MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Watch TV Free - With the new Rogers On Demand Online Chad MacInsiders Announcements 18 10-09-2010 01:23 PM
Grooveshark Yakattack Music 4 09-19-2010 09:42 AM
File your taxes online for free sniderj Financial Aid 9 02-25-2010 10:45 AM
Good history article database on Mac Library site? HeatherH Academics 5 11-20-2008 08:25 PM
Songs you can't get enough of. BlakeM General Discussion 4 09-08-2008 06:52 PM

GrooveShark - free online database of ALL songs

Old 02-03-2010 at 12:41 AM   #1
Alvand

Liked: 39 Times

GrooveShark - free online database of ALL songs
Hey everyone,

So I recently came across an amazing website called www.GrooveShark.com , which is an online database of music for you to listen to just about every song you want. The best part is that it's totally free. It's like your dream iTunes library.

So who here uses this website?

How can a site like this exist?

If you haven't yet tried this site out, I highly recommend you check it out!

(Thanks to I believe Matt Wright for writing a little review about this site in The Sil's Andy section a couple weeks back)

p.s. Vote tomorrow and Thursday! Be Informed, Vote Smart!

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Last edited by Alvand : 02-03-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: trying to fix link

andrew22, JEFF_CHAN all say thanks to Alvand for this post.
Old 02-03-2010 at 01:01 AM   #2
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

*Searches obscure song*

*Searches random asian song*

... o_O

*Searches random video game music*

...O_O

Jesus Christ, this site is awesome!

aya017, Entropy like this.
Old 02-03-2010 at 01:05 AM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Bunch of similar sites out there, all of which like Grooveshark have questions surrounding the legalities.

http://www.deezer.com
http://www.radioblogclub.com

And some solid paid ones: http://mog.com, as well as officially backed ones likes http://www.ilike.com
Old 02-03-2010 at 01:14 AM   #4
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

I've got a Grooveshark account.

Yeah it's free, but I don't see it being around for very long like this...
Old 02-03-2010 at 01:24 AM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

As far as I know Grooveshark has been around since '07. The other two sites I listed have been around and been able to survive for years. Other sites were shut down quickly such as Muxtape and Seeqpod. Not sure how these ones are still around. Another one, Imeem, was almost bankrupt and recently bought by MySpace which is now the new MySpace Music...
Old 02-03-2010 at 01:32 AM   #6
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

it is pretty good.. i tried sum searches that normally wouldnt turn up hits on a site like that.. got some hit.. not as many as i hoped.. but enough for me to give the site a second look
Old 02-03-2010 at 01:37 AM   #7
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

It's missing really niche stuff, but it's still an amazing catalog (It's got songs that both of Chad's alternatives are missing).
Old 02-03-2010 at 09:39 AM   #8
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Yeah, I've been using it extensively pretty much since Last.fm started charging Canadians. Apparently they actually make sure to pay for the content used, but I agree that it probably won't be up long, especially if more people know about it.

So please stop advertising it! We used to be able to use YouTube to post anything before the copyright cat got out of the bag :p

Its the same reason I no longer encourage people to read. The fact is writers can get away with so much more in books than they can in movies or TV. If a large number of people actually start reading again, and using it as a real medium for knowledge and entertainment, it won't be long before we have government regulations for book content.

There's also a program you can use to get your grooveshark stuff to scrobble with Last.fm.

Last edited by Marlowe : 02-03-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2010 at 10:01 PM   #9
Alvand

Liked: 39 Times

This article I read on Wired.com explains why this website is somewhat legit. They have deals with major labels (EMI actually dropped their lawsuit and partnered with them). Also, there's an option to purchase the song from Amazon or iTunes , which seems kind of pointless but I guess is convinces the 40 year old + execs at these companies .

And Andrew, I don't think there will ever be government regulations for book content (at least the way you describe it), because why would they not already ban books that bring up topics that would be frightening to governments, such as Naomi Klein and Aldous Huxley for instance?

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Old 02-03-2010 at 10:28 PM   #10
Marlowe
Elite Member

Because as it stands in the world today, books are not a mass medium. Far, far, far more people watch the average movie than read the average book. Even books that are required reading in schools across the country, even they still don't get seen as much as any given episode of Friends. Books are an underground medium, and not in some hipster sense, but in the sense that virtually the only people who see them are the ones that already want to.

Its not just about political things, its everything. Books can get away with anything compared to what movies or TV can. Read a Chuck Palahniuk book and compare it to the movies made of it. Its a sanitized version. Its kindof the same reason Macs have fewer viruses- safety by obscurity. And as Mac increases their market size, that disappears.

Anyways, sorry for off-topicness.
Old 02-03-2010 at 11:37 PM   #11
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

I still use Last.fm for scrobbling purposes. Probably for not much other reason than being a stat-whore

http://www.last.fm/user/repins2759
Old 02-05-2010 at 03:52 AM   #12
tchiky

Liked: 0 Times

online radio
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
I've got a Grooveshark account.

Yeah it's free, but I don't see it being around for very long like this...
Hi

for online radio i prefer tv243.com
it shuffles Music Videos, not only the songs
Old 02-05-2010 at 09:30 AM   #13
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
I still use Last.fm for scrobbling purposes. Probably for not much other reason than being a stat-whore

http://www.last.fm/user/repins2759
haha, I use last.fm because it's a part of my other life on the internet :\

http://www.last.fm/user/indierocker5321

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 02-05-2010 at 09:49 AM   #14
Marlowe
Elite Member

Since everyone is posting their Last.fm...

http://www.last.fm/user/WildeHeart

I stopped using it for quite a while, between the points where they started charging Canadians extra to use the radio feature, and when I figured out how to get GrooveShark to scrobble. So my stats are all really low.
Old 02-05-2010 at 11:52 AM   #15
mike_302
Elite Member

If you want to procrastinate, JamLegends.com is free and it's essentially a free, online version of Guitar hero, but far more integrated with the online world, and if it weren't for using your keyboard, it would beat guitar hero... Although using your keyboard is actually not as bad as it sounds: you can choose to use the F- buttons , F1 - F5 and you cna then hold it like a guitar and it actually feels easier to hit all 5 buttons than guitar hero... The difficulty increases with the speed of the song and the number of buttons : But at least you can actually hit all the buttons! I for one can't get Orange on guitar hero for the life of me.