MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it hard to get a 7/12 GPA ? imdreamer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 02-15-2011 06:57 AM
External hard drive for mac Juve General Discussion 11 01-16-2011 03:23 PM
anyone had Professor TBA? is he a hard teacher? tiffanytian First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 08-20-2010 02:05 PM
Hard Courses During Fall/Winter or Spring/Summer? smiles Academics 14 08-20-2009 09:37 PM
math 1aa3, is it hard? nadia1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 34 08-17-2009 10:01 PM

How hard are these courses?

Old 05-22-2011 at 07:17 AM   #1
ramses

Liked: 1 Time

How hard are these courses?
Biology 3P03 (Cell Physiology)

Biology 3AA3 (Fundamental concepts of pharmacology).

Biology 2EE3 (Introduction to microbiology and biotechnology).

I know these are serious science courses, but they are not unreasonable, right? I need a high-3.8 gpa.

Thanks for your help!

edit:

I am now also curious about stats 2D03 and 2MB3, thanks in advance.

Last edited by ramses : 05-22-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-22-2011 at 07:47 AM   #2
H.L.

Liked: 2 Times

Biology 3P03 (Cell Physiology)
- This is not a hard course, although it depends on whether you like action potentials, signal transuction pathways. It is all application based and has tradiontally been taught by Dr. Nurse who is a very fair and reasonable prof. He likes to make students think and puts an emphasis on concepts. There are two tests, each 2 hrs long, that comprise of definitons, true/false, calculations, drawing graphs, and short answers (many of the questions are made of many parts). The exam is a bit more trickier. With a little effort a definite 10 is possible.

Biology 2EE3 (Introduction to microbiology and biotechnology).
- This is definitely not a hard course in terms of content, however the tests are hit and miss in that the prof (Dr. Xu), can ask the most random questions (a combination of mc, true/false and SA when I took it a year ago). The problem with this course is the huge amount of content that you had to learn, it amoutned to around 1000 pages worth of textbook material that requires pure memorization,hence the random questions. Although I heard the tests this year were all true/false. For this reason alone, I would find it more challenging to achieve a 12. There are also labs, therefore marks can be a hit and miss with this component.

I do not know anything about Bio 3AA3, but I'm pretty sure it is not hard. In general, achieving a 10+ in a bio course is very doable. Hope this helps. I would also suggest these bio courses: Mol Biol 3HH3 (cytoplasm), Mol Biol 3H03 (nucleus), and Bio 2F03 (Ecology), these are definite 11's/12's.

Last edited by H.L. : 05-22-2011 at 09:18 AM.

myroodle, ramses all say thanks to H.L. for this post.

RyanC likes this.
Old 05-22-2011 at 09:58 AM   #3
ramses

Thanks so much.

I am also wondering the same about stats 2D03 and 2MB3. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 05-22-2011 at 11:03 AM   #4
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

I love it when people bring up Bio 2EE3 on this forum just cause it gives me another chance to publicly bash it. God, I hated this course, and I love bashing it. As mentioned above, the testing is hit and miss (but more so 'miss' than 'hit'). I studied profusely for both the midterm and final and still had to guess >80% of the questions. Think questions like this:

What is the highest magnification of a field microscope?
a) 0.001 nm
b) 0.01 nm
c) 0.1 nm
d) 1 nm
e) 10 nm

Ridiculous questions that don't test your knowledge of the subject, nor your ability to problem-solve.. but rather, how well can you recall this meaningless fact that appeared once on this obscure page of the textbook that doesn't even correspond to your lecture notes. IMO, anyone who actually sits down and memorizes this stuff is stupid. It's a test of stupidity.

There are two good things I will say about this course
1) The course material itself is amazingly interesting. The mechanism of how HIV invades cells... how beer/cheese/chocolate are made... how DNA is replicated in a prokaryote... awesome.
2) Marks are bell curved insanely. I think I should have failed the course (based on how many questions I had to guess/b.s. on the exam.. I literally wrote "derp" as one of my short answers) but ended up with a grade above 10.

There are definitely pros and cons to this course but if you want to preserve your sanity I would certainly not recommend not taking it unless you have to (i.e. you are in Mol Bio & Genetics and it is a requirement). Otherwise, stay far far away. Or if you're genuinely interested in the subject, just get a microbiology textbook from Chapters and read/learn about it on your own time. You'd probably learn more that way.

Worst structured course I've ever taken at McMaster.

Last edited by marcie : 05-22-2011 at 11:27 AM.

ramses, Scuderia all say thanks to marcie for this post.

Alchemist11, L'Étoile, RyanC like this.
Old 05-22-2011 at 11:46 AM   #5
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
Thanks so much.

I am also wondering the same about stats 2D03 and 2MB3. Any input would be appreciated.
Stats 2D03 is very different from 2B03. It's a probability course, and is thus somewhat theoretical (definitely a lot more theoretical than 2B, which is a methods course). It's meant for math and stats majors, so you'll cover quite a bit of material and will be expected to understand mathematical reasoning quite well, relative to 1st year courses in the discipline. There will probably be a proof or two as well.

2B03 is supposedly very easy, I wouldn't say quite the same for 2D03. A high mark is more than possible, but you'll likely have to put a little (or a lot, depending on your familiarity with probabilistic reasoning) more work than 2B03 to get one.

ramses says thanks to Mahratta for this post.
Old 05-22-2011 at 12:30 PM   #6
VoyozooT

Liked: 3 Times

I heard BIO 3P03 is the hardest physio course out there..

ramses says thanks to VoyozooT for this post.
Old 05-22-2011 at 06:57 PM   #7
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyozooT View Post
Would you happen to come across any details?
Old 05-22-2011 at 07:17 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

There's a course review of Bio 3AA3 here. Hope that helps!
Oh and Stats 2B03 here.
Old 05-22-2011 at 07:51 PM   #9
H.L.

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyozooT View Post
Yeah, it defnitely is not "easy", but a 10+ is definitely achievable. I would say Bio 3U03 (animal physiology, homeostasis) is probably one of the more difficult ones, possibly due to the labs.
Old 05-22-2011 at 08:07 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
Yeah, it defnitely is not "easy", but a 10+ is definitely achievable. I would say Bio 3U03 (animal physiology, homeostasis) is probably one of the more difficult ones, possibly due to the labs.
That's what I heard from a few friends as well =/. Speaking of Bio 3U03, how were the labs compared to Bio 2A03, I wasn't exactly fond of the Bio 2A03 labs, not only my TA's marking but also I didn't find that I learned much from them anyway. :S
Old 05-22-2011 at 09:05 PM   #11
R.L.

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
That's what I heard from a few friends as well =/. Speaking of Bio 3U03, how were the labs compared to Bio 2A03, I wasn't exactly fond of the Bio 2A03 labs, not only my TA's marking but also I didn't find that I learned much from them anyway. :S
The labs were more "technical" and hands on, in that you are required to use more equipment:

- To measure variables such as HR, SV, voltages etc., we used a a software that was hooked up to a plethysmograph and it gave us "live" readings on a computer (this is used for the majority of the labs)

- A frog dissection which was arguably the highlight of the lab. To test the effects of the PSNS and SNS on the heart, we used AD, NAD, ACh (to name a few) and we were able to quantify the changes since it was hooked up to a transducer

-Renal lab: to see the effects of different beverages on renal output and composition, students drank alcohol (yes, alcohol), water, caffeine, and other drinks. We then had to measure and calculate certain variables of our own urine output (ph, volume, % solids) over a 2 hour period every 30 minutes.

Labs were every week and alternated with a quiz (made by your T.A.) or a lab write-up. At the end of the term, you are required to write a lab test that is created by all of the T.A.s. You are also responsible for a lab seminar in a group (2-3 people) on a topic that is chosen at the start of term.

The labs are marked with same difficulty as the 2A03, but overall, it really does boil down to your T.A.. The quizzes are not difficult at all (all m.c.) and are out of 10. They simply test your understanding of the lab and the general concepts (i.e. know how to calculate HR from the data).

Hope this helps!

BlueWave, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to R.L. for this post.
Old 05-27-2011 at 01:31 PM   #12
Radar

Hi,
I'm going into the third year physiology specialization, and still need to take Bio 2F03 and Bio 3U03. They conflict this fall, but does anyone have an opinion on putting off 3U03 until fourth year? Just wondering about the course load because I will also (hopefully!) have a thesis to deal with in the fall of fourth year.
Thanks for any input!
Old 05-27-2011 at 01:53 PM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

@ R.L. Thank you so much for your input. It was really helpful
Old 05-27-2011 at 01:55 PM   #14
BlueWave

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Hi,
I'm going into the third year physiology specialization, and still need to take Bio 2F03 and Bio 3U03. They conflict this fall, but does anyone have an opinion on putting off 3U03 until fourth year? Just wondering about the course load because I will also (hopefully!) have a thesis to deal with in the fall of fourth year.
Thanks for any input!
You could take Ecology during the summer. (It's offered next term).
I think you should complete 3U03 during third year because its one of the main required core courses for physiology. Ecology is required too but at least you have the option of taking it in the summer whereas you don't have that option for Bio 3U03.

Radar says thanks to BlueWave for this post.
Old 05-27-2011 at 01:56 PM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Hi,
Thanks for any input!
I don't recommend leaving Bio 3U03 till 4th year, especially since that would mean leaving Bio 3UU3 till then as well. Also, with your thesis, I think it would be helpful to have the background knowledge from these 2 courses beforehand. If anything I would say postpone Bio 2F03 till 4th year or even, take it in the summer! It's usually offered. But anyway, contact the Bio department and see if there is anything that can be done.

Radar says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.