MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year engineering. Hello. vandidant Introduce Yourself 1 06-06-2013 08:22 PM
going into 2nd year Engineering hassan1994 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-07-2013 12:11 PM
Entering Engineering next year - QUESTIONS about first year Devine13 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 03-08-2013 08:42 AM
1st year engineering Arisu4 Introduce Yourself 1 08-31-2012 07:53 PM

GPA for 2nd Year Engineering

Old 01-03-2014 at 03:06 PM   #1
adame1195

Liked: 0 Times

GPA for 2nd Year Engineering
What gpa's do you need for entrance into civil, chemical, electrical, and mechanical?
Old 01-03-2014 at 03:44 PM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

That depends on how many people apply to each program (it changes each year, although not too much). Generally speaking, if you have a 7 you should be good for most programs (except for maybe management).

Civil and mechanical need the highest average, while chem eng and electrical don't require a high gpa. Just aim for the highest gpa this year so you can be in the safe zone.
Old 01-03-2014 at 04:20 PM   #3
mythbuster06

Liked: 1 Time

The cut-off marks for each program are never officially released because they change from year to year, but aiming for a 7 is usually pretty safe.
Old 01-03-2014 at 05:43 PM   #4
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

In May 2009, I got in to Elec & Management with a 7.9. I don't have much else datapoint wise for ECE. I do know, however, that Comp Eng's cutoff is low (around 4, the bare minimum) normally. So, if you want Elec, I would say place Elec first then Comp second. If you don't meet Elec, you can mirror it via Comp (since the programs are nigh identical in year 2) and then re-apply the next year.

Also, a friend didn't get in to Mech with a 5.5. I can't imagine a 6 would be sufficient, either. So if you're sitting low right now, really step up your game next term.

Aim high.

Old 01-03-2014 at 05:59 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

To get into any program a 7 is the "average". This includes mgmt and the biomed programs