr=wind&_ _utmv=-&__utmk=194559661

The other options are Koodo and Fido which are both good since they run off the bigger providers' networks and cost less. Look around a bit and you will be quite happy with what you find.

Edit: take a look at this link to make sure you are covered under wind http://www.windmobile.ca/en/pages/st...overage.asp x

shaina889 says thanks to Snowman for this post.

Entropy likes this.
Old 11-22-2012 at 04:38 PM   #5
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

I switched from wind over a year ago to bell because I had to come out of my student house in order to receive text messages (the signal was that weak) and would never bother calling anyone. Maybe they are a lot better now but if you want the BEST connection you have to go with ROBELLUS. Just be prepared to pay insane amounts of money for 3 years.

Also koodo and fido have limited data networks and are only for voice/text. You get much lower priority and speeds in comparison to the big 3 even if they are the same network

shaina889 says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.
Old 11-22-2012 at 05:18 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

There are so many posts on this topic, and they all turn out the same...everyone has a different opinion, because everyone has different experiences with the company and their customer service. Something that worked out great for one person might be terrible for another.

shaina889 likes this.
Old 11-22-2012 at 06:03 PM   #7
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaina889 View Post
Thanks Alex!

Why did you switch from Bell? Was there connection problem? Actually I was considering Bell as well. But if there are issues with it, then I might have to go for Rogers/some other provider.

I switched from Bell for a number of reasons. Firstly, the Bell signal on campus is awful. It only works in very small pockets and is nearly non-existent in buildings. I also had billing issues with them and their customer service is almost all outsourced. Very frustrating.

shaina889 says thanks to Alomar12 for this post.
Old 11-22-2012 at 06:06 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alomar12 View Post
I switched from Bell for a number of reasons. Firstly, the Bell signal on campus is awful. It only works in very small pockets and is nearly non-existent in buildings. I also had billing issues with them and their customer service is almost all outsourced. Very frustrating.
I had excellent signal on campus with Bell...even in areas of MDCL where most people did not get anything, and random basements and whatnot. I found the coverage improved when I got a new phone, despite not switching carriers or plans

shaina889 says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 11-22-2012 at 06:14 PM   #9
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alomar12 View Post
That is probably more dependent on your phone, since i got a new phone last year and since I lived in a rural area, I used to get 0 service at my house and had to walk to the end of the street to make a call. With my new phone, it worked in the basement fine

shaina889 says thanks to Snowman for this post.