appeal information camelsrfun Academics 2 04-09-2013 01:50 AM
How do you appeal a mark? De La Soul Academics 2 11-23-2011 04:46 PM
Reinstatement Appeal Keenu Academics 4 06-23-2010 04:39 PM

Grade Appeal

Old 06-05-2014 at 02:01 PM   #1
Lawstudent

Liked: 6 Times

Grade Appeal
Ended with a 79 in a course and am appealing a C+ on an essay worth 15%. I handed it in late with the permission of the TA, and there is no late policy in the course syllabus or as stated by course instructor/TA.

I know people who handed it in late with no penalty. I was docked marks for late submission by my TA who previously said she "may" take that into consideration when assigning my grade. I feel the lack of guidelines for late submission will help my appeal.

Chances of my grade going up that 1%?
Old 06-05-2014 at 03:02 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Talk to the professor. But first, do the math and see if changing that one mark of the essay will alter your final grade, because it may not be enough to bump you up.
Old 06-05-2014 at 03:29 PM   #3
Lawstudent

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Talk to the professor. But first, do the math and see if changing that one mark of the essay will alter your final grade, because it may not be enough to bump you up.
Getting a one-mark bump on essay to B- will raise me to an 80. Prof is being stingy and won't help.
Old 06-05-2014 at 03:59 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

They default to the course syllabus and/or school policy, unless you have written proof you were told otherwise. I don't know what they'll do if it's not clear in the course outline, though - school policy is that late penalties are described in the course outline. What course is it?

The most compelling argument you have to support your case is that other students handed it in late and were not docked. Of course, this is only a valid argument if the other students did not have doctor's notes or MSAF to allow the late submission, AND if you can prove that other students did submit late.