MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Online Connection Chandlerowns Residence & Housing 8 08-04-2010 02:06 PM
*NEW* Post Threads In SRA Connection Forum Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-13-2010 01:22 AM
EWB WEEN: Overseas Connection wih LP mlangille MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-02-2010 02:12 PM
DC++ connection problem elvindsouza General Discussion 5 09-17-2009 09:17 PM
SOCS Off Campus Connection blahzay First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-06-2009 07:40 AM

Internet Connection

Old 05-27-2008 at 02:50 PM   #1
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

Internet Connection
How fast is the wired and wireless internet connection at McMaster. I checked their site, but the link http://housing.mcmaster.ca/Residence...maconline.html doesnt seem to work =[
Thanks =]
Old 05-27-2008 at 03:24 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

It'd rediculously fast.

I can't tell you anything other than...it's fast.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-27-2008 at 06:48 PM   #3
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Depends what you are trying to do.

If you're just browsing the web and / or looking through pages on the McMaster domain it is "rediculously" fast.

If you're looking to use it to download torrents, they traffic shape and throttle so you won't be seeing more than a couple of kilobytes at best. (Sometimes there's a hiccup and you get the full potential of the network but it rarely happens when you're downloading).

In terms of IEEE standards, I'm pretty sure the wireless is 802.11g (though there are some places where it is 802.11a but those are usually private labs). The wired is your basic 10/100 connection, nothing to write home about.
Old 05-28-2008 at 05:19 AM   #4
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

do we get internet inside out residences..or do we need to go to a common area to use the internet?

+ is it wireless, or can we use a cable for it?
Old 05-28-2008 at 06:36 AM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Internet is wireless in res and most buildings on campus. You can connect in res using a hard wire as well though.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-28-2008 at 09:02 AM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Actually, there is no wireless internet in residences. Its all wired (you plug your computer or laptop into the wall). A cable is provided.

While people do setup wireless hubs in their rooms, it isn't guaranteed to work and you have to set it up yourself.

pinkshuniza says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 05-28-2008 at 09:20 AM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Hmmm. Good to know! It's more of a CAN then I guess.

Last edited by lorend : 05-28-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-28-2008 at 09:45 AM   #8
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

You just plug the cable in a LAN port rather than the WAN port and the wireless router acts as a switch with no DHCP

Last edited by DannyV : 05-28-2008 at 09:46 AM. Reason: To add the nerdy emoticon
Old 05-28-2008 at 12:07 PM   #9
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

While i was in Les Prince in 2006/07, there was wireless in the entire building. Maybe because it was new? Not sure if they have it still. While in Keyes this year, there was no wireless unless you were on the first and second floor because the lobby of Keyes has wireless. and generally, residences do not have wireless. Not hard to set it up yourself.
Old 05-28-2008 at 04:03 PM   #10
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

I used to be the telecom rep on the Inter-Residence Council, and I can tell you that the actual numerical speed of the connection (as in, in MBps) went up pretty much every year to the point where normal browsing speeds became a non-issue. Traffic shaping was brought in around that time to de-prioritize file-sharing programs (the original Napster, anyone? Flashbacks to first year...) and later, torrents. The result of this, as Danny mentioned, is slow speeds on them. But, trust me, if this wasn't done, all 'net connections would be absolutely crippled - before the shaping was in effect, browsing was sometimes painfully slow.

There is a saving grace, though - there is an internal file-sharing network accessible only to those in residence that uses DC++. This allows you to share your music and movie collections with others at Mac and download them incredibly fast - 3-5 seconds for songs and 5 minutes or so for movies is fairly typical. So don't worry about getting your daily media fix - in fact, make sure you bring a big hard drive :p

As for wireless, it's not installed in the actual living areas of the residences, but it sometimes spills over from other public spaces or study rooms and is therefore accessible. A full list of the coverage areas is here: http://www.mcmaster.ca/uts/network/w...lscoverage.htm

The residence locations (from that list) are as follows:
  • Brandon Hall - Basement Study Area
  • Edwards Hall - Basement Common Area
  • Hedden Hall - Meeting Room B107
  • Les Prince Residence - Study Areas (All floors)
  • Mary Keyes Residence -1st Floor Lobby & Meeting Room 210
  • Woodstock Hall - Room 122 & B101/E
So, not too bad overall, but I imagine they will continue to expand coverage on campus. And, as others have mentioned, you can always bring your own wireless router and put it in your room if you want to (especially handy in the apartment-style buildings!). All the rooms have a wired ethernet jack that it could plug into, and I know the living rooms in Keyes do, too.

Last edited by Cippi : 05-28-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-28-2008 at 05:12 PM   #11
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Thread on DC++:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...file+shar ing
Old 05-28-2008 at 05:14 PM   #12
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

actually im glad its a wire..i personally dont like wireless too much..it can disconnect when u need it the most!