MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work with the Federal Government this Summer pedlark MacInsiders Announcements 7 03-15-2010 01:04 PM
OSAP: Government ID n.nguyen First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-28-2009 07:06 PM
New Government Grants Discontinued kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 8 05-09-2009 12:18 AM
OSAP not issued this term... Skip First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 01-14-2009 01:41 PM
Government 'Crisis' temara.brown Politics 9 12-06-2008 09:13 AM

government issued photo ID

Old 09-04-2010 at 01:46 PM   #1
rcmp1234

Liked: 7 Times

government issued photo ID
hey, for the government issued photo id that im required to bring to my residence, would the TTC student card suffice?

thanks
Old 09-04-2010 at 01:48 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmp1234 View Post
hey, for the government issued photo id that im required to bring to my residence, would the TTC student card suffice?

thanks
TTC student cards aren't issued by the government.
Old 09-04-2010 at 01:57 PM   #3
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

^jhan u just made me lol
Old 09-04-2010 at 02:31 PM   #4
rcmp1234

Liked: 7 Times

what about my OHIP card...because my passport is expired and i dont have a drivers license
Old 09-04-2010 at 02:32 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
what about my OHIP card...because my passport is expired and i dont have a drivers license
Yes, your Health Card is a government issued ID.
Old 09-04-2010 at 02:44 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Well, it has to be photo ID...so if you still have the old red & white cards (which are waaaaaay better than the new ones because they don't expire!) then that will not work, unless maybe you combined it with some sort of other photo ID?
If you have the new green ones with your picture, that will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523
TTC student cards aren't issued by the government.

LOL...see, I would think this would be obvious
Old 09-04-2010 at 02:49 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Well, it has to be photo ID...so if you still have the old red & white cards (which are waaaaaay better than the new ones because they don't expire!) then that will not work, unless maybe you combined it with some sort of other photo ID?
If you have the new green ones with your picture, that will work.

LOL...see, I would think this would be obvious
[/color][/color]
Oh right, I totally forgot that there could be old health cards still out there. But I think everyone who turns 16 has to update their OHIP cards to the photo-ID ones ever since I turned 16 (I'm pretty sure my birth year, 1990, was the first ones to get the mandatory change because my brother, 1987, never got the notice).
Old 09-04-2010 at 02:55 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Oh right, I totally forgot that there could be old health cards still out there. But I think everyone who turns 16 has to update their OHIP cards to the photo-ID ones ever since I turned 16 (I'm pretty sure my birth year, 1990, was the first ones to get the mandatory change because my brother, 1987, never got the notice).
They're actually not mandatory, they just write the letters to make it seem like they are. My parents even got letters...but my friend's mom is a doctor, and she said to not switch over to the new ones, because the old ones are like gold since they don't expire. Unless sometime down the road they decide to stop accepting the old ones, there is nothing wrong with still having one

The expiring thing really is a pain...my little sister has had a green one ever since she was born (in 1997), and they never explicitly said that the card expired, my parents never paid that much attention since the old red & white ones never expired...and then my mom took her to the clinic, and the receptionist told her that the card was a week away from expiring. We never got a reminder letter or anything :S
Old 09-04-2010 at 03:12 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
They're actually not mandatory, they just write the letters to make it seem like they are. My parents even got letters...but my friend's mom is a doctor, and she said to not switch over to the new ones, because the old ones are like gold since they don't expire. Unless sometime down the road they decide to stop accepting the old ones, there is nothing wrong with still having one

The expiring thing really is a pain...my little sister has had a green one ever since she was born (in 1997), and they never explicitly said that the card expired, my parents never paid that much attention since the old red & white ones never expired...and then my mom took her to the clinic, and the receptionist told her that the card was a week away from expiring. We never got a reminder letter or anything :S
Yeah, they expire because of the photo since a lot can change in 5 years even for older people. I believe they reason why they change the cards to photo-ID is to prevent fraud. If you max out your OHIP you could easily take someone else's OHIP if they have the red and white card.
Old 09-04-2010 at 03:17 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yeah, they expire because of the photo since a lot can change in 5 years even for older people. I believe they reason why they change the cards to photo-ID is to prevent fraud. If you max out your OHIP you could easily take someone else's OHIP if they have the red and white card.
My sister's didn't have a photo though, because if you're younger than 16 you don't need one...but yeah, I think security was the issue. It's still a pain in the @ss though
Old 09-04-2010 at 03:28 PM   #11
AnthraX

Liked: 23 Times

Do they need a copy of the photo id for them to keep?
Old 09-04-2010 at 03:30 PM   #12
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthraX View Post
Do they need a copy of the photo id for them to keep?
No, just the picture they ask for.