MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Does this mean they've changed the fridge policy? hitek168 Residence & Housing 11 08-04-2010 04:36 PM
Coldex Fridge Policy - Action Now! (from the IRC) sarrah66 MacInsiders Announcements 10 08-03-2010 08:31 PM
Coldex New Fridge Policy goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 11 07-29-2010 10:53 PM
Pulse guest policy? ali11 General Discussion 7 10-03-2008 08:30 PM

Hamilton ONE + one Policy

Hamilton ONE + one Policy

BY DANIELLE LORENZ, MACINSIDERS

I don't know about the rest of you, but not that much thought goes into what I put at the side of the curb every Sunday evening. Don't get me wrong, I recycle as much as I can and use the green bin often, but other than that I don't think much about my trash. It seems as though Hamilton has finally caught on to the idea that not everyone is ecologically minded, and as a result are implementing a policy with the aim to reduce the amount of garbage going to landfills. If you are living in a student house with multiple inhabitants and put out more than a can of garbage each week you should definately read up on this new policy!

When the green bin program started in Hamilton in 2006, it allowed for a lot of the food wastes collected in homes to be removed without going to a landfill. However, this new program will hopefully remove even more waste from landfills over the next two years.

It is believed that up to 85% of waste that ends up in a landfill can actually be recycled.

As of March 30 2009, households will only be permitted to put one garbage can (23kg/135L) and one CLEAR plastic bag out for pickup. If the collectors notice there is a significant amount of organic or recyclable materials in the plastic bag they will not pick it up, due to the fact that the material could have been placed elsewhere. The ONE + one program will last until April 2, 2010. After that date households will only be permitted to put out one garbage can weekly, in addition to organic and regular recycling.

There are of course exceptions to these rules (i.e. grace periods after holidays, or there are three or more children under five years old in the house). You can find out more information from Hamilton's Waste Management websites. You can also find out where to pick up blue boxes (which are FREE and unlimited in Hamilton) from the aforementioned website too.
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 02-08-2009 at 04:39 PM   #2
DannyV
Elite Member
Program: Computer Engineering & Management
Year: Other

Liked: 207 Times
We put out one can but there's like 2 -3 bags stuffed in it :-/
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 02-08-2009 at 04:46 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Yeah, that's fine. The can can be filled (but has to close/have lid on it).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-08-2009 at 06:18 PM   #4
DavidR
Program: Software Engineering
Residence: Woodstock ('04-'05)

Liked: 87 Times
House of 5 guys... rarely have more than 1 can to put out anyways.

Old 02-08-2009 at 09:10 PM   #5
EmilySusie
Program: Fine Arts and Communication Studies
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 18 Times
I live in Hamilton with my family, and we usually struggle now with only being allowed one bag.. the clear bag might help. Although they're really picky sometimes so i can easily see them rejecting our clear bag if like you mentioned there's too much that could have been recycled/composted.
Old 02-09-2009 at 12:44 AM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia

Liked: 1,731 Times
I thought we were only allowed 1 garbage can full of garbage bags anyways.. and then 2 recycle bins (one for paper, the other for cans/glass/plastic/etc).

Having extra garbage bags outside of the 1 garbage can I thought wasn't allowed anyways

Assuming that most regular households (not commercial businesses) only fill up their garbage can and don't put out extra bags.. this won't change much since they can still put lots of recyclable material in the black garbage bags they put in their cans.

It should be that all bags should be clear, even the ones in the garbage can.

On a side note... WHOLY COW DOES GINO'S THROW OUT A LOT OF GARBAGE! On Sunday the street beside that place is littered with garbage bags... some have cardboard pizza boxes and smells real bad. I hope all those boxes are being recycled.
Old 02-09-2009 at 07:26 AM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Yeah Gino's is...gross. I don't know what to say other than gross...eww

Recycling is technically unlimited, so long as you have paper separated from everything else in different bins. My house has three bins, and they take them all. And technically I think my old house had four (two were made into a cart thing...).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 02-09-2009 at 03:35 PM.

Article Tools