MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happens if you DONT.... shes-a-diva* Academics 1 11-28-2010 01:00 PM
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
What dont you like about biking camais General Discussion 23 02-08-2010 03:47 PM
My students in the US dont know math Chad General Discussion 13 08-19-2007 09:14 PM

What happens if I dont get into my 2nd year program?

Old 12-13-2011 at 11:40 PM   #1
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

What happens if I dont get into my 2nd year program?
Hello

I want to go into Civil eng and Management for 2nd year

thats really the only thing that I want to go into.

but unfortunately at the looks of my marks my gpa is not near 7-8 that I need for Management

Math is harder then I thought it was at mac

I also dont want anything other then Civil,
only reason I chose mac was for the mix of business and engineering in the management program

So what Happens if i dont get into it for 2nd year?
what you guys recommend I do?
I know i still got time but it just came to my mind now
Old 12-14-2011 at 12:02 AM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

you can NOT know for sure if you are not gonna get into civil habibi ..

Its only December, I know sequences and series are really hard, but try your best , you don't have to get a 12 in 1za3. Math 1zb3 is easier than 1za3, math 1zc3 meh , still easier than that maclaurin series 0.o ..that was just a disaster lol ..

Also you have got term 2 to improve your gpa... who told you mngt is an 8 anyways ? no one for sure can know the exact gpa until end of may (even then its hard to know, but u can guess from what people got in and what not) ..

Also, you are in the faculty of engineering for civil not business, don't kill yourself if you cant make the mngt option o.0, just take business/commerce courses each summer, or minor in society and take a lot of business courses (i think that's what my friend is doing)

good luck

just keep trying, and dont worry about the gpa bs stuff

mfattal says thanks to jim1 for this post.

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 12-14-2011 at 12:06 AM   #3
Malka

Liked: 10 Times

Hey

I dont know about engineering but what happens for other faculties is that there is a specific average for honors and if you do not get that average then you are offered a place in BA program and that is only if your average is below the average needed for honors and above or at the average needed to stay in university that is i think 3. For engineering I am guessing you will probably be offered some other engineering field or you will either be able to stay in general engineering program and then you can re apply to civil engineering in second year. Also If you do not get into honors you can accept BA program and then you can switch to honors program later in second year.

mfattal says thanks to Malka for this post.
Old 12-14-2011 at 12:08 AM   #4
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Hey

I dont know about engineering but what happens for other faculties is that there is a specific average for honors and if you do not get that average then you are offered a place in BA program and that is only if your average is below the average needed for honors and above or at the average needed to stay in university that is i think 3. For engineering I am guessing you will probably be offered some other engineering field or you will either be able to stay in general engineering program and then you can re apply to civil engineering in second year. Also If you do not get into honors you can accept BA program and then you can switch to honors program later in second year.
we don't have/deal with honors in engineering (only comp sci students do )..and yes he can repeat first year (its called reinstatement)..but don't forget that he still got a long way to improve his gpa

mfattal says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 12-14-2011 at 01:23 AM   #5
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

work harder.
You have an entire semester to bring up your mark. Thats a long time. Also dont drop courses as the admissions processes takes # units into consideration as well.

As for math...
If you aren't doing that well in math now...I HIGHLY suggest getting a tutor. I believe second semester math in first year is harder than first semester (if those 2 courses are based on old 1zz5). Also second year math (particularly 2zz3) is FAR harder. If you are struggling now, you will most likely fail later so work on those math skills now.

mfattal says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.
Old 12-14-2011 at 05:05 AM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
Hello

I want to go into Civil eng and Management for 2nd year

thats really the only thing that I want to go into.

but unfortunately at the looks of my marks my gpa is not near 7-8 that I need for Management

Math is harder then I thought it was at mac

I also dont want anything other then Civil,
only reason I chose mac was for the mix of business and engineering in the management program

So what Happens if i dont get into it for 2nd year?
what you guys recommend I do?
I know i still got time but it just came to my mind now
If you don't get into your second year program, you 'shadow' the program and apply again next year... (i.e. take the courses your desired program require without actually officially being in it)

mfattal says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 12-14-2011 at 07:56 AM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

1. work hard. it will affect the rest of ur uni life

Part about dealing with selection. When u apply u list ur top choices. if u dont get into civ mgmt then they'll move down the list to ur other choices say Mechanical & society. U'll get in a program but prob not the one u want. Example: i wanted chem mgmt last year and didnt get in. however i got into chem society and used that to fuel a business minor and try to mirror the mgmt program as much as possible.

If i recall.. avg for straight civil was a 5?

mfattal says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 12-14-2011 at 10:50 AM   #8
Schleifer_1

Liked: 17 Times

Don't worry about it. A lot of people don't do well in first year. My advice is: if you find the work too difficult, take four classes a term instead of five (assuming you can afford it.) You'll be at Mac an extra year, but it's much easier with one less class.
As for not getting into your second year program, I finished first year with a 3.3 GPA and 21 credits (7 completed classes.) Second year, I was still officially in first year, but over half my classes were second year. I went to lectures, started taking classes I enjoyed, took a lighter course load, and put forward a real effort, and when I finished my 8 classes in second year, I'd managed to bring my GPA up to a 6.4, and I got into the honours program I wanted.
That being said, keep an open mind when it comes to your classes. Take a few electives that seem interesting, and maybe you'll find something you love more than what you came here for. I came to Mac for physics, but after taking an elective that seemed like fun, I found my true calling to be environmental science. If you really do love what you're doing, take an extra year, and do fewer courses.
(P.S.: I understand a standard course load for engineering is 6 classes, not 5, so instead of doing 4 per term for 5 years, a engineer may either do 4 per term for 6 years, or 5 per term for 4 years and 4 per term for a 5th year, or 4 per term for 5 years and 2 per summer for 4 years. The bottom line is, the less quantity of work, the better quality of work.)

mfattal says thanks to Schleifer_1 for this post.
Old 12-14-2011 at 11:14 AM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleifer_1 View Post
Don't worry about it. A lot of people don't do well in first year. My advice is: if you find the work too difficult, take four classes a term instead of five (assuming you can afford it.) You'll be at Mac an extra year, but it's much easier with one less class.
I recommend this advice to any engineer reading this...

There are people who manage to plow through their 4 years with good grades and comprehension (basically because they're good at time management) like a boss, but they are few. Most go through with meh grades and not a complete enough understanding as they should have. Its always preferable to have less classes per semester if it means you'll do better overall (PROVIDED YOU DONT BLOW THAT FREE TIME )

mfattal says thanks to RyanC for this post.

jim1 likes this.
Old 12-14-2011 at 11:25 AM   #10
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

second term math is definitely harder, although I don't think the grades were any lower, so that means if you work harder then everyone else you could realistically do better in those courses. I felt I knew ZB3 quite well although I only got one mark higher then ZC3 which I knew next to nothing about.

mfattal says thanks to julianface for this post.
Old 12-14-2011 at 11:50 AM   #11
Thatguyadam

Liked: 3 Times

Unfortunately math is only going to get harder, especially second year. however next semester will be mostly new concepts (or atleast built on the basics of 1za3) so you may actually find it easier. I found that they assume you learned alot of it in highschool for 1za3 which is something i didn't. While most people found it harder second semester i actually found it a little easier. Also, materials can be a really easy way to boost you mark as it isnt quite as hard as most people say. Make sure you understand how and where to use the formulas rather than writing down formulas and hoping for the best.

but ya the cutoff for straight civil was a 5.4 this year i think? i wouldn't worry about management too much just do what you can and see what mark you end up with.

mfattal says thanks to Thatguyadam for this post.
Old 12-14-2011 at 01:45 PM   #12
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

ya rather then worrying about getting into management you should just worry about getting into civil. If you don't get into management just try and do well and go for an mba or take a 5th year with business courses

mfattal says thanks to julianface for this post.
Old 12-14-2011 at 06:19 PM   #13
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Thanks for the tips guys, Some one told me that If I dont get into Management I can go to sally williams and I have to write a letter of why I want to go into the management program, If my reason is good enough then I think they will put me in the management program

is this true?
Old 12-14-2011 at 06:38 PM   #14
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
Thanks for the tips guys, Some one told me that If I dont get into Management I can go to sally williams and I have to write a letter of why I want to go into the management program, If my reason is good enough then I think they will put me in the management program

is this true?
It might be, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in this basket if I were you.
You need a really good reason...
Old 12-14-2011 at 07:24 PM   #15
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

If you want to get into management, work hard in everything but focus on electives and easy courses as much as the hard ones. I got an 11 in microecon and1zb3 and my lowest mark was a 6, but they balanced out nicely. this year my range between my marks is even bigger but they still balance out well. if you get get an 11 or 12 in a bird course it is equally weighted as physics so just do your best.