MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Closest stores Olivia. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 09-23-2010 09:42 PM
Asian Grocery Stores in Hamilton Amaryll General Discussion 1 09-06-2010 09:01 PM
Grocery nonikhanna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-01-2010 06:24 PM
Are any grocery stores open tomorrow? Kathy2 General Discussion 4 04-04-2010 04:16 AM
Grocery Shopping katie_batt Residence & Housing 13 10-05-2008 03:43 PM

grocery stores?

Old 08-11-2009 at 08:21 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott000 View Post
I think they own Food Basics (which is their discount chain) similar to No Frills (Loblaws discount) and Price Chopper (Sobey's discount) but aside from the discount stores I think they re-branded all the other stores as Metro (which is why there's so many Metro stores around now)
Hmmm, alright. That's nice to know.
Old 08-11-2009 at 09:31 PM   #17
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Fortino's + Metro

Depends where your living. If its on residence its definitely Fortino's.
Old 08-11-2009 at 10:20 PM   #18
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Use your bus pass and head east to No Frills. Definitely save you some money if you're getting a few things (so you can carry) and have some time (so you can take the bus).
Old 08-11-2009 at 11:12 PM   #19
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Also, Metro is 24/7 in case you need to pick anything up : )
Old 08-12-2009 at 12:16 AM   #20
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Metro is the most expensive out of all of them, but it has the convenience of being open 24/7. Also, there's two Metros close to Mac -- one on the otherisde of Westdale (keep walking down King.. it's actually really close. You can take a bus if you want though) and then the one thats technically in Dundas, though thats only a few minutes away from the West Village Condos =) Also quick to get to via the bus (I wouldnt walk personally).

FORTINOS <3 We definitely need a P.Chop (Price Chopper) close by though. I was so surprised when I got to Mac that there really werent any discount grocery stores nearby.

Old 08-12-2009 at 12:22 AM   #21
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

How far is the No Frills from campus, it's the cheapest in my opinion in Toronto - Haven't been to Fortino's here though :S
Old 08-12-2009 at 12:34 AM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
How far is the No Frills from campus, it's the cheapest in my opinion in Toronto - Haven't been to Fortino's here though :S
According to Google Maps:

Car: 10minutes (5.7km)
Public Transit would take around 45 minutes (but it's summer, not sure if they change their schedule when school starts)
Walking: Just over an hour

~*Sara*~ says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-12-2009 at 01:05 AM   #23
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Thanks Jeremy! I looked it up as well, the nearest one is south of Mac, but no buses run there, since it's a residential area, so you'd have to take a huge loop >.>. I guess Fortino's won't be that bad then, since they're owned by the same company and all.
Old 08-12-2009 at 01:10 AM   #24
5footwonder

Liked: 2 Times

No frills is definitely the cheapest but quite the trek if you're heading from Campus, and the areas surrounding campus but for me it's totally worth it. It feels good to save all that extra money Fortinos is close by, i'm not sure if you're familiar with the Hamilton area specifically the area surrounding McMaster, but its a good ten minute walk from campus. The other actual grocery store is Metro, in my opinion it is far too over priced. Its on Main and Longwood (so still in the Westdale area). Of course you can buy stuff in the Keyes shop thingy.
Old 08-12-2009 at 01:15 AM   #25
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

I looked up a schedule on the HSR website, the "trip planning" feature says it takes 1.5 hours to get to the No Frills on Mohawk. That's not true.. is it =O?
I actually passed by the Fortino's near McMaster, I was surprised to see it was pretty far from campus, I expected it to be a lot closer :(.
Old 08-12-2009 at 01:27 AM   #26
5footwonder

Liked: 2 Times

There is one on Main street East, main and Tisdale I believe. You have to take the king bus, so king 1A, OR take the B-line express and get off at the closest stop to Main st E and Tisdale (it doesn't stop directly there, so you have to walk a bit). The best option by far is to take the 1A, its roughly a half hour trip

~*Sara*~ says thanks to 5footwonder for this post.
Old 08-12-2009 at 02:24 AM   #27
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I looked up a schedule on the HSR website, the "trip planning" feature says it takes 1.5 hours to get to the No Frills on Mohawk. That's not true.. is it =O?
I actually passed by the Fortino's near McMaster, I was surprised to see it was pretty far from campus, I expected it to be a lot closer :(.
The Fortinos is actually really close, I walked from there to class once, and it took abouuut 10-15 minutes to get to campus? It's like less than a minute on the bus.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 08-12-2009 at 06:23 AM   #28
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

the closest no frills by bus is actually the 453 Main St. E one. it's a 25 min bus according to google..

~*Sara*~ says thanks to Kareko for this post.
Old 08-12-2009 at 07:08 AM   #29
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha__ View Post
FORTINOS <3 We definitely need a P.Chop (Price Chopper) close by though. I was so surprised when I got to Mac that there really werent any discount grocery stores nearby.
The Fortinos actually was a No Frills 5 years ago. I'm assuming the company thought they'd make more money with a Fortinos there. Lo and behold there is a Fortinos that is nearly always busy since there are few other options in the area.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-12-2009 at 07:32 AM   #30
twitterbird

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
Fortino's + Metro

Depends where your living. If its on residence its definitely Fortino's.
ill be living in bates, if that makes a difference