MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Career Fair -Networking Reception Graduating Students Alison MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-18-2010 02:27 PM
convocation this week.. anyone going? macculkin Academics 8 06-13-2010 09:30 PM
convocation cellphone Academics 7 05-30-2010 09:11 AM
Graduation Cards for Spring Convocation lorend MacInsiders Announcements 15 04-20-2010 01:40 AM
Reception mac-lover First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 02-13-2010 08:36 PM

Graduation Convocation & Reception

Old 06-10-2009 at 12:08 PM   #1
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Graduation Convocation & Reception
I was wondering what the Reception is for, following the Convocation ceremony. Are there any formal events that take place at the Reception? Are there food/drinks served?

Also, how much time do we have after the ceremony to return the gowns? Can we take them back to campus to take pictures?
Old 06-10-2009 at 12:40 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Reception is for you to talk around and talk to other grads, and for parents to take pictures. There are beverages (coffee, tea, water), and if there is food (I skipped out on mine) it's very snack-like.

You are not allowed to go outside of Hamilton Place with the gowns. There are gown police who watch you, and yell at you to come back if you get too far away.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Allan says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-10-2009 at 12:41 PM   #3
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
You are not allowed to go outside of Hamilton Place with the gowns. There are gown police who watch you, and yell at you to come back if you get too far away.
Really? That's hardcore lmao. Are the gowns a rental or supplied by McMaster for free or something to that effect?
Old 06-10-2009 at 12:53 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yup. You'd think I'm lying but noooo.

The gown fee must be included in the Grad Fee you pay if you go to convocation. But I don't know if it's a separate company who supplies them or not. I assume the hoods (i.e. those coloured sash things you wear around your neck) are supplied by Mac though.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-10-2009 at 01:34 PM   #5
Allan
Elite Member

Why doesn't Mac have its own Convocation hall?
Old 06-10-2009 at 01:48 PM   #6
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Why doesn't Mac have its own Convocation hall?
I'm fairly certain we do. I've been in "Convocation Hall" on campus and it definitely looks nice. Not sure why we don't use it; Could be the fact that it might not be able to fit 500+ people into it though.
Old 06-10-2009 at 01:52 PM   #7
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

We do have a Convocation Hall it's in my fave building -- University Hall! =)
Yeah, it definitely wouldn't fit all of the grads though
Old 06-10-2009 at 01:57 PM   #8
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

I heard Healthscis have their grad ceremony there.
Old 06-10-2009 at 02:13 PM   #9
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callender View Post
Makes sense, their faculty is like 90 people a year.
Old 06-10-2009 at 03:00 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by callender View Post
Health Scis and Art Scis are the only faculties to have convocation on-campus. All of the others are simply waaaay too big.

Old 06-10-2009 at 03:06 PM   #11
Allan
Elite Member

So why don't we have a larger convocation hall? Seems like all other universities have one. Doesn't it cost us more in the long-run to keep renting Hamilton Place?
Old 06-10-2009 at 03:20 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Approximately 1000 people attend any given graduation ceremony (grads and family included); which is why many of the faculties are split into two ceremonies.

So, you've got to think about:

a) where is this massive building going to be built?
b) how is this going to impact parking on campus?
c) how much is it going to cost?

Old 06-12-2009 at 10:12 PM   #13
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

You also have to keep in mind that Mac's over a hundred years old, when only like 60 people would graduate per year...that's when its convocation hall was built.
Old 06-12-2009 at 11:02 PM   #14
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
So why don't we have a larger convocation hall? Seems like all other universities have one. Doesn't it cost us more in the long-run to keep renting Hamilton Place?
I'm sure the Cost/Benefit analysis has been done and the administration has come to the decision not to. Also, we don't really have anywhere on campus that would suit both in capacity and niceness. Sure you could throw them in the Braley gym but come on, this isn't elementary school.

In terms of building a hall for it...we don't need more construction, especially for something that's going to be used what? maybe 3 times a year (there's 3 convocations during the year right? or was it 2, either way the point stands). I'd say the rooms we have now aren't being utilized to their fullest so building another one isn't a priority.

Also, a hall like Hamilton hall needs to be booked months and I'm sure even years in advance. Maybe McMaster is considering switching to a place on campus but the long term commitment has been made to Hamilton Hall so for now they go with that.
Old 06-13-2009 at 05:59 AM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

There are two convocations; one in June and on in the Fall...October/Novemberish.

But I believe Continuing Ed has three, although theirs are held in Con Hall if I recall correctly.